German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as reputable breeders we only should breed the healthiest dogs. Right? WD is a good example; fit, sound built and strong. He leads a good doggy life and can play and exercise as long and hard as he wants.
Today I worked with a teenager and her Pug. The poor dog couldn't even walk half a block and was out of breath, despite having had an operation (common for Pugs to have :mad: ) to breathe easier. He couldn't walk long enough to learn proper leash manners and we had to go home. It was only in the 70's today and he is only two years old.
I hate what the AKC does to some of the breeds. Why is this allowed? It is a form of abuse if we create dogs that cannot be dogs. Grrrrrr.........

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I cant even begin to explain the possible logic behind it. Just like I can't explain the logic behind continuing to breed dogs that need help to breed (bulldogs come to mind). Seems to me that nature is trying to weed them out if they're unable to breed without human assistance. I just don't understand the thought process behind some things. Could also be due to the fact that I'm a snoutist and don't believe brachycephalic breeds hold any function other than snoring, farting and burping their companions into the so ugly its cute mentality. Could also be that I much prefer a dog that's able to hike with me in all kinds of weather too. ~insert shrug here~

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Originally of course the breeds weren't that way .. and the AKC didn't do it. It's just a registry service for purebred dogs .. it's the breed clubs/judges that determine what's 'in'. For bulldogs obviously they loved the blocky head, the bigger the better (among other things). For the short snouted breeds, someone decided shorter was better. Fads are to blame for some issues we see in dogs.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
People breed their dogs because they can, no thought or consideration going into it. Years ago someone I knew decided to breed their Cocker Spaniel - the mini american type of Spaniel (as opposed to the British Cockers that are still bred as working dogs). Didn't think much of it, I wasn't as educated about responsible breeding back then as I am now, but I flipped when she said that if she breeds her, her dog will need a cesarian either way because the breed is too small to deliver naturally - already got it set up with her vet.

I thought this was the epitome of selfishness and disregard for the wellness and health of her dog, and dogs in general - why in the world would you breed an animal that has been so bred down in size, that they have lost the ability to have a natural delivery? And her vet was all okay with this, like this was normal routine stuff. Ugh!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I hate what the AKC does to some of the breeds.
The AKC does not breed dogs, they do not set the breed standard, they do not educate the judges nor the breeders. It is not their job.

It's the job of the breed club to make sure: judges know what the best dog looks like, educate breeders, ensure that the best examples of the breed are turning up in the show ring where they get exposure.

It's too bad that the breed clubs in the USA don't have the same breed oversight powers as the ones in Europe. Breed club will deny papers to a litter if the mating was done without approval. (I don't know if this is universal in Europe, but I know that some breed clubs have this power, at least.)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AKC does not breed dogs, they do not set the breed standard, they do not educate the judges nor the breeders. It is not their job.

It's the job of the breed club to make sure: judges know what the best dog looks like, educate breeders, ensure that the best examples of the breed are turning up in the show ring where they get exposure.

It's too bad that the breed clubs in the USA don't have the same breed oversight powers as the ones in Europe. Breed club will deny papers to a litter if the mating was done without approval. (I don't know if this is universal in Europe, but I know that some breed clubs have this power, at least.)
Then who sets the breed standard, sanctions the shows? I am going to cancel my membership of my local purebred dog club after yesterdays' Pug session.
I took WD as a little pup to the show trainings for socialization. There was someone with a show GSD pup, the same age as WD, but she didn't look or talk to me. Politics, politics.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant even begin to explain the possible logic behind it. Just like I can't explain the logic behind continuing to breed dogs that need help to breed (bulldogs come to mind). Seems to me that nature is trying to weed them out if they're unable to breed without human assistance. I just don't understand the thought process behind some things. Could also be due to the fact that I'm a snoutist and don't believe brachycephalic breeds hold any function other than snoring, farting and burping their companions into the so ugly its cute mentality. Could also be that I much prefer a dog that's able to hike with me in all kinds of weather too. ~insert shrug here~
Eng. Bulldogs need help with breeding, birthing (C section), nursing and living in general; folds need to be clean daily to avoid skin problems. The tail is too tight to the body that they soil themselves often with pooping.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Then who sets the breed standard, sanctions the shows?
The breed's national parent club does that. They write the standards, determined how their breed is judged and who is allowed to judge them, and apply to be part of a "group" with a kennel club like the AKC or UKC.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Buyer demand plays a huge role in it too.

This might not be universally true, but where I am, a TON of these dogs are produced by puppy mills. There's a store not too far from my home that always seems to have a couple of pug, French bulldog, and/or English bulldog puppies for sale. They go for about $2000-2500 apiece.

If people weren't buying those dogs -- and paying those prices for them -- those poor little guys wouldn't be in there. And the buyers who pay that kind of money for pet shop dogs don't care, or probably even know about, breed standards or AKC champions. They just want those puppies because they're cute.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dogs have great genetic variability. That's why there's only a few dozen purebred forms of domestic cats and hundreds of purebred forms of the domestic dog.

They don't exist in the wild but they do cater to human needs, wants and tastes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts