German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dog trainer performed a free demo at our house with her amazingly well trained Begian Malinois.

I was a little concerned when I found out that she recommends an ecollar, but when I felt the "buzz" I realized it doesn't actually shock the dog, just jars them back to attention. She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.

I signed up for one-on-one sessions and am very excited. My back can no longer take her bolting after squirrels. She just started that recently.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
You are doing the training WITH the trainer, right?

I also use the e-collar for crittering, but have to say it's only after all the normal months of group dog obedience classes. That way I know I've tried everything else (that usually works on other dogs) before resorting to the e-collar.

Even the e-collar isn't a the quick fix it initially appears to be. You still need the months and months of training so your dog really learns the commands, not just learns to obey when they have the collar on.

Over half the people I know that use the collar fail to do it properly. They don't keep the collar on the dog for the necessary MONTHS. And instead end up with a collar smart dog. That doesn't listen when you forget to put the collar on and that darn squirrel darts past and you just have to watch them both tear off and away...................................

Good luck though, and if you do go with the trainer, PLEASE realize you are committing to putting that e-collar on your dog for the next months and months and months if you really want to train your dog.

Also helps to read up on the e-collars, have you seen Lou Castle's site? http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My friend adopted a 1 yr old untrained Malinois, very sweet but WILD. she has made much progress with the e collar, good luck,
keep training:) it works according to her, she has arthritis in her hands, it was a must, she wanted to take him for walks, etc now she can:)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: gslore She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.
Was this set at the lowest setting for starters? If your dog jumped like that it sounds like it may have been set higher.

Not against e-collars. I have one in my bag. But I thought when first using it, you start at the lowest setting a move it up until the dog acknowledges the tingle-with a raised eye or head movement.

Good Luck - let the training begin!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input!

It was set extremely low. I could barely feel the buzz. But, it definitely got Schatzi's attention.

We did a few months of obedience training and she knows her commands, but she still walks me. Squirrels are a definite issue, but I really get worried when she goes after cars. That's gotten better, but I'm still uncomfortable enough with it to hire a professional.

Yes, I have several sessions (over a good period of time) with the trainer so I can learn how to properly use it. There is no way I would attempt to use an ecollar without being properly trained myself. I've heard how it can easily be misused.

Thanks for sending that link. I will read up on the ecollar.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The e collar works differently on different dogs. Marley has one and she jumps sky high when it beeps the warning!!! The lowest setting is all I have ever had to use. It is a buzzing feeling. Sort of like holding a vibrator in your hand???

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54
Originally Posted By: gslore She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.
Was this set at the lowest setting for starters? If your dog jumped like that it sounds like it may have been set higher.
There are not uncommon such reactions the firt time an e-collar is put on a dog. It is something absolutely unexpected for them and it is more the dog being startled than actually in pain. They may even yelp, like when you are seeing an horror movie or a friend give you a scare from behind.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Here's some video of what it looks like when a dog I'm training feels his first stim. If you get a dog "jumping a couple of feet in the air" I'll say that the level is quite a bit too high for that dog in that environment.

LOOK HERE.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Your comment about the collar smart dog hit home. My son has a very high energy yellow lab. When the collar is on the dog is perfect, when the collar is off we just call him "wild child."

·
Banned
15 Posts
Originally Posted By: gsloreThanks all for the input!

It was set extremely low. I could barely feel the buzz. But, it definitely got Schatzi's attention.

We did a few months of obedience training and she knows her commands, but she still walks me. Squirrels are a definite issue, but I really get worried when she goes after cars. That's gotten better, but I'm still uncomfortable enough with it to hire a professional.

Yes, I have several sessions (over a good period of time) with the trainer so I can learn how to properly use it. There is no way I would attempt to use an ecollar without being properly trained myself. I've heard how it can easily be misused.

Thanks for sending that link. I will read up on the ecollar.

what's the trainer's name and How do we contact her?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was always taught/told you first have to place a dummy collar on the dog or at the very least place the collar on the dog with out using the stim with it for at least 1 week before using the collar?

Also recently was told before going out to practice place the collar on the dog 1 hour before practice or working?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: Berg Wanderer I was always taught/told you first have to place a dummy collar on the dog or at the very least place the collar on the dog with out using the stim with it for at least 1 week before using the collar?

Also recently was told before going out to practice place the collar on the dog 1 hour before practice or working?
http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm has good info

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Originally Posted By: Berg Wanderer I was always taught/told you first have to place a dummy collar on the dog or at the very least place the collar on the dog with out using the stim with it for at least 1 week before using the collar?

Some trainers place a dummy collar (one that has the weight and feel of an Ecollar –but does not have the electronics "guts") on the dog for as long as three months before starting training. Few people have that kind of time and I don't find it necessary. I've also come across dogs who can tell the difference between the dummy collar and the real one. If this is your dog and you want to do this, just use the real collar but don't turn it on.

When a dog performs when the Ecollar is on but does not when it's not, it's a training flaw called being "collar wise" or "collar smart." It can happen with any collar, it's not inherent in the Ecollar. The problem is created by trainers who put the collar on the dog, go train and then take it off as soon as training is over. You can do this with any collar, or even something as benign as a bandanna.

Thanks to Maggie Rose Lee for posting the link to my site that mentions this. The specific article that discusses this is HERE. It's Myth #20.

I recommend putting the Ecollar on the dog first thing in the morning (if you're going to be home – if not, put it on when you do come home) and then taking it off just before bed. Do this whether or not you plan to go training. That way the dog will not make the association between the Ecollar being on and getting stimmed. If you do this be sure to move it around on the dog's neck every 3-4 hours to avoid sores that can develop. Some people take it off and put it on randomly during the day. Doing this at the start of training and then once–in–a–while will keep the dog from becoming collar–smart.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks Lou! My guys are not collar smart thank goodness. But it is just stuff I have been told and do not know if it was true or not.

"Some people take it off and put it on randomly during the day. Doing this at the start of training and then once–in–a–while will keep the dog from becoming collar–smart"

I kind of did this on my own so Yeah good for me I did something right and did not know it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts