German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice about bringing New Pup home in a few weeks.

I can bring New Pup home at 7 weeks old ... keep New Pup here at home for 2 weeks to train and bond ... then bring New Pup back to breeder to pet sit for a week over Christmas when I go out of town (plans made for me that I can't back out of).

-or-

I can wait until after Christmas and bring New Pup home at age 11 weeks.

Will it warp the young pup's mind to be transplanted that many times in a matter of weeks? First taken away from Mom, brought here to bond, then taken away from me and back to breeder's house, then back to ME again.

Is there any repercussion to Pup to wait until it's 11 weeks old to come home? I'm not THAT desperate for puppy breath that I'd sacrifice it's health and welfare ... I'm willing to wait. *grin*

I've been reading and trying to learn about the different stages of a puppy's development, learning, and growth each week when it's young to try and make this decision. The first idea was actually the breeder's suggestion, the second was mine.

With all of your experience, what do you guys think? :help:

Thanks muchly!

Carol

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:)I say be patient and wait until 11 weeks it will benefit the pup much much more

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Very good question. It would kill me not to have my puppy @ 8 weeks - 10 weeks but I understand it needs to be whats best for the puppy. I would take my puppy home and bring him/her back for the week because after 8 weeks all the puppies are gone and they are basically just being doggie sat anyway. My thoughts anyhew.

·
Super Moderator
32,415 Posts
Do you know what kind and how much socialization the breeder will do in those extra weeks? On one hand it would probably be less disruptive to leave the puppy there until you're back from your trip, but if she's not going to do any socialization during that time, then I'd want to take the puppy so I could do it myself. I wouldn't want to waste the most critical period in my puppy's development, because you can't get that time back. I guess what it comes down to is do you trust the breeder to put as much time and effort into socialization as you would if you had the puppy yourself?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I agree with Debbie.

Also, is the breeder going to be keeping the puppy alone so that it doesn't spend that extra time at their place bonding with other dogs rather than humans?

If the puppy is of sound temperment, I don't feel that you taking it home, then taking it back to the breeder, then back home will effect it in a bad way.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would take it home, then back...those two weeks are sooo precious, you'd miss out big time! And agree with Tracy, temperament should be fine enough that pup is ok with the back and forth. Congrats on your new baby:)

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would get the pup.

Can the pup not go on the vacation with you? At that age, they are so little they are easy to transport.... ;)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would wait and bring the puppy home at 11 weeks.

I got my GSD Sinister when he was 11 weeks old, he had a bigger bladder and a better attention span than an 7-8 week old puppy.

:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your breeder will socialize, I'd just wait. I brought Zeke home @ 12 weeks, and he'd been super-socialized and had awesome bite inhibition. Yes, I missed out on the super-cute tiny puppy stage BUT I also brought home well-adjusted, crate-trained, mostly house-trained (he's only had ONE accident, which was my fault) puppy. For our family (we have two teens and a 1 year old) it worked out perfectly!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Me personally I'd take it home. My pup is now 11 weeks and so far there has only been one day total since I got him at 7 weeks that I haven't taken him somewhere other than home for socialization and interaction with other people and for experience with new sights, sounds, and textures underfoot. This is nothing against breeders but this sort of socialization is very important to me and I wouldn't expect someone else to be as thorough as I am, especially someone who already has their own dogs to care for and possibly other puppies in addition to mine. I've made some major lifestyle adjustments to accommodate the puppy, I can't imagine how anyone would have the time to do it for multiple dogs at once. Crate training and house training by the breeder is a plus but I just see these as things that are my responsibility when getting a puppy.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Me personally I'd take it home. My pup is now 11 weeks and so far there has only been one day total since I got him at 7 weeks that I haven't taken him somewhere other than home for socialization and interaction with other people and for experience with new sights, sounds, and textures underfoot. This is nothing against breeders but this sort of socialization is very important to me and I wouldn't expect someone else to be as thorough as I am, especially someone who already has their own dogs to care for and possibly other puppies in addition to mine. I've made some major lifestyle adjustments to accommodate the puppy, I can't imagine how anyone would have the time to do it for multiple dogs at once. Crate training and house training by the breeder is a plus but I just see these as things that are my responsibility when getting a puppy.
:thumbup::toasting:

Leaving the puppy with the breeder, there is no guarantee that the puppy won't either sit in a kennel alone for 4 weeks, OR sit in a kennel with a bunch of other puppies and bond to them even more than it would have by 7 weeks.

IMO them being older makes housebreaking harder. Sure they can hold it longer, BUT that also means it is a little harder to now when they will need to "go".

Personally I don't see the breeder doing a lot of outside socialization with someone elses puppy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the opinions, y'all! I'm leaning towards bringing him/her home at the 7 week mark so I can start socializing. I think you're right, I highly doubt they'll have the time to give my one pup the individual focus and attention that I could for two weeks, even if I then lose a little bit of that training in the week that he/she goes back to the breeder for puppy-sitting.

I SOOO wish I could bring him/her (I should know in the next week or two when their personalities start to develop more, which the gender will be - I have my eye on a sable male, but we're going to check temperaments first) on vacation with me, but I'm going on a cruise ... I dont think the ship is conducive for housebreaking. *grin*

I visited with the pups a few days ago and took some pictures, they're so fuzzy .. yipping and yapping and tail-wagging ... will post them above soon. They're growing so fast!!

I'm still considering, so please continue to share your thoughts and opinions. I want what's best for New Pup! (I don't really have a name singled out yet ... but that's another issue!! ;) )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts