German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
well, I've been googling and reading and I've come to the conclusion that Brindle German Shepherds are available but the color is considered a fault. They are not common, but if you want one, you can find one. They are not expensive because breeders don't want them. It is recommended they not be bred although they do not seem to carry any more genetic faults than any other German Shepherd. Personally, I think they are funny looking and suggest a PB got loose.

View attachment 582270
can you share any of the credible sources you’ve come across and how the photos were verified to be GSD and not dutch shepherd, akita, sighthound, etc crosses?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Absolutely NOT. Germany has very strict breeding requirements. They set the breed standards, the SV standard, from the breed club. Any breeder creating brindles would be run out of town and would not be able to register their dogs there.... You will not find a reputable breeder with "brindle" dogs........ It is impossible for them to exist and be purebred. It was bred out 100 years ago.
Whether or not someone producing brindle GSD is reputable isn't really the point. The question is, CAN they still be produced and be purebred? Is it possible the gene still exists. From what Carmen wrote, the answer is yes.

just like with the whites years ago which were quietly left to expire , or homed on the side for fear of being accused of mixing - or detracting from their stud or dams bloodlines --- there may have been pups born with this odd color . not too long ago the same phenomenon with the appearance of the "panda" color . Go to the von Stephanitz tome and see what the regional working herding dogs were like that in some way are included in the genetics , even if remote . They include a merle , and a panda - type (don't like that name) . Genes never get expunged , they get buried . They never go away.

The white GSD was bred all over Europe including in Germany for decades while not being registered. They were still purebred dogs.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SMcN - can you share a source for that info? I have the standard pre-amendments in 1930 where it still lists brindle as a color and was just curious if whatever you read said why breeders stopped using brindles, why they were no longer registered etc.

This is a section of that old standard where it applies to color if anyone is interested.
COLOR.-Black, iron-gray, ash-gray, reddish-yellow, reddish-brown (either solid color or with regular markings of reddish-brown to whitish-gray). Furthermore pure white, or white with dark patches intermingled (blue-red brindle), also dark brindle (black patches on gray, yellow, or light brown body), with lighter colored markings. The so called wolf's color (coloring of the dog in his wild state), white markings on chest and legs are permitted. The undercoat, except in black dogs, is always light in color. The color of a puppy can only be ascertained after his top coat comes in.
Let me see if I can find it again. It was random interest in my part as I had not heard of brindle being a GSD pattern in today's world.

·
Registered
33,003 Posts
Whether or not someone producing brindle GSD is reputable isn't really the point. The question is, CAN they still be produced and be purebred? Is it possible the gene still exists. From what Carmen wrote, the answer is yes.

The white GSD was bred all over Europe including in Germany for decades while not being registered. They were still purebred dogs.

Or you could just keep what you just quoted from me in the context of the direct post I replied to - which was "are there any breeders in Germany producing brindles" which makes my post relevant - whether you like the response or not.

Really - to the point - someone please produce a current brindle GSD with a pedigree that can be traced.. Please produce documentation from a DNA test on a pedigreed GSD that shows that gene existing and viable. We can produce that for white, sable...even the Panda had DNA testing done. I will even accept one that can be traced back before it disappears into the darkness of the Soviet Union like the dominant black dogs that are being allowed into the breed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Was there not a member on here a few years back that posted a picture of their GSD with brindle in the pattern?

Not sure if it was deemed to be full GSD but certainly looked it. If I remember correctly, the dog was sitting on a bridge or by some water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
can you share any of the credible sources you’ve come across and how the photos were verified to be GSD and not dutch shepherd, akita, sighthound, etc crosses?

I just googled. I read the first few articles that came up and they seemed reasonable. Then I clicked on 'images' and that's where that photo came from. There were others that - to be honest - looked like someone had crossed a German Shepherd with a tiger or other large cat. I wasn't interested to becoming an expert, just finding out what a brindle German Shepherd is.
By searching for a breeder I came across these

These folks won't allow anyone around their puppies until they are 7 weeks, which shouldn't be a problem because they forgot to mention what planet they are located on. The photo I posted came from them.
The Brindle German Shepherd.

Take it all with a google of salt, I guess.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Those are nice looking pups in the photo but they appear to be black and tan, not brindle. Elke says all the good girls are black and tan, she thinks she's beautiful.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
1,017 Posts
That article talks about the color being extinct and that breeder does not say they breed brindle pups.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts