German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
jarn-that is one of the ones I was thinking of!

Another: http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affectin...l_hoarding.html (and OMG the dog in the upper right looks like Ilsa)

I just googled and there are a lot of good articles, although I am not diagnosing of course-just for educational resources for people reading this thread.

And of course, it's not just rescuers, regular folks and breeders also get in over their heads.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I agree...I know for a fact how hard working, dedicated, sincere the Brightstar members I have dealt with are. This is not what they would have ever stood for...not condoned. Many volunteers were not aware of this situation...those that were tried to resolve it...and ultimately resigned...as again...this is not what rescue is to them and they had to stay true to their convictions. All dogs are safe...and this was nipped in time.

I have to say...that I have always felt Ruth was kind and helpful...and I am very saddened by this news.

But...this is not Brightstar as a whole...and it is my sincerest hope that they can get past this...reorganize and come back in full force to continue their wonderful work.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I still think the world of all the volunteers that make up Brightstar. Who knows what happened with Ruth, but I do know that I have been so thankful so many times when Brightstar has stepped forward and saved a dogs life.

Am I correct in understanding there are no dogs seized that came from this board?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I can't get their website to work.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Humane Society Cruelty investigators worked in conjunction with Wayne County and the Town of Arcadia to respond to an anonymous complaint. The investigators found 35 dogs and 2 parrots at Urban’s residence living in unsanitary and overcrowded conditions that were a threat to the health of the animals. The 35 dogs were all kept in crowded crates in Urban’s house, and the dogs had been allowed to eliminate inside the house. The dogs, all German Shepherds, range in age from puppies to adults.

So you don't think this is abuse? How do you think these dogs could go to homes coming from this horrible living conditions. Puppies that need the social contact. Fresh air? A place to play? Interact with other people and dogs? No exercise? Gee it really sounds like abuse to me! And a big thank-you to the person who had the guts to report this!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
No one said it wasn't abuse people are defending the rescue as a WHOLE

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am sad to read this. I also resigned from a rescue organization last year because of this same issue. These poeple mean well there is no doubt.. but it can become very overwhelming all too quickly when you are trying to save as many as you can. The reputation of Brightstar in my mind should not be diminished by this one person's actions. There are far too many other individuals that made BrightStar what is is. I hope people remember this.

Tina

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would also like to say.... Skyizzy... grow up! Its not personal... its just about the dogs.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Brightstar had a Seniors are Special program. Does anyone know if these dogs were in foster homes or if they were part of the seizure? Please advise....I so worry about the Seniors...

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Yes it is about the dogs and the dogs getting the proper treatment they so deserve. So why didn't they?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
What DD, Jean and Jazy's mom and others have said are very true...this is exactly why questions are asked and rescue groups should be open to inquiries.

It is very easy to listen to all the pleas to take just one more, look at all the dogs in this state or that, look at that face, someone please save her...where is xyz rescue why can't they help...

Those are the pleas heard and read everyday and it’s very easy to take on more than you can and very hard to say sorry we are full. It’s a fine line that all dog lovers walk. But one has to know their own limits, both personally and within a rescue as a whole.

I truly hope that this awful situation does not undue all the good that Brightstar as a whole has done....

This is very sad for all those involved, I can not imagine how frustrating this is for all the volunteers of Brightstar that have worked so hard for so many dogs who probably never got any recognition for the good, but will certainly hear plenty on this bad incident.

I am sadden by this whole situation, on many levels….especially for the dogs, but they sound like they are in good hands now and I’m sure Darcy and the other dedicated Brightstar volunteers will be sure that they go to great homes. I am also sad for the rescue community as a whole because this affects all….it only takes one bad situation for everyone to jump on rescue as a whole, as we’ve already seen on this thread….but the 100’s of good deeds and great saves and great placements many never hear about.

We must all learn from this because every rescue is just one bad foster home away from this...we must police ourselves as well as others and make sure our own houses are in order. No one should be above questioning.

I hope that Ruth gets the help that she needs and that others learn from this, that way some good can come of this.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Originally Posted By: skyizzyYes it is about the dogs and the dogs getting the proper treatment they so deserve. So why didn't they?
Because someone got caught up in the overwhelming need to help.

In this case I doubt very highly it started off as hoarding. Things get out of hand so quickly, with so many dogs in need.

I have seen Bright star step in so many times to help dogs posted on this board. And felt such relief that they did so.

Brightstar is more than one person.

·
Registered
294 Posts
BrightStar will not go down. We have already met and regrouped. We have asked Ruth to step down and have organized a new board of directors. Please do not think that we were ignoring the situation at hand. We were in the middle of dealing with this and did not have enough time to rectify the situation in a timely matter. We are hoping people will support those of us who have stayed on to help find these wonderful dogs their forever homes.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Quote:The 35 dogs were all kept in crowded crates in Urban’s house, and the dogs had been allowed to eliminate inside the house.

So you don't think this is abuse? How do you think these dogs could go to homes coming from this horrible living conditions. Puppies that need the social contact. Fresh air? A place to play? Interact with other people and dogs? No exercise? Gee it really sounds like abuse to me! And a big thank-you to the person who had the guts to report this!!!
I do not have all the facts and I did not see the conditions that these animals were kept in, but I think you are reading way to much into this. From what is stated above, the animals were overcrowded - to many dogs in to little of space. It does not say that they were not allowed outside to get fresh air or to play or to interact with other dogs or people or to get exercise. I do not know if they were and you do not know if they were not. Let's not jump to conclusions.

I am not saying that these dogs were not neglected. They would not have been removed if they were not being neglected. I am just saying that there is no need to blow the charges out of proportion unless you know first hand what happened.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Dear BrightStar Folks,

Please know that as a fellow rescue, VGSR holds your organization in high esteem and we do so appreciate your efforts on behalf of the dogs that have been saved from this board and by your group on a local level.

It is my heartfelt wish that Brightstar's volunteers will take the steps necessary to reorganize and continue their fine efforts with as little interruption as possible.

Take heart in all of the good work that BrightStar has done and how many wonderful, deserving dogs are alive today because of your group's efforts. This surely is the most important thing to remember.

Keep up the good fight!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well said Remo and I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Originally Posted By: kularingBrightStar will not go down. We have already met and regrouped. We have asked Ruth to step down and have organized a new board of directors. Please do not think that we were ignoring the situation at hand. We were in the middle of dealing with this and did not have enough time to rectify the situation in a timely matter. We are hoping people will support those of us who have stayed on to help find these wonderful dogs their forever homes.
Who can possibly find fault with such a dedicated, caring, and responsible group who recognized a bad situation and is in the process of rectifying it.

Perhaps it was not your wish that this situation became public, but it may have been for the best. It will not only make other rescues sit up and take notice and perhaps “get their own ducks in order”, but it will also help to recognize the many wonderful volunteers who must make gut-wrenching decisions every day in the midst of saving all that is possible.

I don’t think the abatement of support should even be in question. God bless the work you did, do, and will continue to do.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally Posted By: mcdogloversI would just like to say that I am a person who deals in fact and so I felt it necessary to contact the Humane Society Vice President of Operations and Field Services, Richard Gerbasi, at (585) 259-0733 to learn for myself the facts of this case. He reports that Ruth has been removed as President of this organization. He is not aware of the replacement at this time. The dogs that were seized were of all breeds. They were not all GSD's. The dogs were in good body condition. They were seized due to the conditions they were being kept in. The Humane Society is emphatic that the rest of the volunteers and foster homes within this group are all excellent rescuers and that this should in no way reflect upon the group as a whole. This is a situation where someone with the best of intentions could not control their need or desire to save animals and ended up with too many.
thanks for getting the facts, and you said it the best, "This is a situation where someone with the best of intentions could not control their need or desire to save animals and ended up with too many" this is sad to hear and I hope the humane society does the right thing and finds homes for the dogs rather than put them on death row again

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
One way a rescue (or rescuer) can slide into to the dark side is by having the mentality that they can “save them all”.

It is NOT possible to save every dog. It’s just a sad fact. You try to save the ones you can and try not to think about the ones you cannot.

ETA: "(or rescuer)"

·
Registered
148 Posts
The good that BrightStar has done far outweighs the negative impact of this story.

21 - 40 of 190 Posts