German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i am the guy that posted the sound track to heaven vid with my dogs barking. i really find it an important trait.

as luck would have it i really like my dog's bark, he turns most anyone to jelly legs if he is faced off and barking straight at them.

sounds dumb but i would need to listen to the parents bark now before considering a pup.

i get underwhelmed sometimes looking at champ schuts dogs barking and a lot of times it sounds really lame to me depending on the individual dog but it certainly is a deal breaker all other things being equal.

i know a lot of training goes into schuts dogs to give the judge a picture of a serious dog, if ya have to train it into a dog......?

so is this even an issue/trait that breeders consider, honestly i have never seen a thread specifically about this, to me it is a def deal breaker.

thoughts??

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Uh, I certainly would prioritize breeding for a certain type of voice over the many other traits of a dog. And hearing the parents bark doesn't guarantee the pups will sound anything like them.

I have a dog here that has a bark I am not fond of. I feel he sounds like a Malinois.

Still a nice dog, and I wouldn't pass him over for the bark.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
The problem is there's so much other stuff to breed for and against. Stable temperament, strong nerves, aggression thresholds, social aggression or lack thereof, hips, DM, health, hardiness, prey drive, play drive, pack drive, food drive. . . . once you're done breeding for all of that you really can't exclude or include a dog for something like its tone of voice.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
That should say "wouldn't". I WOULDN'T prioritize it. It's silly

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but as a puppy buyer i can do whatever i want and if the parents got all that and a convincing tone (better than bark word) thats where my money will go. note my own personal dog never barked untill he was near 12mo so i would obviously listen to the parents and hope it is inherited, i would guess a bark tone is more inheritable than good hips or prey drive?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Xeph would you say it is sillier than buying a pup based on color which is one of the most important things for so many on this board, if not why is it so different to selecting for color??

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have two GSD's and their barks are worlds apart. The female is older and she can have a deep bark, but I've only heard it once. The male is one and his bark is bone chilling. I think I prefer her bark over his. When I first heard him, it completely threw me.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
In a lot of cases the dogs bark is based off how it is worked. When you took your dog to the experienced decoy, did he work your dog in both prey and defense? If so you can hear the difference in barks. A prey bark is more "yippy" while a defensive bark is deeper. Also in my experience, people who work their puppies from 8 weeks on and never give them time to grow up get stuck with a yippy puppy bark. That's one of the reasons with my current puppy I only bring him out every so often. Once he matures more I will work him constantly. That being said, some dogs just don't have strong barks but a strong silent guard is just as intimidating.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my dog never saw any decoy untill he was 18mo, that was straight up mental intimidation of the dog, i already posted that first session.

not sure if agree it is all a function of training, if it was i would not have commented on the great finished dog performances i seen (on yt) with dissapointing but the all important "rythmic" barks.

eh maybe ya have to be a hound guy first before barks mean much, each to his own. just somehing for me to consider when looking for my next pup.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
my dog never saw any decoy untill he was 18mo, that was straight up mental intimidation of the dog, i already posted that first session.

not sure if agree it is all a function of training, if it was i would not have commented on the great finished dog performances i seen (on yt) with dissapointing but the all important "rythmic" barks.

eh maybe ya have to be a hound guy first before barks mean much, each to his own. just somehing for me to consider when looking for my next pup.

Yes, and if your dog has never been worked in prey then you would have never experienced the yippy bark. Also for IPO, people are worried about far more things than the bark. Remember they mostly look for the prey monsters. In IPO there is no pressure on the dog. A strong strong will bring its own aggression to the table thus the strong bark in some but not all.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i do hear the shuts guys talk endlessly about the true value of the dog is seen in the intensity of the bark & hold, hold & bark whatever so clearly it is a valued trait by the competitor, but i never hear the breeder mention it, maybe they think it is not an inheritable trait so much, or like someone said they are too busy worrying about trying to get everything else right?

happy to stand as the only bark tone enthusiast on the planet, no prob here.

just for you myo here is my way too short bark vid, my gsd triggers at 4-6 seconds, thats getting at what i want to hear. you will also hear several different communication barks in this, will make a better recording one night just cos i want to.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Well that video got all of my dogs barking:)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i do hear the shuts guys talk endlessly about the true value of the dog is seen in the intensity of the bark & hold, hold & bark whatever so clearly it is a valued trait by the competitor, but i never hear the breeder mention it, maybe they think it is not an inheritable trait so much, or like someone said they are too busy worrying about trying to get everything else right?

The bark and hold is supposed to be an aggression exercise. It is to show the dogs willing to engage a passive person. The problem people get into is introducing too much aggression in the blind and creating the dog to get dirty. It has been my experience that too many people would rather sacrifice a point for a crappy bark than multiple points or a DQ for a dirty bite. Remember when talking sport it all comes down to points. Now, a strong dog will bring in its own aggression to the bark and hold without having to be pressured. It doesn't care if the decoy moves or not. And again, a dog only or mostly worked in prey will get stuck in the yippy bark. In your sound track, at 4-6 seconds is a defensive/warning bark.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and more importantly in terms of inheritability if you breed for correct drives will the correct bark come automatically as a "free" bonus with the package so to speak?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Idk SchH, but I will say, if you want a serious warning bark, get a deep chested hound. My male GSD has come into his own, at 2-1/2 (his bark Hurts my ears) but my 62-lb Weim bitch is still the one who stops men in their tracks with nothing more than the sound of her voice ;). My male will present himself up front and personal, but hers is the bark they heed first... Before they ever even see my grey ghost standing behind him, lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bark tone linked to conformation, interesting, would like to hear more from this angle?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
a strong silent guard is just as intimidating.
Haha, sometimes even MORE intimidating. The SchH 3 rottie at my club is awesome. Right before the release for the escape grip he puts his head on the ground, so freaking calm, and then is off like a freaking bullet once given the command. It's almost eery how calm and collected he is, like "alright...I'm going to get you." haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts