German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful Black AKC registered male German Shepherd. I want to breed him but have no idea how or where to begin. Please help advise me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How old is he, has he had his hips and elbows scored, has he been tested for DM etc?

Does he have any show or working titles?

If the answer is no, then I would work towards these goals first. If he is any good then reputable breeders will seek him out.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is he, has he had his hips and elbows scored, has he been tested for DM etc?

Does he have any show or working titles?

If the answer is no, then I would work towards these goals first. If he is any good then reputable breeders will seek him out.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
He was born 1/1/2019
Where would I go to get his hips and elbows scored, he has gotten all his checkups and shots. What is DM?
He doesn't but there is lineage in his papers.
Thank you so much for your help. This is what I was needing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
First clarifier is do you have full or limited AKC registration on him? If limited he's not supposed to be bred. If full here's what you should do first.

Since he's only a year old so he's got some time before breeding anyway. Assuming you're in the US OFA is the common organization for orthopedic evaluations and such. Penhipp looks like it may be a good choice as well. That's for things such as looking for hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia etc.
Here is a list of some of the recommended health screenings for German shepherds. Embark health screening could also be a potential addition. I don't know what all Embark tests for but MDR1 might be something to check out. I think it has a very low incidence in the breed but it is present.

All that is just the health screening you would want to do before breeding but there are other things. Are you working him in any breed worthy events? Show titles are well and good but for this breed as a stand alone they don't mean anything for me personally. I'd rather see the dog titled in breed worthy events or proven to be working somehow.

If you're wanting to stud him out to find good females he'd likely need breed worthy titles or accomplishments. If bitesports aren't your cup of tea I'd look into tracking in addition to maybe advanced obedience titles. Or if you have a lot of time and are comitted maybe look into SAR (search and rescue). If he could pass muster that is in my opinion a pretty breed worthy job. But to be fair I don't have a female I'd be looking to breed to him.

·
Registered
31,353 Posts
RE: Limited vs Full. If he has limited, did your breeder have a contract with you stating stipulations to be met to get full registration?

For xrays, if you state you location, someone should be able to recommend a good vet. OFA will take prelmins at 6 months and official results at 2 years.

Once this virus has passed, contact local club (whether AKC or IPG clubs) to train and title him. You will learn a lot abotu your dog in training regarding temperament and nerves. And more importantly, be honest about your dog once he's trained and you get an idea of his nerve, confidence, health etc. I have a great male with great breeding that will never be bred. There are things about him that, as much as I love him, I don't feel should be passed on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First clarifier is do you have full or limited AKC registration on him? If limited he's not supposed to be bred. If full here's what you should do first.

Since he's only a year old so he's got some time before breeding anyway. Assuming you're in the US OFA is the common organization for orthopedic evaluations and such. Penhipp looks like it may be a good choice as well. That's for things such as looking for hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia etc.
Here is a list of some of the recommended health screenings for German shepherds. Embark health screening could also be a potential addition. I don't know what all Embark tests for but MDR1 might be something to check out. I think it has a very low incidence in the breed but it is present.

All that is just the health screening you would want to do before breeding but there are other things. Are you working him in any breed worthy events? Show titles are well and good but for this breed as a stand alone they don't mean anything for me personally. I'd rather see the dog titled in breed worthy events or proven to be working somehow.

If you're wanting to stud him out to find good females he'd likely need breed worthy titles or accomplishments. If bitesports aren't your cup of tea I'd look into tracking in addition to maybe advanced obedience titles. Or if you have a lot of time and are comitted maybe look into SAR (search and rescue). If he could pass muster that is in my opinion a pretty breed worthy job. But to be fair I don't have a female I'd be looking to breed to him.
I am not sure what full or limited AKC registration is. Thank you so much. I have work to do, but now I have direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: Limited vs Full. If he has limited, did your breeder have a contract with you stating stipulations to be met to get full registration?

For xrays, if you state you location, someone should be able to recommend a good vet. OFA will take prelmins at 6 months and official results at 2 years.

Once this virus has passed, contact local club (whether AKC or IPG clubs) to train and title him. You will learn a lot abotu your dog in training regarding temperament and nerves. And more importantly, be honest about your dog once he's trained and you get an idea of his nerve, confidence, health etc. I have a great male with great breeding that will never be bred. There are things about him that, as much as I love him, I don't feel should be passed on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure I have full as there isn't any stipulations. I am in Winston, Oregon. His vet is Baileys and I know they take care of show dogs. I will contact to see about further training. He is currently in obedience and learning quickly. Thank you so much for this great information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts