German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new on here and this is my first time owning a German shepherd so I have this 15 week old male that I got a month and a half ago and my younger sister wanted a pup as well so my parents decided to get her one as well and well when we introduced them to each other it went pretty bad my male pup went all crazy and was really playful but then he got to playful and started running over her and she's 9 weeks old so she's a tiny thing while he's a growing boy, anyways she would bark at him when he would get close to her and then he started nipping at her at first it was playful but now it's getting agressive like he's aiming to bite her so we had to separate the two, and the female cries cause she's all alone but I can't put her with him so it's been keeping me up all night and I don't know what to do or how to stop him from eventually hurting her any honestly can help please I keep telling him no and to stop and I'll swat him away but like when I set the puppy down he goes for her and I just need help to solve this problem thank you for any comments!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi I'm new on here and this is my first time owning a German shepherd. I have this 15 week old male that I got a month and a half ago. My younger sister wanted a pup as well, so my parents decided to get her one.

When we introduced them to each other it went pretty bad. My male pup went all crazy and was really playful. Then he got too playful and started running over her. She's 9 weeks old so she's a tiny thing, while he's a growing boy. Anyways, she would bark at him when he would get close to her. Then he started nipping at her. At first it was playful, but now it's getting aggressive, like he's aiming to bite her. We had to separate the two.

The female cries cause she's all alone. I can't put her with him so it's been keeping me up all night. I don't know what to do, or how to stop him from eventually hurting her. Honestly. can help please. I keep telling him no, and to stop. I'll swat him away, but, like, when I set the puppy down he goes for her.

I just need help to solve this problem, thank you for any comments!

Hi Emily, what are your sister, and parents doing to help? Now would be a good time to think if you are a one puppy family, as it's going to get a lot harder for many months before it get easier.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
he wants to play. she's simply smaller than he is and easily overwhelmed. Remember, he's a baby too and he doesn't realize how big he is nor how strong.

look up littermate syndrome. you need to get a plan in place now to handle having 2 pups in the same house.
tire him out with exercise and training before letting them play together can be a good step to making things easier for her.

·
Registered
346 Posts
HI,
Rocco and Beya are about 6 weeks apart in age. When we brought Beya home we had the same issue with the larger older Rocco wanting to play and Beya not yet ready for that. This is how we worked with this situation to both protect the younger and allow them to bond and play. First I never corrected them for playing rough. This is what GSD do, they bite grab and play fight. What we did was watch for an escalation point that made it unsafe for Beya then stepped in. I might practice a down-stay with them to take their mind off play and allow them to calm down. This never took more than a couple of min and I tried to make it as fun as I could for the puppies so it was a game and they could win. We worked quite a few different drills during the growing up phase of play. Also, the one puppy crying when you separate them is very normal. GSDs are very social and want to be with each the all the time. One challenge you might have to work through going forward is the two puppies not wanting to be separated.
Good Luck, and congratulations on your puppies! Post pictures!

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Your female will most likely always be smaller in size and at risk for injury. If your male is playing rough, and not all GSDs do, I would definitely correct it or they may never be able to play together without your female getting hurt.

What are your female's sleeping arrangements that she cries all night?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yeah correct it until until you see she is big and fast enough to handle him. If you get pups it is usually good to get them close to the same size/age.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I just saw this. 3 people new to GSD ownership with two puppies about the same ages. They are braver than I am. I know we talk about this often, and yet it still comes up all the time. I have mentioned a friend who trains dogs for a companion program, for the Deaf or for PTSD, etc. Their rule is no puppies in the house the entire time the service dog is being trained. Only one puppy at a time, so the dog will learn better and will bond with the handler, and so there aren't bad habits introduced from one to another. I realize these dogs here are all pets. I wonder how the socialization and early training is going. The first post was about 2 weeks ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts