German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Sky got too giddy with the jumper pulling and one of her canines cracked; her pulp is exposed so we took her to the vet tonight and shes booked in for a removal tomorrow.

She is only 14 weeks old - my question is, from your experience will this cause any issues? Such as when her adult tooth comes through? The poor little thing will have to be put to sleep too :( im gutted.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Poor Sky!

I had a problem like this too with my dog Otto. There is a thread on here some where about the issue I had. Otto had two broken canies around the same age as Sky. Took him to the vet. He acted like there was nothing wrong at all. But I was very concerned. Didn't have them removed they wanted to charge a pretty penny(like $700.00). After talking with 3 other vets they told me that his adult teeth would come in fine. If not to take him back into the the vet and have them removed.... Today he is great and his teeth came in fine. I'm not saying not to go but, good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I may have read the thread; was Otto's pulp exposed? I really don't think we have a choice on this one, which is really bugging me. Unfortunately its a large piece of her canine so it broke quite near the gum... we really arent having much luck at the moment.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I remember just a little on the right tooth. It wasn't bothering him though. I took him to vet to have checked out though. I was just worried about putting him under. Heard so many bad things about it. How it's hard on younger and older dogs ect.....That's why I checked with other vets. They did give me antibiotics and puppy aspirin for pain as needed. Is sky eating ok?? Stools good? It's totally up to you and the health of the dog. You know what's best for Sky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shes definitely herself, still eating.. still biting and pulling our clothes the little rascal! It must be tender because it looks quite close to the gum line; personally I want extraction to be a last resort because I'm a big worrier. But I don't think we can leave it because of the high risk of infection - I've been reading up and I might suggest a root canal or vital pulpotomy?

Luckily its just 24 hours since she did it so we can treat her nice and early whatever our vet suggests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts