German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be first time dog owner. Looking for working line.

Any thoughts on this pedigree

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
That is a far cry from the East German dogs you wanted before. What is it your looking to do with the dog? It’s rare that I say it, but I wouldn’t choose this as a first time dog owner litter unless you have someone very good to work with. Drive and aggression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what kind of working line is this GSD?
I’m aware of the drive and aggression. I’m looking for a family guard dog.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
West German working line’s mostly. Just understand the type of dog you’re getting. If you don’t plan to be pretty active with it, you will be in for a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you define active? I work 8hour shifts 3 times a day. I’m also an independent contractor I work on my own schedule certain days. I think I’m capable of being with the dog most of the time throughout the day.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I assume you mean 3 times a week, not day. You can be a working adult. I think it’s very rare the dog you can’t. It’s more about what you do with the rest of your time. This is the type of dog that will require lots of mental and physical stimulation. At some point you will probably also need to work on settling. There are threads here that talk about daily routines with dogs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you define active? I work 8hour shifts 3 times a day. I’m also an independent contractor I work on my own schedule certain days. I think I’m capable of being with the dog most of the time throughout the day.
Being with the dog multiple hours of the days is not the same as providing the mental and physical stimulation the dog may require. Honestly, it depends on the puppy. The pedigrees indicate a high likely hood of a very driven dog. Active means physical and mental exertion, which only means conditioning the dog to be more physically and mentally capable. You're only building up their threshold to when they will quit. Walk a 4moth old puppy 1 mile to get her to relax, when she is 6 months old you need to walk her 3 miles to get the same result. Its not just walking, there has to be a mental stimulation that is incorporated. We used scent and obedience training. Tracking with food, Hunt the mice in the field, Sit stay heel. You will need to teach the dog new things all the time to keep it from resorting to destructive acts, chewing, digging, marking, and all that. It goes back to purpose IMHO. They will herd until they fall over from exhaustion if you give them the opportunity. Purpose. First time dog owner? I've been around dogs and GSD for about all of my 50 years of life. Its a mixed bag. Its not beyond a reasonable persons capabilities to address any problems they come across. Best of luck with your new addition.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
You can’t just buy a high drive GSD and expect it to grow into a “family guard dog.”
I strongly suggest you find your local German Shepherd dog club, go and look at dogs, talk to the owners, and see for yourself what is required to own one of these dogs.
Even a lower drive GSD is a lot of work, and if you have never owned a dog before, it can be overwhelming.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT a companion pedigree - not a novice owner pedigree.

One dog very very close up was bred by a guy who I knew pretty well. Spent time with him in Europe, he found me some dogs.....I considered buying this dog but the temperament he described was not going to fit into my home, my goals or my comfort zone. He was subsequently sold, titled and used at stud. Then - Not. This is NOT a combo or even individually either parent that I would feel comfortable recommending for anyone as a companion except someone very experienced due to the potential for hard serious aggression and possible orthopedic issues.

Lee

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you seen the parents? If this is the breeding you have settled on I would encourage getting a good working dog trainer or joining a schutzhund club. This would be an interesting pedigree if you were committed to training in one of the protection sports but these puppies will likely require time and money committed to an experienced trainer. My own male is not a dog that you take to training at petsmart. If this litter is your must have I would encourage a female. Most of the situations where people get bitten or in over their head appear to be males. I have one friend who got a free 7 month pup from one of the top breeders out there when the owner threatened to take it to the spca. They were completely outmatched by a young pup. To be fair the dog as an adult is not safe for most people to handle. Personally I am hearing of more outmatched pet buyers as the public gravitates towards hi octane working dogs and that includes other breeds like malinois. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts