German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Blitz somehow broke his dew claw. So we are waiting at the vets to be seen. What exactly can I expect the outcome to be? Whole claw removal?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If it's just the nail, they will most likely just trim it up so it's not split and nothing is hanging off that can get caught. Easy fix.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm sorry. I don't know. Let us know how you make out.

My old dog fell down the steps today. Is this a GSD Christmas Eve thing? I told her not to chase the squirrels. She is sooo hard-headed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the vet, he had to be sedated so that they could remove it. He's pretty groggy now.

Vet sent us home with some pain meds to give him this evening.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
AWWW! I hate the sad German Shepherd face. My old girl is 13. I almost had a heart attack when I saw her sprawled on the patio today. She only fell down the last few steps, but she landed on her side and got up limping. Between her and my 85 year old mother, I'm just waiting for somebody to break a hip. Neither one listens to me. Fortunately, they are both fine as of tonight.

Give Blitz a big kiss from us. Spoil him rotten and he will be fine in no time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So It's been about 4 hours...He's not drinking any water but ate a treat and is still groggy...I'm always paranoid about any kind of sedation...

I'm a total wreck.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your best bet is to just put your dog to bed for the night and let him sleep it off. Feel free to wake him up in a few hours for a potty break and then put him back to bed. I would not try and feed a sedated dog as they could aspirate it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I decided against feeding him. I'm going to take him out for a potty break before bed then back to crate. He's looking a bit perkier now though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts