German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month baby girl has broken her back middle toe playing outside. I have read horrible stories about splints and infections from splints. Any advice? I'm pretty sure my vet will follow other vets practices with using splints. I have limited her exercise, will her toe heal without a splint?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Never had one actually break the toe. We thought Tuke broke one of her front middle toes. It was swollen, so we took her in and had it X-rayed. Just a bad sprain and no splint. They gave up carprofen and we tried to keep her from jumping, that about it. How bad is her break?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have had them broken (verified) with and without splinting and I feel that it healed better without. What that means though is about 8 weeks, yes WEEKS of maily crate rest and only going outside on lead to potty. No running around.

Have not had a back one break though ... normally it has been a front one, presumably from stepping into a hole while running in the woods as that is where they have all happened.

Definitely need a vet trip but I think going tomorrow would be fine as long as you pretty much keep her crated until then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts