German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally brought our rescue Lab home today to meet Jake. Jake's barking at him and chasing him everywhere...is this normal? They seem to be playing nicely however when one wants a drink the other one wants a drink at the same time....not a big deal what so ever but Max, the Lab, snapps and barks at Jake when he sticks his nose in to get a drink too. Normal?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would get separate water dishes.....I have done that when I get fosters here...........keeps the peace.

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
Sounds like he may have a touch of food aggression. I agree with the seperate bowls but my dogs never much respected each others bowls...

I don't know how old your lab is but what we have done with our dogs is when we feed them or give them water, we keep our hands right on the bowl so that the dog is used to having a human or something near his face when he drinks or eats. It helps them prevent the aggression in the first place. Maybe you could try this with the lab and see if it does any good. Just hold the dish there for him and if he attempts to snap at you pull the dish away. Eventually he will learn that the only way he gets his food/water is if he is calm.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I also monitor the eating and drinking.......Ava is not allowed in another bowl and the others are not allowed in hers.......heck I dont even want DH snatching food off MY plate .... I have found that when I am the one to keep the peace with the food and such their trust in me skyrockets. I am fair, what I give to one is theirs, period. Now I will come by and trade up from time to time, but only for something really nummy and then they get their food bowl as well. win win

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max is 4 months old. I don't think he's going to work out sadly
I've tried seperate bowls, they insist on going to the same one. I let them into the house and they fought over the toys. Max started to chew on a pigs ear and when Jake walked by him to get into the kitchen to his water dish, Max went after him and latched onto his neck..... if I return him to the ASPCA they'll euthanize him so now I have to find him a new home....it would be nice if the shelter let you know these things BEFORE you adopt.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The shelter probably didn't know these things. Two puppies is really tough, even when one doesn't have issues.

Here are some ideas:

Feed them in separate rooms.
Don't allow them to have toys when both are out together.
Work on NILIF and basic obedience skills with Max.
Crate and rotate. Don't have them both out together all of the time.
There is a great book on resource guarding by Jean Donaldson called "Mine."

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Start feeding in separate rooms...one in kitchen one in bathroom or laundry room etc..... I physically step between them. Ava will eat on one side of the kitchen and Manny the other....if she started over there and there was food in the bowl........I body blocked and sent her back to her dish or made her do a down stay....same thing with Manny...I stepped between them, Manny had the resource guarding, I only gave treats to Manny in his crate and toys were kept up and only out one at a time with my direct supervision.......
If all esle fails.......feed them completely separately and at different times and crate one while the other eats, keep items away from the general area........they can play with toys with you, but not by themselves if the other dogs is out.

Since he is only 4 months it can be turned around I think...If you dont feel he can work in your home please dont return him to the ASPCA, contact a rescue in your area, I think there are several that would take him on once they do the evaluation. How close are you to NC?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
seems like they need more time to adjust and they need to learn who is in charge. seems you are giving up awfully easily......

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
IMHO...

dorothy, any new dog brought into your home should never be exposed to your current dog(s) for quite a long time. they should always be fed separately, toileted individually, etc., there is a period of adjustment which varies depending upon the dog(s). this is where the saying "gate, crate, and rotate" comes from.

often times the shelter/pound/animal control doesn't know/doesn't care about an animal's true temperment, there is a condition called "shelter shock", which sometimes makes it impossible to assess these things.

there is a wealth of wonderful information on this board from various people who have vast knowledge about all aspects of rescue work, behavior, training, and integrating animals into a new home situation with the resident dog/pack.

if i am reading your post correctly you are on your FIRST DAY of having this new dog in your home. wanting to rescue an animal is a noble cause (and many times a huge undertaking in terms of time and patience), expecting him/her to adjust to a new situation in one day is not realistic and unfair to both dogs.

is your living situation such that you can keep them separate until they have a better opportunity to adjust to each other?

ps...went to your website, your art is simply beautiful.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Our older dog never did like the the puppy by his food dish. We just fed separately and taught Lucy to stay away from Sam's dish. She learned real quick. Don't give up so soon. Read the advice from some of these great people and give Max a chance. He can come around with lots of love and obedience.
Good Luck and Keep Trying!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also, wasn't Max just neutered on Friday afternoon, and you were able to bring him home Friday night? Max may just be a little touchy right now, with the new home and recovering from surgery. Labs are generally very good natured dogs. I would echo the advice given above, he needs a little separation and a little time to adjust to everything.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
wonder if no news is good news for max?

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
How about crates? Crate each dog separately when it comes time to feeding. Control water bowl access as well. NILIF as was mentioned, more exercise, more training, both together but especially individually, etc. I also agree that taking on two puppies at the same time is a HUGE undertaking that rarely ends well- all that time that must go to two puppies is really better spent on one puppy alone, making sure it grows up into the best canine citizen it can be. It's very, very tough to say no to a dog, especially one that's cute and in trouble. I would love to take on a second dog right now but I know that that is a ridiculously stupid idea. My dog needs a ton of work and unless I adopt a role model dog, it's going to drag everyone down and the ones that suffer most are the four-legged furballs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts