German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm bringing my pup to meet another dog for a playdate. I saw this person's posting on craigslist and I always want Dante to have a chance to socialize and play with other dogs so I contacted her and we've arranged to meet tomorrow. She lives about 30 minutes away from where I live. Any suggestions for this type of thing? She has a husky/shepherd mix.

I guess what I'm asking is: Have people heard bad things about craigslist meeting strangers with dogs? (Turning into a dog kidnapping scheme?) Any words of advice on caution and/or etiquette?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'd be a little leary of meeting someone off CL. If you can have a friend go with you and carry your cell phone at all times. Are you meeting at their home or a open field? Is the location you are going fenced in? Did you ask what type of personality their dog has around strange dogs? I'd also drive past the location a few times before actually stopping. This way you can see if it is a safe place to get out or a place you dont feel safe to be alone at with a stranger. If at all possible don't go inside the home if you are meeting at their home try to stay outside and in view of your car if possible.

As far as if it checks out to be safe keep you dog on leash but have it on the ground and stand on it. This way the other dog doesnt react to you holding a leash and thinks the dog is free. Let them sniff for a few mins and back them off and keep eyes out for body language bwt the two dogs. Some hackling with wagging tails is ok but any growling, teeth showing etc is not. If at any point you dont feel comfortable tell the person and head home. Some dogs get along great with all dogs and some dont. Hopefully everything will be great and you will make a good play date friend. If not ask on here if anyone is local and interested in a get together.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Stay totally public in open spaces. Take someone with you. Tell someone where you are, when you're there and when you'll be back. Check in immediately afterwards. Chances are you'll be safe, but there's also a slim chance you're not ... and you obviously feel that, you're asking the questions. Don't give any personal information at this stage, I wouldn't let this person know where you live.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be a little leary of meeting someone off CL. If you can have a friend go with you and carry your cell phone at all times. Are you meeting at their home or a open field? Is the location you are going fenced in? Did you ask what type of personality their dog has around strange dogs? I'd also drive past the location a few times before actually stopping. This way you can see if it is a safe place to get out or a place you dont feel safe to be alone at with a stranger. If at all possible don't go inside the home if you are meeting at their home try to stay outside and in view of your car if possible.

As far as if it checks out to be safe keep you dog on leash but have it on the ground and stand on it. This way the other dog doesnt react to you holding a leash and thinks the dog is free. Let them sniff for a few mins and back them off and keep eyes out for body language bwt the two dogs. Some hackling with wagging tails is ok but any growling, teeth showing etc is not. If at any point you dont feel comfortable tell the person and head home. Some dogs get along great with all dogs and some dont. Hopefully everything will be great and you will make a good play date friend. If not ask on here if anyone is local and interested in a get together.
Their dog is really friendly and energetic dog, so she says. I just slept it on and I decided that yea, you guys are right, I should be a bit leery of meeting strangers on CL. The possible risk outweighs the reward.

As far as I know, only llombardo lives somewhat close to where I do, but it's hard to find a public fenced in area that allows dogs. lol.

Stay totally public in open spaces. Take someone with you. Tell someone where you are, when you're there and when you'll be back. Check in immediately afterwards. Chances are you'll be safe, but there's also a slim chance you're not ... and you obviously feel that, you're asking the questions. Don't give any personal information at this stage, I wouldn't let this person know where you live.
Yea, you're right. The slim chance of something not good happening (I"m more worried about possible dog kidnapping schemes, where you hear about people taking dogs into cars and running) than anything happening to myself.

Thanks for your advice folks! :apple:

·
Registered
147 Posts
whew. thank you for changing your mind. LOL.

the thought sounds nice...but thats too risky for me.

ever go to dog training classes? would be a great place to get to know people and possible work out playdates

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got Dante when I was at college, so I've never had a chance to go to dog training classes. On top of the time issues, I'm also a poor college student so my wallet is pretty thin lol. That being said, I have put a huge amount of time and energy into training him myself, getting him socialized, taking him for walks, exercising him, etc. :)

I'm always looking for more dogs for him to play with though! Especially ones that have a lot of energy and are used to jumping on each other and knocking each other over.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yes, very bad idea to meet with a total stranger. I'm glad you cancelled. I only do play dates with people I know. Jas and another GSD puppy that took a class together meet a lot. The gal tried to get a hold of me one day but i was at work. She had her dog in her van when she was at work. ( This was before it got hot.) She took the dog to the dog park over lunch thinking she could throw a ball for him anyway. Her dog got all excited when she got there. She said she thinks he thought Jas was going to be there. he ran in, looked around, then laid down under the picnic table , ignored the ball and wouldn't move. LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, very bad idea to meet with a total stranger. I'm glad you cancelled. I only do play dates with people I know. Jas and another GSD puppy that took a class together meet a lot. The gal tried to get a hold of me one day but i was at work. She had her dog in her van when she was at work. ( This was before it got hot.) She took the dog to the dog park over lunch thinking she could throw a ball for him anyway. Her dog got all excited when she got there. She said she thinks he thought Jas was going to be there. he ran in, looked around, then laid down under the picnic table , ignored the ball and wouldn't move. LOL
Lol! That's hilarious.

And LaRen, you're like an hour and a half away :(

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Work is starting to slow down for me:) I just can't think of any fenced in areas in this area:confused: Taking 2 GSD's to a park where kids are will not go over big in this area at all. There is a dog park in Woodridge/Naperville, but if anyone gets caught in there without a permit, there will be a fine. They do offer daily passes and if we can pick a day when its not crowded that might not be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
There is a place in Joliet or Plainfield that does not require permits, but then that means dogs without vaccinations are allowed. There is a pet expo next weekend that is allowing behaved, vaccinated dogs that would be good for socialization

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a free dog park in Aurora. Here is the thing though. I know what people say about dog parks and I usually only used it because I live in a townhouse and there is no place for my dog to run. I would use it to play frisbee with her when there weren't any dogs or very few. She was really good around other dogs until I went on a weekend. Some lady brought her dog in and it attacked one and went after mine and jumped on her and started biting the heck out of her. The lady tried to blame it on my dog when she was minding her own business. Now she has fear aggression :(
So just be careful. Let the dogs meet each other and keep a very close eye on them because dog fights happen so fast. Also, if there are more than a few dogs there be careful because it can be overwhelming.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
oh your poor dog. i was just discussing this with someone that Jas has never been in a dog fight. She likes all dogs and I hope it stays that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts