German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the research phase for my next litter. I found a male that has produced some very nice progeny. My primary concern is his age - he would be 12+ at the time of the breeding. I am curious if other breeders here have used older males and if they were successful in terms of conception, litter size, etc. I would love to hear about others experiences using older males. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Ask the owner to do a fertility check. Easy as can be - then you know for sure.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
18,685 Posts
I bred to a male that was just shy of 12 and got a litter of 7 (6 live, 1 dead). My first female's grandfather was 12.5 when he sired his last litter. I would want a health and fertility exam done on the male. I believe the AKC also has some extra requirements for males over 12.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
IF he passes the requisite health clearances, including those related to his age, then go for it. Older males absolutely ROCK, IMO, b/c they have established longevity. Older males have that extra bit of potential for passing on longevity. (Naturally, age alone isn't enough, but you've indicated he has the qualities you're seeking & passes 'em on)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts