German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little about us so you can tailor advice...
My husband and I have a 2 year old son and a 2 month old baby, as well as a 16 yr old lab who is still playful and healthy.
We plan to feed a fresh meat diet, cooked because we cant do raw meats given we have young kids.
We have a kennel ready.
Puppy is Male. We will not fix him until he is older and done maturing his muscles, but we live in an isolated area and have a fully fenced yard, 6 foot privacy fence.
The dog is a straight back.
We do plan to sign up for puppy classes somewhere.

We plan to do at least 30 minutes dedicated training a day, and once the puppy is old enough we want to go jogging together daily.
I am a stay at home mom, and my husband works 4 days a week, 10 hour shifts, so pup is NEVER alone. I am already waking up every 2 to 3 hours to nurse my daughter.

We are very active, and very positive people.
My son has been taught since day 1 to be gentle. He holds out his hand and says sniff, then says gentle and softly pets dogs backs. We knew that OUR dogs may be good with kids but others may not so it was important to us. He never jumps on dogs or anything. That's why we want him to have a pup. Hes very helpful and sweet, and gentle, so we wanted to get him a friend
We eventually want to job with the dog when their joints are done developing.
The entire house is toddler proof, and the living room and dining room have no furniture in it because they are the big play rooms.

?

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
What does " dog is a straight back" mean?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Congratulations on the new pup and your young family. We have two children under 3 and two GSDs. It is definitely a lot of work, and tiring, at times. But it sounds like you know what you're in for. I think the puppy classes are an excellent idea. I always suggest taking several classes, even through the puppy's first year or two. I think that has been one of the things that has helped my GSDs become such stable dogs in public and within the family (as well as coming from a good breeder). The classes are fun (at least I think they are fun), and it's a great way to get your dog used to obeying you in a distracting, but controlled environment. Also there are lots of different people and dogs there for them to be exposed to. I'm not very knowledgeable about dog nutrition, so I can't comment on the cooked diet, just be sure you're following some kind of guideline to make sure you include all the needed nutrients and ratios. Also, just so you're not caught off guard, most GSD puppies are land sharks to some extent. It's not a sign of aggression, just a puppy wanting to play, but a toddler might not know that. There may be times when you have to keep puppy and babies seperate. Baby gates are your friends. I hope everything goes happily and smoothly. Remember to post pics! We love to see pictures of cute puppies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We plan to put everything you'd feed with raw, just in cooked form. We will cook pork, chicken, beef organs and fat, and small amounts of peas and carrots, grind egg shells. and feed a raw bone outside.

Straight back vs roachback. Roachbacks have hip issues so we wouldn't want that with kids and jogging intended. Roachbacks slope down and the butt. Straight backs are just the same shape as any other dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the diet pur lab is on and she is 16 and in perfect health. She still runs like a puppy even. No hip issues, eye problems, teeth problems. The vet brags about her to other patients. Haha.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
All sounds good but...do you know what you are in for especially if you refer with "straight back" = working line dog? How do think your Lab will respond to a land shark? A gentle two year old is no match to a high energy healthy GSD pup. Your pup maybe not a bitey as some of them are but they all do bite. And a gentle toddler can be a target for a pup. Better get a puppy class lined up as well. Just a few based-on-experience details.

·
Registered
855 Posts
'Straight back' is a can of worms .... all GSD's should have some angulation. 'Roach back' is often used to describe the over-exaggerated angulation some show line dogs have. Do you know anything about the pup's pedigree?

As others have mentioned, GSD puppies are notoriously bitey, earning them the nickname 'land sharks'. Be prepared for this for the first few months. Have a plan to deal with it and be consistent. Lots of different toys, chews, tugs, etc. for distraction and a crate for down time is important, especially with small children in the house. The bitey period does end, so don't get frustrated, it's just a part of GSD 'puppyhood'.

Congrats, and good luck with the new puppy!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Your feeding plan sounds good - I was concerned that since you were feeding cooked, you would either be: a) feeding cooked bones, or b) not feeding any bones at all.

Though if you are going to be feeding raw bones outside, why not just feed raw and give your pup his meals outside? Less work for you, healthier for the pup. But it's up to you to do what you feel is right.

Nice that your toddler is so good at being gentle, but the concern here is the puppy being too rough and mouthy for a two year old. Many people think they are ready for the land-shark phase, and are still in in major shock when they experience how bitey GSD puppies are. And they stay bitey for about four months - until they are done teething. It will be more a question of you managing your puppy to keep your toddler safe than one of training the toddler to keep the puppy safe.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, like everyone has mentioned the landshark! Have A LOT of toys for the puppy. Always have one in arms reach so you can re-direct the biting. I did not like the puppy teeth! Trust me, it does end though, but like I said have a toy always ready to re-direct.

The puppy is also going to want to jump up on everyone. Glad you started puppy classes. We started them before we even got the pup. The trainer told us the classes are more for the owners than the dogs. When we did start bringing her to class, she slept a lot lol. Speaking of sleep. Your GSD puppy needs at least 18 hours of sleep total in a 24 hour period. You have a kennel, so that is good. Start crate training on day 1! Do not use the kennel as punishment. I would recommend covering the kennel and to also have it in your master bedroom. Do not have the kennel in a high traffic area in the house. Like I said, your puppy needs naps. If I remember, this is what we did for first month or so....after getting up play, rest (not sleep yet), eat, sleep for couple hours, play/exercise, sleep for couple hours, play/exercise/rest/eat and so forth. We always put her down at the same time, 8pm, and she tended to get up at 7. We had some trouble with her sleeping all through the night for just a few weeks. For about a week, at first, my wife or me would lay next to the kennel so she could sense we were their. Like I said, have the kennel in your room. Basically treat the puppy like a new born baby.

One last thing, because I need to get goin... Have a structure for your puppy too. Structure her eating and sleeping. While the puppy is in the house, I would recommend to always have a lead on her. This way if she gets into trouble, which she will, you can reign her in.

Its funny. I actually kind of miss Mei's very young puppy stage lol. You'll hate it and get frustrated, but continue to learn as much as you can about this breed. Other than this site, I really like and recommend "The German Shepherd Man" YouTube channel. TONS of great videos about GSDs.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures and videos!!!

Oh, just remembered as I read another post about GSD puppies being very mouthy, which they are! Get some bully sticks. I don't remember what age I gave Mei her first. I wanna say 3 months, but she LOVED it and it was a God Send! There was some peace from her for an hour as she chewed on that thing! Coscto has a big bag for only like 35 $!! GET SOME BULLY STICKS!

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Straight back vs roachback. Roachbacks have hip issues so we wouldn't want that with kids and jogging intended. Roachbacks slope down and the butt. Straight backs are just the same shape as any other dog.
That's what I thought. This is so full of misinformation.

First, "roach" back dogs do NOT have have hip issues any more than a "straight" back would. HD is both genetic and environmental with new studies showing early spay/neuter contributing to it. The shape of their back has absolutely zero to do with the health of their hip joints. The idea that this so called "roach" back has hip issues where "straight" back doesn't is 100% false.

Second, GSD's are SUPPOSED to be angulated per the standard. Please read the standard. So, "straight" backs are NOT the same shape as any other dog. Because other dogs, when stacked do not have the conformation to create that angle.

These so called straight back often come from breeders advertising that but, in fact, don't do health testing and spread these fallacies while their dogs are riddled with health issues.

The only way to tell if a dog has good or bad hips is to xray and have an expert read the xray, whether a radiologist, orthopedic vet, OFA or SV.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
We plan to put everything you'd feed with raw, just in cooked form. We will cook pork, chicken, beef organs and fat, and small amounts of peas and carrots, grind egg shells. and feed a raw bone outside.
Did you balance this per the NRC requirements? Growing bones need a balanced diet with the right calcium/phosphorus ratio. What about zinc? Selenium? Iodine? All the other missing nutrients?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It's nice to hear and see threads where the OP is being prepared and asks for advice politely, so kudos to you! Coming from a 1 year old GSD pup owner who recently had her 4 year old nephew stay at her apartment, it's important that the pup gets enough exercise AND guidelines. NEVER let the pup play with a toddler no matter how gentle the toddler is! They can nip by mistake and your son would be traumatised etc. Everything is controlled by you when your pup is interacting with your toddler! GSDs thrive on guidelines so teach him the ground rule soon as you bring him home. All the best

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Also, you mentioned you already have a crate. I dont know the size is why I'm saying this. Make sure its large enough the dog can fully stand, turn, stretch and sprawl out. If your crate is large, like my 48" one, have a divider so they dont have to much space. Too much space you'll get the chance of her relieving herself in it.

Good luck tomorrow and please post pictures! What's the name?? I dont remember reading that.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Everyone has given you great advice... I've got nothing to add except good luck, enjoy and please share plenty of pics :)

·
Super Moderator
8,501 Posts
I’m being lazy tonight.
Didn’t read replies...
Two things....
Son will be gentle, puppy will not be. Prepare for crying, hurt feelings, and purchase band aids.
30 minute training session will more than likely be 6, 5 minute sessions. Work with their attention span, not your schedule.

Have fun :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts