German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's interesting that the vast majority of the breeders here are proud of their kennels (as they should be) and have their website listed in their sig line. Yet there are some that don't list their site. Perhaps some don't have a website, but in this day and age one would assume that most breeders with multiple breeding dogs that are savvy enough to regularly post on here could make at least a basic site. At the very least, if they don't have a website, surely they have a kennel name they would list. :confused:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I know of one that gets PO'd if the site is put up here...I've tried it before and s/he has it removed by the Admin. Not sure the reasoning, s/he should be proud of what s/he is breeding.

I was thinking today that there should be kennels listed on a forum(no comments on them) but just a reference and the "how to choose a breeder" as a sticky for that forum. Though it could be construed as advertising so maybe not such a good idea.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
To each their own. I don't really feel one way or another about it. Some breeders maybe like the anonymity of being able to post here and talk about GSD's without having a business frame of mind going on. I know some get defensive because they think there is a disagreement of the "type" they are breeding. Maybe they don't think they need the business. Everyone has their own comfort level with putting themselves out there on the internet.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have to say that I wish people would post links to their kennels. While not in the market for a puppy right now you never know what the future holds. If I ever were to get another puppy it would make it easy for me to find a breeder and I trust some people on here more than just a random breeder that I know nothing about.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
To each their own. I don't really feel one way or another about it. Some breeders maybe like the anonymity of being able to post here and talk about GSD's without having a business frame of mind going on. I know some get defensive because they think there is a disagreement of the "type" they are breeding.
But when a breeder who won't even use their real name is boasting about themselves or criticizing other lines, etc and don't want the board they are posting on to know what they breed, that raises eyebrows and gets the curiosity going.
Especially when they say they are a breeder, so anonymity is already gone.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My personal opinion is - if you breed it, you should be able and proud to defend it.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
My personal opinion is - if you breed it, you should be able and proud to defend it.
Agreed!!! But at the same time, I don't have a problem with people not linking their kennel in their signature. There are breeders on the board (I can think of one off the top of my head), who have a WEALTH of knowledge and experience, breed top-quality working dogs, consider themselves breeders, openly share their knowledge with all, but don't have a link in their signature to their kennel. Not an issue with me, they don't hide behind a fake name, and don't hide what they breed.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
To each their own. I don't really feel one way or another about it. Some breeders maybe like the anonymity of being able to post here and talk about GSD's without having a business frame of mind going on. I know some get defensive because they think there is a disagreement of the "type" they are breeding. Maybe they don't think they need the business. Everyone has their own comfort level with putting themselves out there on the internet.
I agree with all of this...Sometimes divulging less on the internet is better than divulging too much.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think it's great that breeders post their websites and info, but for me personally I wouldn't put anything on a public forum that would allow anyone to find where I live or work. Too many weirdos on the internet.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Some breeders (like ourselves) don't have a working website, or have a very simple one.
Our last website was very simple....."Our dogs, our breeding's, our history"....no frills.
Since almost all our puppies or dogs are sold or placed by personal referral....a huge, extensive website has never been a priority for us.
Although.....in this day & age...we have had more requests for a site, than ever before.....so we have a simple one again in the works.

Personally, if I'm interested in a specific breeder....I contact them, ask for info & pictures....then continue on...
JMO
Robin

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I own an aquarium shop and at one time sponsored 14 forum boards. In my view, folks who frequent forums are some of the worst customers. They try to leverage their circumstance/posting and if you don't cave-in to their expectations....wham, you're getting blasted on a public venue. I don't go for being held hostage.

If you're breeding, and have sufficient customers....why bother?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
A good breeder doesn't need a website, though it is to their benefit(weeds out many that just inquire, they could have all that info just looking at the site, so contacting for the simple questions would get tedious for a breeder)

But to keep your kennel name under wraps just doesn't sit right with me. Why would anyone want to purchase or support a breeder that is mysterious that way?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I agree with Jane. Top secret kennels are a bit to much for me. If you breed it, you should be proud to show it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
While I will post pictures sometimes of my family, and my area of living, I personally do not like giving out to much information. While I may not be a breeder, I can understand that there is such a thing as giving *to* much information online.

The only place some people are keeping it from is forums, or the internet..Its not at some peoples disposal, so what? If they dont want *anyone* to *ever* know, then I could see the problem.

To not tell a few people on message boards?

My guess is that they don't want people sending them crap email complaining about their breeding, (like PeTA or very pro rescue only ppl) harassment, or otherwise people who want to waste their time.

That and it isnt really anyones business IMO unless you or someone you know is looking to buy from them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Different strokes for different folks....

I tend to get an idea about people from what they say in their posts. And almost just as importantly, how they say it.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I do not have a website.

Anyone can PM me if they are interested in puppies and I can send info. A website is something the future may hold.

But I am not here to hawk my puppies.

And, I will not ship puppies, so that kind of limits me anyway.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
For me who is somewhat new and doesn't know who is a breeder or not here without a site linked I wish all the breeders would "out" themselves so to speak so I can have more options when a puppy is in my nearer future. My lab is 8 and in good health but when he passes I know I want a black male GSD from east german working lines with moderate drive, solid nerves, and even temperament. A family dog and not a Schutz prospect, but all the same a well bred dog who can keep up with our busy outdoorsy family who will travel well, not be spooked by tons of people, noise, activity, and be a loving companion.

I get not wanting to get blasted by forum members online but those posts would be removed anyway, and I would rather support a breeder here who I "know" a little about then a complete stranger. I suspect our next dog will probably have to be shipped taking away the option of a kennel visit or getting to have the breeder meet us in person and assess what dog would be best for us. If there was a list of breeders for reference in the how to chose a breeder section with links to their site or just contact info that would provide me and other potential customers with more options when looking for our next family member. Definitely to each their own but for those willing it would be nice:)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I don't think the breeders who do have websites post ALL their contact information. I think some just have a separate email for their breeding website, or a separate phone number.

I like the idea of a website pictures of the dogs, information on the dogs and the breeder themselves. But then again if the breeder doesn't have a website but is very willing to talk via PM, then that is perfectly fine with me.

But if the breeder is hiding their kennel name or website and don't want anyone to know about their kennel, then thats just makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
If a kennel is top secret or hiding-then they obviously just don't care whether they sell to you and maybe they just have another market and it isn't you-To me some of these breeders threads seem awfully judgemental. In one of my first posts to this board a breeder said that often people who are well known in the dog community post under different user names so they can say what they want without being identified-my thought then and now is that even if the person who posted was well respected in the dog community it wouldn't change how I felt about that post. If someone wants to say who they are great if not its none of my business. Why does someone have to defend their dogs-

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If I had a kennel, I wouldn't attach my name to it on a forum either... it would be bad for business! :rofl:
I'm not the type of person I'd want representing the business' name... I enjoy conflict and debating and just ranting sometimes. A business should be represented in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with correct spelling and grammar... I wouldn't even usually share my poop-related stories with my friends and family let alone post it on the web for all to see and judge my business.
If I could have a "business" and a "personal" account, then I would certainly link my kennel's name to the business account.
I would love to one day own a kennel I could be proud of, and share my goals and accomplishments... if anything, it would be my demented personality that would be the kennel’s dirty little secret, not my dogs. LOL
As for someone that keeps ALL of the information about their kennel a top secret... I’d keep looking. I like having access to information I can take home with me for my research and comparison... I can’t just talk to a person and go with how I feel about them. They may still be an excellent breeder but I’d still need my info :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts