German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You may have read my 234930598 posts about our sweet, wonderful, amazing and special rescue GSD, Regen, who we brought home 7 months ago. She is 19 months old now and has grown up so much! She still has separation anxiety, though, and we've noticed that she seems to do much better when she is with another dog. We had always planned to have 2 dogs, but we wanted to wait till Regen had some training under her belt to bring a new one home.

We've been searching for a couple of months and finally, what seemed like the right opportunity popped up. The only reputable GSD breeder that I know of in New Mexico happened to have a gorgeous WGSL female who was imported from Germany in June to be added to their breeding program, but she had too narrow of a pelvis to whelp her pups naturally and she was spayed. She is great with kids, cats, other dogs, people, and has the temperament I was hoping for in training a therapy dog. She lives with 7 females currently and has had no conflicts at all. She's 2.5 years old and has basic obedience and beginning tracking training.

Her name is Wendi vom Melachthon (aka "Vega") and she has some pretty great bloodlines, apparently. Her great grandsire is Ursus von Batu. Here's her pedigree:
Wendi von Melanchthon - German shepherd dog

We are really excited about bringing her home and are doing a double set of introductions (they met once at the breeder's house, and will meet on "neutral ground" with our trainer on the day that Vega comes home with us) to increase the chances that they'll get along well.

I got some great advice about how to handle the first few days at home, but would love any words of wisdom people have about helping 2 dogs get acquainted. We have 11 days at home with them before we are back to work, and are hoping to wean Regen off her doggie daycare by the end of January (and have them at home together).

I just had to share...this board has made me throughly excited about GSDs, I can't wait to start training with Vega. Since she's so great with other people and dogs, I'm hoping to get her CGC and Delta certification very quickly! And maybe she'll help Regen chill out a bit.:wub:

Here's a picture. She's a smaller GSD, around 55 lbs. What you can't see is her sweet, adorable face.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
when we introduced my other two dogs to Dodger we let them meet on neutral territory and then took them on a long walk together before brining them in to the house. When we got them all in the house we kept a very close eye on all of them for a couple hours until we felt sure they'd get along well. It may take several days for your new GSD to feel comfortable it depends on her personality. They all get along very well. She looks very sweet and enjoy your new dog!!! I'm sure her and Regen will get along very well :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
She's stunning! And if she stays at 55 pounds you'll have her at the perfect size for running agility!!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's stunning! And if she stays at 55 pounds you'll have her at the perfect size for running agility!!!!
Yes! Regen did a beginner agility class and loved it, we definitely want to start Vega in that was well. I am so excited!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Pretty girl! :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
congratulations!! She is beautiful,,please keep us updated !! AND PICS we WANT PICS!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tee hee, there will be LOTS of pics. I am so nervous!
Regen's daycare buddy (Miikka of MiikkasMom on the board) is also related to Ursus von Batu, I have read such great things about the temperaments in his descendants.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
She is beautiful! When we decided to get Callan I took Max to our breeder to meet her and things went great. When I brought Callan home I had to introduce them alone as my hubby was working. I left Callan in the garage and brought Max out. He was so excited to see her again all went very well. However I was dealing with a 7 year old female and a 9 month old male, both have been around other dogs so that was a great help.

Good luck, can not wait to see pictures and hear how it goes.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree- walk the two together so they're side by side but not focused on each other. I'm sure they'll get along just fine. She's a beautiful girl and a really nice size.

·
Registered
664 Posts
She's beautiful. Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. My house had to become a "no toy" zone for a few months when I introduced a new dog.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for asking! I think it is going well, all things (including newbie mistakes, thanks to yours truly) considered.
Their introduction at a neutral place went beautifully, as did the car ride home. They did well on their leash walk before coming into the house. Their first night went great other than a little hackle/bark/growl after the neighbor yappy dogs got Regen all riled up (she is reactive).
This morning when we let them out to pee, there was a squabble that probably would have turned into an all-out brawl if we hadn't separated them. I attribute it to the fact that our next-door neighbors yappy dogs were in full fence-fighting mode (the fence is opaque, but you can hear them barking and jumping against the fence) and it put Regen in full stress-alert state. Somehow her hackle/sniff at Vega triggered her to snap at Regen and they got into it, we separated as soon as we could (no blood, but there was snarling and snapping).

So, for the rest of today, they've been rotating time either in crates next to each other working on kongs/bones, training in the same room with a leash trailing, or hanging out with Vega baby-gated off from Regen. We also took a 2 hour hike with both dogs on leash, and they did great on the car ride too/from as well as on the walk- sniffed things together and didn't posture.

I am new at this, so I don't know what to expect- the squabble this morning was scary and concerning, but I think that we set them up by letting them both out when the neighbor's dogs were out. The rest of the day they've had low tail-wags when they see each other and have seemed to want to play when they sniff through the baby gates.

I'm just not sure how soon to do what!!

Also, Vega was super calm and collected when we saw her in her home, but she is definitely very anxious about this sudden change, so she's been much more vocal and high-strung than is typical for her.

Tomorrow the plan is to take Vega for a run in the morning (she has much more energy than Regen), do some obedience work together and separate, take a long hike with both of them, and then try more time in the house with Vega trailing a leash in the same room as Regen.

Any tips totally welcome- seeing them get "bitchy" with each other did make us nervous. We basically have 9 more days to work on whatever we need to before having to go back to our normal full-time schedules and make decisions about daycare, daytime crating situations, etc.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I brought Nadia home 4 months after getting Zisso. They did and still do have squabbles now & then, but nothing a simple 'eh' won't take care of. In the beginning it was worse tho. There were a few times I had to step in and grab a collar or push a dog to get their attention. They eventually worked it out and became the best of friends/house mates/kennel mates.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
When we brought Zena home, there were some issues between her and Riley. Zena is a dominant minded female and Riley likes to think he is. They became best buds after Zena relaxed and realized she wasnt going to get shoved out of the family. Give your new girl time. I've always been told it takes a new dog a minimum of 30 days to truly start feeling like they're home and they're usually trustworthy after 90 days because they've learned the situation and know whats what. Good luck. She's a real looker! I'm sure everything will work out. Just remember to breath!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts