German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 8 year old german shepherd. I'd like to breed her. Is she too old? Should I take her to the vet first to make sure she is ok to be bred?
Thank you,
Tyler

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
She's too old.
I agree, in fact the vet visit for her spay could save her life. I had a friend delay a spay on their senior bitch and not only did she almost die from pyrometra the bill from the vet ended up being almost $2000. Scary time and they were lucky she made it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
We just pulled an 8.5 y.o. dog with great genetics into rescue....and she had life-threatening pyometra too. The spay saved her life too. Our bill wasn't as high as MaggieRoseLee's friend's bill, but it was still a lot (nearly $900).

Risking an old dog's life seems like far too big a risk to me, esp. for a dog who's been good and loyal her whole life. These last years are the years to cherish her, and let her enjoy her 'retirement.'

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Yes, she is too old.

Spaying is not a bad suggestion. Friend dealt with pyo in too older females. Very expensive and very scary.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
****, I'm glad I just got Jasira spayed and she's only 3 but the vet said she had over-large odd shaped ovaries. He doubted she could ever get bred anyway. I wouldn't have because she came back with mild hip dysplasia after I had her x-rays done. I won't pass that along.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Aside from the obvious reasons, do you know what you are doing as far as breeding? Not trying to offend, I just don't know your background? Do you have decades of experience and have successfully bred gsd's for the betterment of the breed and have you had them in dog sport, titled... I mean I'm just not sure if this would be your first time or if you are a long standing hobby breeder or what? Like I said, I don't know your background BUT if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals, plus your dog is older, these are her golden years. Just love her and leave her be as far as the breeding.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Aside from the obvious reasons, do you know what you are doing as far as breeding? Not trying to offend, I just don't know your background? Do you have decades of experience and have successfully bred gsd's for the betterment of the breed and have you had them in dog sport, titled... I mean I'm just not sure if this would be your first time or if you are a long standing hobby breeder or what? Like I said, I don't know your background BUT if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals, plus your dog is older, these are her golden years. Just love her and leave her be as far as the breeding.
So the prerequisite to breeding a litter of dogs...is decades of experience breeding dogs?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would not breed an 8 year old for the first time, no.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals,
Every professional once was a newbie plus "professional"doesn't make it necessarily good. Puppy mills are also professional breeders, earning their money by producing dogs.
As soon as someone mentions the word "breeding" we get a flood of the well-known comments and questions on basically why they should forget about it.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Every professional once was a newbie plus "professional"doesn't make it necessarily good. Puppy mills are also professional breeders, earning their money by producing dogs.
As soon as someone mentions the word "breeding" we get a flood of the well-known comments and questions on basically why they should forget about it.
You are right about the professional word, and how even back yard and puppy mill breeders can be considered professional. In that case let me rephrase. "Leave it to the reputable breeders"

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You are right about the professional word, and how even back yard and puppy mill breeders can be considered professional. In that case let me rephrase. "Leave it to the reputable breeders"

How does one become reputable if the breeding is only left to the established reputable breeders? Are new people never allowed to breed?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
How does one become reputable if the breeding is only left to the established reputable breeders? Are new people never allowed to breed?
Phrases like these have become cliches over time and don't mean anything and it feels like people are copying them without really knowing what it means. There is not a definite standard for "reputable" because it is subjective.

If we would only go to experienced breeders, we will lose the breed in the next few (human) generations.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.