German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
32,468 Posts
No. You should not bring your other dog with you.

Introducing two adult dogs, or an adult dog with an older puppy is different than introducing a baby puppy to an adult. For one thing, you want this puppy to think of the old guy as the head hancho anyway, at least for now. It is perfectly ok to bring the puppy into the exiting dog's territory. And puppies generally have a puppy license, so the the older dog will probably not act stupid to the youngster until he gets to be 4-5 months old. At least not after he understands that the new guy belongs.

Be careful with the introduction and be sure to crate the pup or separate them BEFORE the old guy become terribly annoyed. But you should not have to go onto neutral territory when it comes to a young pup.

Now about bringing the other dog to the breeder's and having him in the car for a few hours, I think it is not a good idea. I would not welcome a puppy buyer's dog on my property, and if they hit it off great, the other dog might relax the puppy in the car trip, but if they do not, it will overly stress the puppy. Stressing the pup for a couple of hours on one of its first car trips can lead to problems down the road, like car-sickness. Lots of puppies get car-sick on their way home from the breeder anyway, but your best bet for long term travel, is to make this initial trip as stress-free as possible.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts