German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I bought a new puppy last week from breeder and he had a male brindle german shepherd I was wondering does anyone else have a brindle shepherd and are they recognized by AKC ...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
From my understanding it was a color at one point but is long gone. If someone told me they had a brindle German shepherd, I would think it was really a Dutch shepherd. The first time I ever saw a Dutch shepherd it was a police service dog. I thought it was a German shepherd mix until I looked into it further.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
There is no such thing as a brindle German Shepherd. Brindle is a dominant color and it was bred out 100 years ago. It does not exist in our breed at all anymore and it's not possible for it to just pop up because it's dominant. If your dog truly has brindling then it's mixed with something. If you have to ask if the AKC recognizes it then you probably do not have AKC papers to register your puppy.

Do you have pictures of your puppy? The parents?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read they still have them but they are extremely rare
There is no such thing as a brindle German Shepherd. Brindle is a dominant color and it was bred out 100 years ago. It does not exist in our breed at all anymore and it's not possible for it to just pop up because it's dominant. If your dog truly has brindling then it's mixed with something. If you have to ask if the AKC recognizes it then you probably do not have AKC papers to register your puppy.

Do you have pictures of your puppy? The parents?
I didn't buy one I said quote the breeder I bought puppy from had a male brindle German Shepherd the puppy I bought is Black and Tan I just wanted to know about the brindle german shepherd....

·
Registered
285 Posts
I didn't buy one I said quote the breeder I bought puppy from had a male brindle German Shepherd the puppy I bought is Black and Tan I just wanted to know about the brindle german shepherd....
That is how I read your post as well. I am not a color genetic expert at all but find it interesting. From what I am reading it would take one of the breeding pair to actually be displaying the brindle while the second would have to have it as a recessive gene. A slim-to-none possibility in the registered GSDs as, evidently this has been bred out of them for a long time. No brindles registered since 1922, if I read the info correctly.

The only brindle shepherd I have come up with is, as Bearshandler stated, the Dutch Shepherd. Perhaps the breeder's dog is a cross and he just referred to it as German?

I certainly would share your interest in the probability of this coloring, if for no more than academic curiosity, because brindles, IMHO, can be gorgeous!

·
Registered
33,005 Posts

Sorry I misunderstood. Then I would check the genetics on your dog and the pedigree. There is no such thing as a brindle GSD. So I would be concerned on how reputable the breeder is.

Another thing to consider, is sometimes puppies can have a funky pattern that appears brindle on the legs. But if it's all over there body then it's a mix

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That is how I read your post as well. I am not a color genetic expert at all but find it interesting. From what I am reading it would take one of the breeding pair to actually be displaying the brindle while the second would have to have it as a recessive gene. A slim-to-none possibility in the registered GSDs as, evidently this has been bred out of them for a long time. No brindles registered since 1922, if I read the info correctly.

The only brindle shepherd I have come up with is, as Bearshandler stated, the Dutch Shepherd. Perhaps the breeder's dog is a cross and he just referred to it as German?

I certainly would share your interest in the probability of this coloring, if for no more than academic curiosity, because brindles, IMHO, can be gorgeous!
I think the the Brindles are beautiful myself that's why I was interested do think their could possibly be a breeder in Germany that might still breed them ?

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,611 Posts
Let's say that there is a breeder keeping this coat color alive. The gene pool would be the size of a tablespoon and just asking for all kinds of genetic problems.

If you want a brindle dog with pointy ears, and you have the time and willingness to go to club and train regularly, and you have a slight masochistic streak, you could always get a Dutch Shepherd.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
OP do you have any pictures of the brindle dog or is there one on the breeders website?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's say that there is a breeder keeping this coat color alive. The gene pool would be the size of a tablespoon and just asking for all kinds of genetic problems.

