German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my GSD puppy isn't 8 week's yet she turned 6 week's yesterday but we are keeping her at the breeder's out until she is 8 week's but until then I am trying to get as ready as possible and learn alot before she arrives in about 14 day's. We currently have a 2- 2 1/2 year old Black lab female she's really sweet but sometimes she can get WAY to hyper and run's like crazy around the house I am kinda concerned on how my new puppy will react to Molly * black lab* when she first arrive's. How did you introduce a GSD puppy to his or her new companion. The only reason why I ask this is because she started to cry a little when I went to see her the other day and picked her up and I wouldn't want to scare the tar outta her by bringing her home to a big grinning black lab. thanks for any and all help. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
really just do a slow introduction and dont leave them alone unsupervised. Your pup should adjust easily enough and before you know it, you'll have two trouble makers! lol. The only thing that concerns me is the fact you picked her up and she cried. She should be used to be handled ie. picked up, feet messed with... she should have been started on all that already. if not, i'm concerned as to how she would react to other things as well. HOWEVER thats not to say she would be scared her whole life. She may just need more socialization and exercises to accustom her to being picked up and handled. Just make sure all her experiences are positive when you've got her shots up to date and she's done getting boosters. i definitely wouldnt recommend taking her to dog parks for a very long time and she should be allowed to go to pet stores until she's gotten all her shots taken care of. And if you do take her to a pet store, she should not be allowed to walk on the floors before her shots are done for health reasons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw her before she was 6 weeks old and she seemed pretty skittish but she has a good family with good parent's but I think she hasn't been handled very much but her brother on the other hand was all over my feet! :p The breeder is going to be taking care of the 6 weeks shot's I'm getting the 8 week stuff taking care of and after that I hope to walk her and take her to the park alot.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
When I did introductions with my previous female who was 10 at the time with the new pup. I brought her into the street and presented the behind of the new pup to her. Then we did a small walk down the street then into the house. We live in a rural subdivision so that worked good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definitely keep that in mind I just want to make this new experience as comfortable as possible for my new GSD. :D

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
can you take Molly to visit the new pup several times
before you bring her home? wrap the new pup in a towel
and bring that towel home for Molly to smell. when
i brought my 9 week old pup home my GF leashed
our Grey Hound and we let the dogs meet in the driveway.
when the puppy came into the house he walked around checking
things out. then he laid down with one the Grey Hounds bones
and settled in. the Grey Hound went into the bedroom
and didn't want to have anything to do with the pup.
over time they worked it out. i kept the pup away from the Grey Hound as much as possible. i never left in a room unattended, not for
a second.

when our Grey Hound went blind we use to
give our Shepherd her leash and he would walk her
several miles (in the woods or city) without letting go of the her leash.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be able to try that those are both good idea's. Though molly was all over me after I came back from seeing the puppy which I was holding her and petting her and playing with her paw's. Molly wouldn't stop smelling me for an hour straight when I got back!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Welcome to another fellow Texan! Congrats on your new pup! Please post pictures as soon as you can!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
When we brought Ace home it had been a long ride so we put him down in the front yard to potty. Our 17mo old yellow lab was all the time watching out the window so she new there was a new puppy outside. She had never been agressive around other dogs so I was more concerned that she might hurt the pup with her size and weight more than being aggressive to it. She moves at 100mph and is like a tank, she was a little pushy and didn't like sharing her toys but I got him for her to have a play companion and that is what they do constantly. He is as tall now as her but she is more than double his weight. I think your dogs will be fine also when they finally get to be together, just be sure when you make over the puppy make over the lab to so no jealousy is felt. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I agree Molly my black lab is sweet and if a burglar broke in she'd probably lead them to the good stuff! But I am concerned with the height and weight factor. And I allready figured on buying a good bit of toy's and snacks for both of them so neither feel left out. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
I brought my 8wk old pup home yesterday, and am going through the introductions with our yr old female. I've never done this before so don't have many suggestions, but it is keeping me on my toes, to say the least! Abby is just so much bigger, has no experience with pups, and plays very rough at the best of times, usually. We're getting there though, and the pup is settling in well and coming out of his shell.
Thankfully, Abby listens and obeys me very well, and that is really helping.

Good luck and congrats on the pup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I did introductions with my previous female who was 10 at the time with the new pup. I brought her into the street and presented the behind of the new pup to her. Then we did a small walk down the street then into the house. We live in a rural subdivision so that worked good.
Thanks for the tip vat! I too have a 10-year-old black lab that I am going to be introducing a 8-week-old GSD to soon. We will see how that goes!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah I saw her before she was 6 weeks old and she seemed pretty skittish but she has a good family with good parent's but I think she hasn't been handled very much but her brother on the other hand was all over my feet! :p The breeder is going to be taking care of the 6 weeks shot's I'm getting the 8 week stuff taking care of and after that I hope to walk her and take her to the park alot.
The skittish does concern me too. Make sure to socialize her alot to handling and other people to avoid fear issues in her. Very easy to do. I call it 100 people in 100 days. Every size, age, race, sex that you can find. Do keep away from dog parks and other dogs that are not "safe".

We had a 6 year old lab when we got our GSD back in 99. The lab growled for a day and then boom they became best friends for life until the lab passed away in 2004. In fact our GSD became the labs protector. Neutral territory is the key and also not leaving them unattended alone.

What 8 week stuff are you planning on? What shots were given at 6 weeks? Though vaccines can be given that early, most vets do not recommend it since at 6 weeks most vaccines will not overcome maternal antibodies. So I would consider her as "unvaccinated" when you get her to be safe.

A study of a cross section of different puppies showed that the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection (become immunized) covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age only 25% were able to respond to the vaccine. Where at 9 weeks it jumps to 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'm sure it's just her being shy I mean I only saw her 1 time and I may have done something unknowingly that made her kinda scared but I wouldn't know what. I'm calling the vet today to make an appointment for her 8 week shot's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts