German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often is too often to breed a female? I came across a breeder announcing a new litter and recalled the momma having pups just 5 months ago. It seemed really soon, but I am no expert. Just trying to increase my GSD knowledge. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I hate seeing females bred season after season continuously for their reproductive lifetimes....it makes me sad for her...

I don't mind seeing an occassional back to back if the female is given a break before and after, and lives a life as a normal dog - not a puppy factory...I also know that a good producer who is a good and happy mother can stay in good physical shape and have pups at 8 years old - other females look worn out and old at 5 and can have had 6 litters by that age....

Unfortunately, in Europe, many many females are bred continuously until they fail to conceive....interestingly, in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period. They are not allowed to be bred after producing 4 litters.

Lee

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
"in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period."

That would put a serious hurt on the puppymills.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
A lot depends on the breed. My friend breeds Irish Wolfhounds. Their ‘normal’ lifespan is only about 6-8 years and they are not fully mature until almost 3. So that doesn’t leave a lot of time for breeding. Some breeders will breed back to back to back (3 breedings) and that’s it.

Some people (and I am beginning to fall into that category) believe it is not natural for a bitch to go through heats without becoming pregnant.

But, it’s hard on a bitch to be pregnant all the time.

And, you want to see how the offspring develop so you can adjust your next breeding to decrease faults and increase desired traits.

So – what should a responsible breeder do?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: NWS_Haven "in Denmark, females can only have 4 litters - period."

That would put a serious hurt on the puppymills.
I think they would just have more bitches and dump them as soon as they produce their 4th.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Depends on the female, age, etc. IMO. I know one female who had a litter and it almost took her a full year to get back in top phsyical condition. Some females a couple weeks after weaning don't even look like they even had puppies and recover very quickly. I am not for any dog living exclusively in a kennel and cranking out just litter after litter and never seeing the light of day. All dogs deserve a good quality of life IMO. If the female is in top physical condition and healthy, recovers quickly, and lives a quality life I see no problem with back to back breedings...to a point of course....I would hate to see any dog bred continously year after year after year.

Good females have a very short breeding career, as usually when they are younger they are too busy proving themselves on the trial field and the show ring.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
"I think they would just have more bitches and dump them as soon as they produce their 4th."

You're probably right Lauri. It's hard to stop greed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Actually I think it is a good way to buy a REALLY nice brood bitch, as they have no reason to hold on them and keep them for exclusive breeding since they are limited on the number she can produce in that country.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
The breeder I was talking to in Denmark resells his females quite often - I declined to sell one of my Gringo females for this reason - there was even an offer to return her after the 4 litters for $X - a trade off for a different female could have been done as well...it just made me uncomfortable.

Lee

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
You have to wait for them to come into heat again before you can breed right? So how could a bitch that just had puppies 5 months ago, have puppies again?

Not sure how to work what I am trying to ask... Would it be like a human woman, who can be very fertile after having a baby?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am not sure about breeding. The breeder I got Dozer from only breeds the female once a year maybe and it is only to a certain age. I am not sure of the details, she also only has a few dogs with her which are in her house and hang out with her in the office. The rest of the dogs are in homes with families. I would think 5 months later might be too much but I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Originally Posted By: HarleyGirl52874You have to wait for them to come into heat again before you can breed right? So how could a bitch that just had puppies 5 months ago, have puppies again?
because i think their heats are (approx) 6mo apart regardless if they've had puppies or not - so if she had puppies (approx) 5mo ago - that means her heat cycle was actually (approx) 7 months ago... keeping in mind using weeks is much more accurate. so it is possible for her to have just dropped a litter.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Yes, you have to wait for them to come into heat again, but not all bitches have 6 month cycles. Some cycle every 3-4 months.

Also, need to define "had pups 5 months ago". Does it mean she whelped 5 months ago? Or pups were on the ground, maybe weaned and going home? Big time difference between the two.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If your breeding a bitch over and over how are you bettering the breed? All the talk on here is about making the breed better and you don't know what you just produced in the last litter. You could have just made a cross that produced nothing but monsters who love to bite people. No way you would know unless it's a cross you already made... which if it was her last heat cycle then here comes the puppy mill again. Most of the people who are breeding over and over or back to back are nothing more than a puppy mill even if they don't want to believe it. They might be high dollar dogs or high dollar families who are doing it but you still wear the same puppy mill shoes in the end.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Our females bounce back very well after birth and quickly get back into muscle tone; they are in excellent physical/muscle shape before and during pregnancy, which makes a huge difference. They are exercise in the AM prior to work, stretch out and hang out in the large outside kennels during the day listening to NPR and alternate on working. I am better on them then I was on myself when i was expecting...:)

Most of the "crated" females that I have seen take much longer to recouperate, as they did not have the "physical" fitness prior and during.

The RAW diet makes a huge difference. We do not feed prepared RAW - I like actually taking the time and effort for them that we try and do for ourselves. Learning and adjusting, based on successful RAW feeders.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: rapnek74If your breeding a bitch over and over how are you bettering the breed?
They're not. That's why repeated back to back to back to back to back breedings is considered to be a big red flag that indicates a questionable breeder.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: rapnek74If your breeding a bitch over and over how are you bettering the breed? All the talk on here is about making the breed better and you don't know what you just produced in the last litter. You could have just made a cross that produced nothing but monsters who love to bite people. No way you would know unless it's a cross you already made... which if it was her last heat cycle then here comes the puppy mill again. Most of the people who are breeding over and over or back to back are nothing more than a puppy mill even if they don't want to believe it. They might be high dollar dogs or high dollar families who are doing it but you still wear the same puppy mill shoes in the end.
Let me do some math....
Bitch has all her health certs and titles by oh....3.
When she's 5 her first litter is already 2 and health certed and titled.....and then she's bred back to back. That makes the breeder a puppy miller?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally Posted By: Barb E.
Originally Posted By: rapnek74If your breeding a bitch over and over how are you bettering the breed? All the talk on here is about making the breed better and you don't know what you just produced in the last litter. You could have just made a cross that produced nothing but monsters who love to bite people. No way you would know unless it's a cross you already made... which if it was her last heat cycle then here comes the puppy mill again. Most of the people who are breeding over and over or back to back are nothing more than a puppy mill even if they don't want to believe it. They might be high dollar dogs or high dollar families who are doing it but you still wear the same puppy mill shoes in the end.
Let me do some math....
Bitch has all her health certs and titles by oh....3.
When she's 5 her first litter is already 2 and health certed and titled.....and then she's bred back to back. That makes the breeder a puppy miller?

There should be lots of study done before a litter is produced... if your breeding for the betterment of the breed. One of the key factors is the ability of the last litter. When the last litter is only 6 months old... considering you go by the 62 day cycle then yes, in my opinion you are becoming a puppy mill.

You guys all have more experience than I when it comes to breeding GSDs but I have done my homework. This isn't my first rodeo and I have breed for the betterment of a breed... just not GSDs. It's my opinion that if you have what you call a brood bitch then you are just that, a puppy mill. In my experience a younger bitch produces the best pups. The more you breed a dog the worse the litter gets. There is nothing wrong with breeding a bitch more than once. It's when you only keep her for breeding that your missing the point.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
But in my example the first litter was 2 years old and had health certs and titles before the bitch was bred back to back.

I don't understand

And
Quote: In my experience a younger bitch produces the best pups. The more you breed a dog the worse the litter gets.
Huh? How's that?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts