German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August, I was afforded the opportunity to rescue Max from a bad situation. The couple that I got him from was convinced that he was a purebred, however I got mixed reviews from this site. Most that commented suggested that he may be a mixed breed. "Brindle pup" was the thread. I'd like to see if that is still the general consensus now that he filled out. His personality and build are GSD, but the brindle coloring still keep me in question. For the people with the negative comments, yes I built his fence. Yes he is no longer tied up. Yes he travels with me almost everywhere I go except work. Please read the previous thread to get a bearing on what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What's his age? I am inclined to agree with the akita/gsd crowd, maybe even a little mastiff? Looks a bit loose-lipped, but that could just be me looking at the side-photo wrong. His head and overall size seem to be more akita/mastiff-ish. The dutchie's I have worked with were very thin/svelte, not tank-like :) Your boy is very handsome though!!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
So handsome and so masculine! I'm inclined to think Akita as well, due to the bone and head structure. I don't think Dutch Shepherd would bring in so much bone, they are supposed to be smaller and lighter boned than GSDs; the ones I've seen have been more like a Malinois in build. But who knows? People cross all sorts of crazy things together. Google "Donovan's Pinscher"... basically a breeding program involving ABPT, Dutch Shepherds, Malinois, and some sort of Mastiff. They are trying to create the ultimate PP/LE K9 with the bite force and power of the mastiff, the speed and agility of the Malinois/Dutchie, and the fight drive of the ABPT. Many of their dogs are brindle, but they're cropping the ears so I don't know what kind of ears they have.

Not saying your dog is a Donovan's Pinscher, just saying, people do crazy crosses, so your guy could be part GSD, part Dutchie and part Mastiff for all we know! But he's almost certainly not a purebred GSD.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So handsome and so masculine! I'm inclined to think Akita as well, due to the bone and head structure. I don't think Dutch Shepherd would bring in so much bone, they are supposed to be smaller and lighter boned than GSDs; the ones I've seen have been more like a Malinois in build. But who knows? People cross all sorts of crazy things together. Google "Donovan's Pinscher"... basically a breeding program involving ABPT, Dutch Shepherds, Malinois, and some sort of Mastiff. They are trying to create the ultimate PP/LE K9 with the bite force and power of the mastiff, the speed and agility of the Malinois/Dutchie, and the fight drive of the ABPT. Many of their dogs are brindle, but they're cropping the ears so I don't know what kind of ears they have.

Not saying your dog is a Donovan's Pinscher, just saying, people do crazy crosses, so your guy could be part GSD, part Dutchie and part Mastiff for all we know! But he's almost certainly not a purebred GSD.
I just looked up that Donovan's Pinscher, very interesting. Have you ever seen one or worked with one in person??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I've never dealt with dogs on a professional or breeder level, I was wondering if anyone thought a DNA test would yield accurate results for me. Any ideas. Apparently the couple paid around $500 for him but only because he didn't have any papers. I believe the breeder is in Mexico, and I haven't been albe to make contact with him.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
As I've never dealt with dogs on a professional or breeder level, I was wondering if anyone thought a DNA test would yield accurate results for me. Any ideas. Apparently the couple paid around $500 for him but only because he didn't have any papers. I believe the breeder is in Mexico, and I haven't been albe to make contact with him.
I've heard the DNA tests are kind of pointless, but that's only what I've heard, haven't researched them myself. Just curious, are you trying to figure out what he has in him just for fun, or some other reason? I don't mean this in any snarky way at all, I just know people who've shelled out a pretty penny for those DNA tests and I never understood why lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just kinda want to know. I've been asked several times if I bred him. I'm kinda hesitant to offer his services if he's not pb. I know that whomever wants to breed with him needs to realize that the pups may not be what they are trying for, but it would be nice to have something to offer people in the way of blood lines whether he is pb or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is just about a year and and half old. Great dog very obedient and loves kids. Loves my family and close friends and is very protective around adults he doesn't know.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
He is gorgeous. I don't think he's purebred, but he's better-looking than most dogs you'll see anywhere. Sounds like his temperament is good, as long as by "protective" you don't mean reactive.

Enjoy your singularity. He's a special one. :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Beautiful looking dog...but he's not a purebred GSD.

Anyone asking you to breed to him just wants to make more dogs that LOOK like him, they could care less about the temperament and how he acts. I would never trust anyone that has interacted with my dog for 5 minutes and then asked to breed to him.

I would guess there's a dutch shepherd in there if you do think his temperament is a lot like a GSD. Dutchies are a lot like GSDs in the first place and many times mixed breeds do get the look of one dog and the personality of another.

How big is he at 1.5 years old?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
He could be Akita and Dutchie! Maybe there isn't any German Shepherd? I would think a lot before breeding him, gather info around here, etc... Martem is right, the only reason they are saying that they are interested in breeding him is for his looks. Just be careful :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
How does he display protection around adults he doesn't know? Just curious :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Typically he stands between us and the other person. He constantly looks at me for reassurance, and sometimes whines. When I'm not there, and my daughter or my sons are, he will stand right next to my kids. He's growled a few times and that has always been enough. He is always alert when strangers are around. I'm thinking he has some trust issues resulting from something he may have experienced before we picked him up.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm thinking he has some trust issues resulting from something he may have experienced before we picked him up.
Or his genes/nerves aren't completely neutral/sound....that's why it's never a good idea to breed a dog without knowing the parents/grandparents/pedigrees....pretty risky, imo. Just something to think about before you'd consider breeding for his coloring, or because "he's good with kids." There are a lot of unknowns there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or his genes/nerves aren't completely neutral/sound....that's why it's never a good idea to breed a dog without knowing the parents/grandparents/pedigrees....pretty risky, imo. Just something to think about before you'd consider breeding for his coloring, or because "he's good with kids." There are a lot of unknowns there.
I haven't bred him and have no definite plans to. I too am wary about it. I've still been trying to get in contact with the guy who originally sold him, but to no avail. Popular opinion seems to state that the DNA testing is pointless and inaccurate. I'm totally okay with just enjoying him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts