German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
There's no "if". White is a masking gene.

A "biscut" colored dog is still a white dog. Just because it's not stark white, it's still a white. I've owned several black dogs who were all subtly different shades of black. But they're still black.

Variations in color are caused by variations in pigment expression, as well as variations in hair structure causing differences in light refraction (since our perception of color is caused by light refraction).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This is an interesting topic - it's always fabulous to learn from you all!

It also seems to be common that the biscut coloring comes through on a white dog in the pattern area of where the saddle or blanket would be on a colored dog. Since it is caused by variation in pigment expression, could this be called "bleed through"? Like with some black GSDs having bleed through where ground color markings would be?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had 7 WGSDs over the years. None have been dead white. All but one had biscuit on the ear tips, a stripe down the back, and on the tail tip. The one exception had an actual biscuit mask and blanket pattern.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild If it carries 2 copies of the white masking gene, it would BE white.
Isn't the same true of a Blue or Liver GSD? That both parents have to carry the gene? Just curious. This really interests me.

·
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: lish91883
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild If it carries 2 copies of the white masking gene, it would BE white.
Isn't the same true of a Blue or Liver GSD? That both parents have to carry the gene? Just curious. This really interests me.
Yes. Blue and liver are recessive. And as is true of all recessive genes, both parents must carry them and the puppies inherit 2 copies of the gene, one from each parent, to show the trait themselves. If a dog carries only 1 copy of the gene, he won't display the trait but can pass the gene on to his pups. If a dog has 2 copies of the gene, he'll display the trait himself.

Though blue and liver are dilution genes that affect black pigment, not masking genes like white.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Romance - the same allelic combination that causes Yellow in Labs is the same combination that causes white in shepherds. Acording to Sheila Schmutz, there may be another marker gene that causes the degree of biscuiting in the coat.

I think it is possible that the intensity locus (controls the intensity of tan markings) and the Agouti Locus (the pattern) probably both have something to do with the creaming in the coat.

And Chris is very right - it IS a masking gene. Sheila Schmutz recently published her findings in the J.Heredity. The cause of the white coat is at the Extension Locus, which has the following Alleles :

Em - Dog with Agouti pattern and a black mask
E - Do with Agouti Patterns and no mask
e - dog with coat masked by white (does not affect skin)

The Liver is caused at the Black Locus, the Blue is caused at the Dilution Locus and the all Black dogs are the result of the most recessive allele at the Agouti Locus and dogs that are dominant at the two Loci that cause dilution and the E Locus.

~Cate

·
Banned
1,408 Posts
i didn't mean if..ment with. sometimes when im having problems with my siezures what i'm thinking has a hard time getting out on the typing.
thank you for both explinations.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned (but I could very well have missed it!)...

Back to the OP - if the WGSD descends from a long line of whites, could the breeding to a black be being used to determine the color that the WMGene is covering up in this dog?

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
So the bi-color comes from... black recessive(both parents) and b&T?

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
So how do you get the bi-color?

·
13,571 Posts
Bi-color is a color/pattern like the others. Bi-color genes are recessive to sable and black/tan and dominant over solid black.

2 solid blacks cannot produce a bi-color, because bi-color is dominant over black. So if they carried the genes for bi-color they'd be bi-color.
Sable and black/tan can both carry recessives for bi-color and produce bi-color pups. And of course, bi-colors obviously carry the bi-color gene and can produce bi-color pups.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts