German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up our 8 week old puppy to bring him home soon and am trying to decide how best to transport him. I will be travelling alone and the journey is around 2.5 hours, so would like to have him on the front seat next to me. He has a x large crate ready for him at home, so to avoid buying 2 crates I initially bought a (quite large) soft sided doggy car seat, but now I have the problem of getting the right sized collar or harness to secure him in it and whether he will be freaked out by wearing a harness that he’s not used to! I’m wondering whether I’d be better off buying a small crate to have in the front with me instead?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's a long first trip and could set you up for car sickness and then hating the car. Make a few rest stops where he can stretch his legs and relieve himself. Is there any chance to take a friend with you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked him up last Saturday. Due to covid-19 I didn’t have the choice of taking anyone with me, and was wary of putting him down at rest stops due to not being fully vaccinated (although I was prepared to stop if there were any car sickness incidents). Thankfully I didn’t need to worry as he was an absolute angel - cried for 2 minutes at first (because he doesn’t like being cooped up) and then slept for the next 2 hours! No accidents or sickness at all (I was genuinely shocked at how easy the journey home was).
FYI I used a large travel crate lined with pee pads and a soft blanket, and took some chew toys to keep him entertained! 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts