German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeders, do you take your puppies to the vet before 8 weeks? Why/why not?

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
first check and vaccines between 7 and 8 weeks so that it is on board before they go to their new homes....health check by vet at this time to confirm nothing wrong, and testicle status...which is noted in the puppy litter record by puppy name/color..I had one litter with a couple with rear dewclaws - they went at 3 days to get them snipped off...pups went in the back door directly to surgery and were never put on any surface other than the basket in which they were transported. That is standard procedure at this particular clinic....babies never see the waiting room or standard exam rooms.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Between 7-8 weeks for a health check, testicle check and their microchip. They are carried right to the room. I had one pup with a rear dew claw and she was carried in the back door at 3 days, held and never touched any surface.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just curious, why don't you do your own dew claws? Or is it just the rear that you don't do? (I just realized I haven't seen a newborn pup since I was ~5 yrs old!)

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
Squeamish :) :)

Lee

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
By the by, dewclaws are left on the front. Occasionally, some GSDs will be born with dewclaws on the back and these are the ones that are normally removed. My pup was one of those.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ok. I was somewhat surprised my friend does hers b/c she's ordinarily so soft with her dogs. Djibouti & Phoenix have their front dewclaws but I wasn't sure if breeders routinely leave those or not. I *think* my friend removes the front ones (I'm assuming the IWs don't ordinarily have rear dewclaws) but I'm not sure. I know she's had some spirited discussions with other breeders & afficianadoes as to which is preferable. Some opt for natural. She's afraid they'll rip. I'm (blush) largely indifferent. Most of mine have had front dewclaws & never had a problem. At least one didn't & no problems there either.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my question was more along the lines of...do puppies HAVE to be checked by a vet before they go home? I've met some breeders that do, others that don't. The latter are very experienced, do the worming, vaccines, and microchips themselves (don't remove front dew claws) and would take any problematic puppy to the vet, but feel an animal hospital is probably the last place they want to take a puppy that age unless there is a concern. I was just thinking about it today....and I couldn't decide whether I care that they are seen by a vet as long as all the important stuff is done and their health and development has been monitored. Two puppies I've had I was asked to take to my vet within 72 hours anyway so that I was satisfied with the purchase (so the buyer can't insist that a sick puppy at 10 weeks old was all the breeder's fault or something like that). I almost prefer to take them myself, since I can vouch for the cleanliness of my vet and me carrying the puppy in and out.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
My Crested puppies get their first vet visit around 2-3 weeks of age. I take in stool samples and bring mom and pups to visit. The techs and the vets LOVE to play with and handle them and the pups learn that vet visits can be FUN!

After that I try to get them to the vet every week - again, just to visit. My puppies are not vaccinated (personal choice) so they only go for socializing (unless someone got sick).

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
I do my own vaccinating and do fecals and worm if necessary (don't like running poisons through my dogs/puppies if not needed). I could do my own microchips, but just haven't on the last couple of litters. I do feel that having a vet go over the puppy, listening for murmurs, etc, is the right thing to do before sending them off to their new home. My vet is also better at feeling for testicles than I am. Some of the boys are very obvious, but I have had a couple where I just wasn't sure. If shipping one has no choice but to get a vet check.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I worm mine, but I take them to the vet at 7 weeks for an exam. They listen to hearts, check for testicles, overall condition and provide the first set of shots.

I want to be able to monitor them after the first set of shots for a couple of days before they go to their new home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts