German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a dog is something we are going to keep for over 10 years and is going to be with us everyday our life revolves around it

so why do some breeders get offended when you ask them something?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's what I think too--the breeders we bought from were more than happy to answer any and all questions, encouraged us to visit whenever we wanted, let us inspect the entire place and meet all the dogs. A good breeder wants to see their pups with a knowledgeable responsible owner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i asked a breeder why some of the dogs in the pedagree are not titled she almost had a **** heart attack

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hmmm, I'm sure everyone's experience is different. But my husband & I asked ALOT of questions, as the breeder asked us. She was very forthcoming & answered all of our questions without hesitation. She was very proud to talk about her breeding program.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You know, I try to see it from the other side.

Many breeders get people that just want to email, call and chat and bleed them dry of info and then go buy a dog from someone else. Im sure that would annoy anyone. Yes it is part of the business and you do have to answer questions but you get a fair share number of people who have no intention of buying anythin but want pics, videos and have tons of questions and that would piss me off after awhile.

I have learned now NOT to refer people to a breeder unless they are dead serious about buying something and are ready to put their money where their mouth is.

Many peopel expect for a breeder to kiss their *ss all the way till the cows come home. I hear it is a lot different here than in other countries.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't think the OP asked anything they weren't supposed to, but then again you never know.

I think when breeders avoid questions or answer rudely or show they don't like being asked questions is a red flag. Do they have something to hide?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
their answer was the non titled ones some were police dogs they did not give a clear answer just that a few were police dogs

i didnt ask anymore after that

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
A good breeder wouldn't be offended by questions, even if they are newbie questions. A good breeder should want to talk about his dogs till your ears fall off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
umm ace in case you did not know the whole point of asking a lot of questions is to figure out if the breeder is for you or not

if they go buy from someone else after asking a breeder a lot of quesxtions MAYBE THE BREEDERS DOG WAS NOT A FIT FOR THAT PERSON?

what do you expect people who want a dog to do? just go and buy ?

questions is the deciding factor of which dog we want and which breeder we choose

·
Registered
803 Posts
Before I ask questions....I did a lot of READING.
90% of the questions that I had were already answered on a number of forums and other places.

Before I ask questions I get as much info as I can so that when I do ask I can understand the answer and then go into deeper questions with that.

Not saying that there is something wrong with asking questions. You can be a "good" or "responsible" breeder and get tired of answering questions 24/7 from people who really aren't going to buy a pup. And it doesn't take long to find out if someone will buy or not and if they are just using you for info.

I made a conscious effort not to milk breeders for info if I knew I wasn't going to buy from them. I learned after calling a few and realizing questions I asked I could have easily gotten the answer on my own if I took the time out to research and do my own due dilligence. Just think depending on how big the breeder is, they may have 30+ people calling per day about dogs, have training to do, have clean kennels etc, answer another 50 emails, take pictures, shoot videos, help customers with questions that ALREADY bought puppies and God forbid this isn't their full time job or they really don't have any help.

When I decided on my breeder I had looked at lines and figured out what I wanted and told him this:

"I want a dog for PPD and I want to take him to the extremem with it. High drives, dominant, I will have a trainer for him, I want a male, dark sable if possible, even temperament."

Breeder said ok you will get just that. Done deal.
I got that and 100x more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
why would someone who is not looking to buy a pup bother a breeder for questions?

The questions the person is asking is about their pups they are not asking stupid things like HOW DO i teach my dog to sit? yeah i agree that is stupid but i dont think many people would do that.

stuff like "how is your dog in public" or tell me about the temperment of the dam are not things a forum is going to tell you only

i personally only contact breeders i would consider buying a pup from if they had the right one

the breeders pup that i was most interested in is a novice breeder who contacted me though

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
stuff like "how is your dog in public" or tell me about the temperment of the dam
Do you seriously expect that any breeder would answer the questions you ask as 'he's very fear aggressive' and 'the dam's temperament sucks', respectively? You would have a better luck finding people who have dogs out of that kennel or better that specific sire and dam and ask them these questions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you seriouslly saying a good breeder is not going to give you the truth about the dam or sires temperment?

OF COURSE i expect a good breeder to tell me the exact temperment of their dam ore sire

and who the **** is going to breed a fear aggressive dog? other than backyard breeders or crappy breeders that have no clue what they are doing?

we are talking real breeders here..

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
we are talking real breeders here..
How do you know if the breeder is 'real'? If the 'real' breeder is not going to breed a bad temperamented dog then what is the purpose of 'how's your dog in public?' question? Do your homework, ask meaningful questions, and I quarantee that you'll start wishing the breeder finally stops talking about his or her dogs and lets you off the phone :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a real breeder usually has a reputation and is talked about on forums and has previous buyers

how is the dog in public? is not always a bad question some ppd pr police dog breeders breed really sharp dogs that dont like strangers not all their dogs will be perfect some can have flaws ...v YOu will see some police dogs walking with hannible lecter type masks i am sure some of them came from good breeders.

i am sure any litter has the potential to have a puppy with flaws

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but FYI i have not asked the how is the dog in public question yet it just came to my mind right now lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.