If you want a brindle dog with pointy ears, and you have the time and willingness to go to club and train regularly, and you have a slight masochistic streak, you could always get a Dutch Shepherd.
OP do you have any pictures of the brindle dog or is there one on the breeders website?
At one time AKC recognized them because I went to AKC website

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
....do think their could possibly be a breeder in Germany that might still breed them ?
Absolutely NOT. Germany has very strict breeding requirements. They set the breed standards, the SV standard, from the breed club. Any breeder creating brindles would be run out of town and would not be able to register their dogs there. They don't even allow long coats to be bred to stock coats. You will not find a reputable breeder with "brindle" dogs.

AKC is just a purebred registry. They are NOTHING to a breed standard. The GSDCA, The German Shepherd Club of American, should be following the SV standard...from the breed club in Germany. The AKC does NOT set breed standards for any breed. And what they accept is pretty much what Americans make popular regardless of whether it's a disqualifying fault in the breed.

The USCA certainly follows the SV standard so you can read it here

The SV page

Again - there is no such thing as a brindle German Shepherd. That color/pattern is dominant which means a parent must be a brindle in order for a puppy to be brindle. It is impossible for them to exist.and be purebred. It was bred out 100 years ago. I see that you don't want to hear that, and are ignoring that fact, but maybe someone else looking up this same question will accept that answer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely NOT. Germany has very strict breeding requirements. They set the breed standards, the SV standard, from the breed club. Any breeder creating brindles would be run out of town and would not be able to register their dogs there. They don't even allow long coats to be bred to stock coats. You will not find a reputable breeder with "brindle" dogs.

AKC is just a purebred registry. They are NOTHING to a breed standard. The GSDCA, The German Shepherd Club of American, should be following the SV standard...from the breed club in Germany. The AKC does NOT set breed standards for any breed. And what they accept is pretty much what Americans make popular regardless of whether it's a disqualifying fault in the breed.

The USCA certainly follows the SV standard so you can read it here

The SV page

Again - there is no such thing as a brindle German Shepherd. That color/pattern is dominant which means a parent must be a brindle in order for a puppy to be brindle. It is impossible for them to exist.and be purebred. It was bred out 100 years ago. I see that you don't want to hear that, and are ignoring that fact, but maybe someone else looking up this same question will accept that answer.
These are my pups I was just interested in finding out information on the Brindle pups so get the point they were bred out 100 years ag
Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog

I'm asking if you have a picture of that particular pup they're calling brindle
I text the lady and asked her to send me a picture of he male Brindle German Shepherd she hasn't replied yet....

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
And is brindle just a description you or the breeder is using or did the breeder say it was a GSD type they had?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
A slim-to-none possibility in the registered GSDs as, evidently this has been bred out of them for a long time. No brindles registered since 1922, if I read the info correctly.
SMcN - can you share a source for that info? I have the standard pre-amendments in 1930 where it still lists brindle as a color and was just curious if whatever you read said why breeders stopped using brindles, why they were no longer registered etc.

This is a section of that old standard where it applies to color if anyone is interested.
COLOR.-Black, iron-gray, ash-gray, reddish-yellow, reddish-brown (either solid color or with regular markings of reddish-brown to whitish-gray). Furthermore pure white, or white with dark patches intermingled (blue-red brindle), also dark brindle (black patches on gray, yellow, or light brown body), with lighter colored markings. The so called wolf's color (coloring of the dog in his wild state), white markings on chest and legs are permitted. The undercoat, except in black dogs, is always light in color. The color of a puppy can only be ascertained after his top coat comes in.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
Here is a good old thread on Brindle with Carmen's input. I'm sure there is valuable information. She's a walking encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
well, I've been googling and reading and I've come to the conclusion that Brindle German Shepherds are available but the color is considered a fault. They are not common, but if you want one, you can find one. They are not expensive because breeders don't want them. It is recommended they not be bred although they do not seem to carry any more genetic faults than any other German Shepherd. Personally, I think they are funny looking and suggest a PB got loose.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Grass

1 - 20 of 31 Posts