German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Quote: The good that BrightStar has done far outweighs the negative impact of this story
I just saw the 5pm news here and the story was released BUT they did not name the rescue. Of course being here in Rochester and a part of this board I knew (and was terribly sad to hear) who it was, but also really thought the 5pm news did the right thing by focusing on the "wrong" and not the organization. I hope this attitude continues.

Best wishes to all at Bright Star.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FORWARD - BRIGHTSTAR PRESS RELEASE

FORWARD - BRIGHTSTAR PRESS RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Nancy Knab May 22, 2008
Phone: (585) 334-4493
e-mail: [email protected]

Rescue Group Reacts to Seizure of Dogs
Fairport, NY — An area rescue group is still stunned by the removal, earlier this week, of a number of its rescued German Shepherd Dogs and the personal dogs of its founder, Ruth Urban, from her rural home in Newark, NY, just east of Rochester. Animal Control Officer Josh Muller, from the SPCA at Lollypop Farms, was reportedly acting on a complaint about the large number of dogs on the acreage. The site had been undergoing significant renovations, with the erection of large fenced run areas with kennels as well as renovations designed to provide improved inside shelter for many of its older and special-needs dogs. One of the dogs was undergoing chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer at the time of the seizure.
Brightstar German Shepherd Rescue’s Board of Directors convened an emergency meeting Wednesday evening to address the unprecedented seizure. Their first action was to suspend Urban from her position as the organization’s President. The directors also voted to initiate an internal investigation into the matter and to review its policies. They also voted to cease taking in additional dogs temporarily, pending their review of the situation. All board members affirmed the organization’s mission to help those dogs most in need, the same dogs normally first euthanized in shelters and dog pounds. The Board also stressed that its priorities remained the welfare and protection of its rescued dogs, not its founder.
The sudden removal of the dogs from the founder’s home without consulting with the larger organization remains unprecedented. Brightstar coordinators and volunteers could not understand why the dogs could not be moved to other locations within its foster care network. Instead, the dogs were transferred to one of two area shelters: Lollypop Farms or the Wayne County Humane Society.
For now, the Brightstar organization is asking that the public and other groups with whom it has worked to not jump to conclusions and to give the organization itself time to conduct its own investigation. The Board stresses that should there be demonstrable evidence that the conditions failed to meet acceptable standards of care, the organization would be the first to act against its founder.
Over the past decade, Brightstar German Shepherd Rescue has rescued and placed into loving homes hundreds of dogs that would otherwise have died from treatable medical conditions or were otherwise slated for euthanasia in shelters. Many adoptable
Brightstar dogs remain in the larger foster care network outside of those longer-term dogs housed by the organization’s founder. Now, more than ever, Brightstar urges those looking to adopt a dog to consider one of its many dogs remaining throughout its larger foster care network. Adoptable dogs can be viewed on the group’s Petfinder site:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY357.html.
###

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Re: FORWARD - BRIGHTSTAR PRESS RELEASE

Thanks so much for the update. Do you know why every website (such as the petfinder website shown as well as Brightstars official website)is down/missing?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Bright Star will shine very soon. There are way too many good people in the organization for it not to.
I don't know Ruth, or her history with Bright Star or any other rescue group.
But, I also think that she started out with the best intentions, and things got out of control.
I'm sure the dogs will be okay, especially considering all the Bright Star angels watching over the situation.
I also pray for one special thing ... Ruth has obviously done a lot of good in her life, otherwise I don't see how she ended up being president of Bright Star. I hope, in time, fellow rescuers will continue to make her part of the rescue world. Should she continue to foster, well no, but with help from the proper professionals and friends, there are still many ways she can contribute to the rescue community.
I truly think it would be the best for her, her future and any possible animals that cross her path. Keep her with rescue, only in a different capacity. This will help her accept what happened and it will possibly help her make sure it never happens again.
She helped many when they needed it, now it is many, which can help her.
Just my nickel's worth. (It used to be two cents, but with prices today) ...

Oh, one more thing. I try (operative word: try) to never say anything negative in life and especially in writing, but ... Skylzzy, grow up.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Liz thank you soooooo much!!!!! You said it all!!!! Now is not the time to attack someone who has done soooooo much good. As so many have said, I think this is a case where she may have gotten overwhelmed-hey, I don't have to say no to a dog, I can't imagine how hard that would be-especially for someone who loves dogs. I'm not about to turn on someone that easily.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

Thanks so much....do you know if any Seniors were involved in the seizure???? I know they had a Seniors are Special area, but I'm hoping they were in foster homes.... is this the case???

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

How long ago was the Board of Directors created?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Ruth is the founder of BrightStar. She was the president by default- there was never a true Board of Directors. There were no bylaws.

I personally had not known of any issues with animal welfare officials prior to this. I did know of a time that I was uncomfortable with the number of dog, before Ruth moved to "BrightStar Acres." At that time, we (a small group) worked with her to get the numbers down. We unofficially closed to intake while we moved some of the dogs out. At that point, it was not a hoarding situation, I don't believe, but just an overload. But with that said, I admit- I never had been to her home in Fairport.

I turned in my resignation 3/29 but did go to a meeting of coordinators the following day. That was held at BrightStar Acres. (Resigning was a hard decision to make. I had been with BrightStar for several years. I put alot of blood, sweat, and tears into it, as did many others, Ruth included.) At the meeting, I became more certain that I made the right decision.

I do hope that the right group is able to gain control of BrightStar, and turn it back into what it was intended to be originally. I do hope a true BoD is established, with appropriate people. I do hope that this serves as a wake up call to all in rescue. I do hope that it doesn't undo the good that many of us did accomplish.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with this tragedy. We need to stand together to assist the dogs that are in need and hope that Brightstars founder is able to work through this.
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Lasthopesafehaven.com

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think some excellent points have been made in this thread. I think it's important that the rescue community work on coming together instead of dividing over this incident. This underscores clearly the need for transparency for all rescues and rescue workers, no matter how long they've been a part of the rescue community; had people not been monitoring the situation at "Brightstar Acres" and had been going on reputation or word of mouth alone then this hoarding situation would have continued.

I hope that this group will be able to reorganize and come up with clear bylaws for all members of the organization, but especially those that foster.

And I hope we will all continue to check up on one another in order to prevent something like this from happening again in the future.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Melinda - very wise words to us all. I think this will be a wake up call for a lot of people. I wish the remaining members of BrightStar the best and hope they will recover fully from this.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

The pres of the rescue I volunteer with is on Brighstar's BOD.

I'm going to ask the MODS to link this thread with the other one. No point in having two of them.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

Until possibly since this hit, there has never been a meeting of the "Board of Directors" of BrightStar.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

Maybe they communicated on email? I hope there will be an active one now. I was on the board of a gsd rescue in Wisconsin and we had bylaws, rules for foster homes, etc.

Isn't a 501C3 requited to have a BOD?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

It's required to have one....but no requirement that they actually meet or just are on paper. One of the members of the one time BoD was Ruth's mom, who had Alzheimer's....

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

Absoultly, Brightstar must continue!!! Our dogs need them and we need their volunteers!!! I'm here with anything I can do to help!!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

Over the past decade? That must be a typo!

I am not sure this information fits with the other thread so well...hmmm...I am also not sure if I can merge without losing a thread, but I can try!

I don't think I did this very well. Sorry-just check the title and that should guide you.

41 - 60 of 190 Posts