Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking some tips here.

What's the perfect age to start?

As for a stud dog what should I look out for ?

Only want one litter out of my girl then she's getting neutered.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Please do not breed your dog, there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out. :teary:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
If more people were responsible then we wouldn't have so many animals dying every single day in shelters. :(

Breeding should be left to reputable Breeders, people that are looking to better the breed, people looking to breed healthier GSD's and GSD's that have great temperment and the ability to preform any task that their owner gives to them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not for making a quick buck , my mum want one , my granny wants one for security as does my uncles and aunts they love Tara and want her pups. I know it will be sore on her but I want to keep her living on , I'm thinking ahead because some day she wont be living and when that day comes I think if there's her pups around it won't be as tough to deal with. I know it's a long wile away.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
It's not for making a quick buck , my mum want one , my granny wants one for security as does my uncles and aunts they love Tara and want her pups. I know it will be sore on her but I want to keep her living on , I'm thinking ahead because some day she wont be living and when that day comes I think if there's her pups around it won't be as tough to deal with. I know it's a long wile away.
How old is she?

What does she bring to the breed?

Only dogs that have titles, great health, great temperment, great bloodlines and great working ability should be bred.

You are just going to contribute more puppies that are going to end up in shelters and die.

Go look at your local animal shelter, those dogs are there because of people like you.

·
5,627 Posts
She should be at least 2 years old. Health tested, hips checked and preferably titled in something to show she can work like the breed was meant too.

She is a long coat (probably) and is not to breed standard so many will say she should not be bred. If she has temperament issues (fear or aggression) then she definitely should not bred. Which by the way, some issues you won't see until 2 years old since depending on the line, German Shepherds do not mature until 2-3 years old.

If your family wants a great dog, then their best bet is to go to a reputable breeder to stack the odds in their favor.

You won't get a lot of support here for breeding your pet. We are strong advocates of leaving the breeding to the professionals. The people who have researched bloodlines and genetics and know how to pair to dogs to create a German Shepherd they are proud of and that continues to improve the breed.

Also, females get spayed. Males are neutered.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You know, my black GSD is absolutely gorgeous, I think he is and so do my friends and my family, he has a fantastic temperment and he gets along great with people, kids, cats and other dogs but he doesn't have any titles, he is from a BYB, he doesn't have the best health and he doesn't have good bloodlines, as much as I love him and as much as I would love to have a puppy from him I would never breed him, he is not going to make the breed better, he is going to produce more puppies and those puppies are going to produce puppies and those puppies are going to produce more puppies, get the picture? There are too many puppies dying everyday, why would I want one of my dog's puppies to die the same way?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha stop making out as if I'm bad to dogs. I love dogs if you seen how spoilt my dog was you wouldn't say that , and Ireland isn't as bad as America we actuly have a Conscience when it come to training animals , all the puppies will be giving to family members who are dog lovers, none will be in shelters.

So it's not people like me that leave dogs like that.

She's 5 months nearly 6 , and before you start I know I'm about a year off breeding yet I'm hardly gonna start breeding out of a 5 month pup!

She's very smart, great temper with kids ,good for security very protective but does not bite. Very playful. Easy to house train.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She should be at least 2 years old. Health tested, hips checked and preferably titled in something to show she can work like the breed was meant too.

She is a long coat (probably) and is not to breed standard so many will say she should not be bred. If she has temperament issues (fear or aggression) then she definitely should not bred. Which by the way, some issues you won't see until 2 years old since depending on the line, German Shepherds do not mature until 2-3 years old.

If your family wants a great dog, then their best bet is to go to a reputable breeder to stack the odds in their favor.

You won't get a lot of support here for breeding your pet. We are strong advocates of leaving the breeding to the professionals. The people who have researched bloodlines and genetics and know how to pair to dogs to create a German Shepherd they are proud of and that continues to improve the breed.

Also, females get spayed. Males are neutered.
Breeding professionals ? What people who take 9 litters out of one dog , no way .

I'd rather get one litter out of my dog then that's it. And it's purely for family not sold told random Joe.

·
5,627 Posts
She's very smart, great temper with kids ,good for security very protective but does not bite. Very playful. Easy to house train.
She's a baby. At this age, she doesn't have it in her to be protective. If she seems protective, she's acting in fear. I hope you read around the site quite a bit. You'll learn a lot of the development of German Shepherds. They aren't your average dog.

Breeding professionals ? What people who take 9 litters out of one dog , no way .
That's not my definition of a breeding professional. Check out the breeding section of the forum. You'll see what most of us think is a good breeder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not fear if she's around fields she will run after cows and sheep lol

When someone she dosent know comes into the house she barks and tried to scare them off like most dogs would, when you reassure her that the persons ok she's straight up getting petted and licking them.

For a young pup she's very mature and old fashioned already with her own wee personality.

So does anyone have a answer to my question ?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You know, my black GSD is absolutely gorgeous, I think he is and so do my friends and my family, he has a fantastic temperment and he gets along great with people, kids, cats and other dogs but he doesn't have any titles, he is from a BYB, he doesn't have the best health and he doesn't have good bloodlines, as much as I love him and as much as I would love to have a puppy from him I would never breed him, he is not going to make the breed better, he is going to produce more puppies and those puppies are going to produce puppies and those puppies are going to produce more puppies, get the picture? There are too many puppies dying everyday, why would I want one of my dog's puppies to die the same way?
I agree. :)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Haha stop making out as if I'm bad to dogs. I love dogs if you seen how spoilt my dog was you wouldn't say that , and Ireland isn't as bad as America we actuly have a Conscience when it come to training animals , all the puppies will be giving to family members who are dog lovers, none will be in shelters.

So it's not people like me that leave dogs like that.

She's 5 months nearly 6 , and before you start I know I'm about a year off breeding yet I'm hardly gonna start breeding out of a 5 month pup!

If your dog has 10 puppies you already have homes for all 10?

I didn't say "So it's not people like me that leave dogs like that." but what I did say was "Go look at your local animal shelter, those dogs are there because of people like you." Meaning that people who think the way you do, producing puppies because you think your dog is great and people want a puppy from her, are the reasons why so many puppies are in shelters, there are not enough homes in the world for puppies and dogs and that is why they are in shelters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a big family 12 aunts and uncles , 7 of them want puppies and my granny wants one , and il keep 2 for sure. That's if she has 10.

Anyone answer my question ?

·
5,627 Posts
It's not fear if she's around fields she will run after cows and sheep lol
That has nothing to do with protection.

When someone she dosent know comes into the house she barks and tried to scare them off like most dogs would,
This is out of fear of peope she doesn't know... not protecting you or the house.

These are all the things you should look for in a stud dog as well. Males also mature slower than females.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dogs are considered sexually matured and ready for mating at age 2.
unless you have her vet checked and she has OFA clearance, hips/eyes rated, etc. I wouldn't do it.
Do all of your homework research, and make sure you have homes for all these pups, and they don't end up dumped, abandoned or in the shelter. that wouldn't be fair.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tara if I may.....what people here are trying to say is we know you love your dog and I bet she's awesome but your dog and the dog she is going to breed with should have some kind of working ability....PROVEN working ability not chasing sheep or cows around the yard. The dogs should be titled and this is for the better of the breed. I have a female with a proven working background on both sides and I wouldn't even breed her, I am man enough to say that I don't know enough about it and I don't have the time or the money to raise a litter. There are so many beautiful dogs out there but that does not mean they should be bread. Just look into it a bit more, if you TRULY love the breed you will do some hard research first.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Working titles are very important, but let us set that aside and focus on health verification. Hips & Elbows on dogs to be bred should be certified. What do you know about the health concerns of GSDs?

The most important thing I would say to someone such as yourself is this......

The perception your dog is special is a natural part of being in love, but not a sufficient reason to breed her.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.