German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Currently i have a just about to turn 13 yr Old Sterilised f/male B Collie, who still goes out 3 times a day, still very active, and full of life, however does have some serious medical issues, and is.......... not going to be at all impressed about a new Dog coming in.

I am thinking in the next few months of getting a GSD, i had one 20 yrs plus ago, and would love another.

I had decided that a Puppy would be too much for my Dog, and that **maybe ? aim for 7-9 month old.

Im not ready yet, but to give you an idea of what i was thinking about. I know a Dog that has been beautifully and responsably owned, but due to a very tragic ilness has had to be rehomed. This loverly Dog has gone into a wonderful GSD home where there are a few Dogs.

So, my point being.

If im lucky i may come across a Dog like that who has had a great stable start.

Having an ....aged Dog in the home...... i felt it would be a better choice to aim for a Dog that had not come with a whole lot of baggage to sort out.

So.
Age- Possibly 7-9 months -

Gender- Was thinking i haven't had a male Dog for 7 years, will be sterilised, but im really open to your comments.

Your thoughts would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I would definitely go for a male if you already have a female.

If your only reason for going with a 7-9 month old is lack of baggage, I can say that in my 8 years of fostering I've only had a few with baggage. Most just had lack of training. If you're really thinking of what's kindest for your old girl, I think that a 2-3 year old would be easier on her, but of course you're getting this doing for you, not for your dog. If you practice good management any age will work. 7-9 months really is the bratty butthead stage though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

If your only reason for going with a 7-9 month old is lack of baggage, I can say that in my 8 years of fostering I've only had a few with baggage. Most just had lack of training. If you're really thinking of what's kindest for your old girl, I think that a 2-3 year old would be easier on her, but of course you're getting this dog for you, not for your dog. If you practice good management any age will work. 7-9 months really is the bratty butthead stage though.
I have to agree that you should go with a male. Considering the age of your girl you should go with a dog that has a little bit of age (over 2 years old). A dog that has passed it's puppyness will be less of a challenge and less tiring for your girl. Good luck to you - let us know how you make out.:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would look for a male 4+ in age- even at 2 they have bounding energy and want to play play play. If your collie now is not fond of other dogs waiting may not be a bad idea either. She's old and shouldn't have to deal with an obnoxious visitor that never goes away:)

However, if she is dog friendly start looking at your local shelters and get applications and home visits done now since a good fit takes time. Not all dogs in shelters have issues...as a matter of fact many are there because their owner was the issue- not the dog. When you find a male you like let your female meet him before bringing him home on her territory- good luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If your only reason for going with a 7-9 month old is lack of baggage, I can say that in my 8 years of fostering I've only had a few with baggage. Most just had lack of training. If you're really thinking of what's kindest for your old girl, I think that a 2-3 year old would be easier on her, but of course you're getting this doing for you, not for your dog. If you practice good management any age will work. 7-9 months really is the bratty butthead stage though.

HI EM

"Bratty Butthead stage" lolololololol,,that is soooooooooooo funny !

It was suggested to me that 7-9 mths may get me just out of that immediate tiny puppy stage, which would be easier for my Dog, but really actually i would even prefer that older Dog for me too, for many reasons, but in the end i want to get whatever is going to be the best for my current Dog.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I got another female when Layla was 10 years old, and when I finally lost Layla, Kayleigh missed her so much that when a female that I looked after was threatened with going to Battersea Dogs Home I took her in. Fia often stays as well and I've never had any problems. I just prefer females and maybe I've just been lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts