German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm bringing a new ASL GSD puppy home in about three weeks. He will be about 8-9 weeks old when I pick him up. I'm wondering what size travel crate to get for him for our long trip home in the car, which will be about 12 hours.

I'm stuck between two options:

1. 28" L x 20.5" W x 21.5" H (recommended for 25-30 lbs.)
2. 32" L x 22.5" W x 24" H (recommended for 30-50 lbs.)

It's a standard hard plastic travel crate. I have a different crate at home that I will use for training that is adjustable to fit his size as he grows. I plan to use this one only for the long drive home from the breeder and will probably give it away to a friend with a small dog once I'm done with it.

I'm not sure what size he will be around the 8-9 week mark, but I'm trying to plan ahead. I'd like for him to be comfortable in there given the long drive, although we'll be stopping about once an hour for bathroom/exercise breaks. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I like the size that they can lie down and turn around easily, but not have a ton of room in when traveling. Less likely for the pup to think they can potty in the crate. The first one should work unless the pup is a very big puppy.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
I personally would use a temporary smaller crate that I can put next to me on the back seat if I have a driver or else in the front passenger seat if I am by myself in order for the pup to be close to me and not be alone (bring some towels to roll up in order level the crate) I only made the mistake once by putting a pup in the back in a crate and drive alone with the pup crying in his unfamiliar crate.
If you have a driver I would keep him on my lap in the back seat for when he is sleepy or give him something to chew on when awake, alternating it with time in his crate but being able to see, touch and smell you.
Enjoy this time, you are going to have a GSD puppy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally would use a temporary smaller crate that I can put next to me on the back seat if I have a driver or else in the front passenger seat if I am by myself in order for the pup to be close to me and not be alone (bring some towels to roll up in order level the crate) I only made the mistake once by putting a pup in the back in a crate and drive alone with the pup crying in his unfamiliar crate.
If you have a driver I would keep him on my lap in the back seat for when he is sleepy or give him something to chew on when awake, alternating it with time in his crate but being able to see, touch and smell you.
Enjoy this time, you are going to have a GSD puppy!
That's a good idea. I will have my partner with me to help with the driving, so one of us would be able to sit in the back with the pup to ease his nerves (although we have not met the puppy in person yet, not sure how comfortable he'll be with two total strangers next to him, haha.) We have a large SUV so I think the smaller of the two crates might fit on the back seat with enough room for one person to sit next to it, and we can alternate crate time and "free" time. I also definitely plan to bring some chews/toys to keep him occupied for the long ride. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Bring some rags or towels for the puppy to sleep with and rub around the whelping box to get moms scent. Be sure not to stop where ever dogs are or have been, like gas station grass and highway rest stops to keep from getting parvo virus, deadly to un fully vaccinated puppies. And you lucky ducks! You have a baby dog :)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts