German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across some breeders' websites that have stud dog's listed as their own when I know for sure they don't own them. It's obviously to promote puppy sales. For the people who actually do own the dog and the public, it's fraud. Saying you have puppy by so and so is one thing, but listing a dog as belonging to that kennel when he is not owned by them is another. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Breeders often show dogs they have used for breeding on their sites...nothing wrong with that - I have a page for a male I do not own, but his owner is clearly stated on the page. Some people do not go into detail, but consider that "everyone" knows they just used the dog for stud or have a pup from him.

Lee

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I see stud dogs on breeders site that I know they don't own...no issues. I like seeing what stud they are using with a pedigree link and picture. Some will say owned by XX, some don't which is fine.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Are you sure they're claiming to own them? Or just that they use them? It's not uncommon for breeders to go outside of their own kennel to find a suitable mate for their bitches. Actually, I'd say it's more common for them to find an outside stud than use one of their own.

I'd personally rather see a breeder that goes outside of their own kennel to find a suitable male, because a breeder who thinks that all of their males/females will be a perfect pairing isn't the best breeder, IMO.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
The term stud dog...simply means....dog used for "semen".
Unless someone states that the stud dog is owned by them.....it is just common practice to "exhibit" the stud dog that a breeder has used for breeding....whether owned by them or not.
I've used stud dogs from other kennels both here and Germany...I would never think twice about "exhibiting" their photo on my website or litter advertisement.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I've come across some breeders' websites that have stud dog's listed as their own when I know for sure they don't own them. It's obviously to promote puppy sales. For the people who actually do own the dog and the public, it's fraud. Saying you have puppy by so and so is one thing, but listing a dog as belonging to that kennel when he is not owned by them is another. Has anyone else noticed this?
That is what the OP is saying.

Acknowledges that you can say you have a puppy by so and so, but saying that the dog is your kennel's dog is another idea altogether.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Would you mind PM'ing me an example of of a breeder listing studs as their own?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I wonder if they are really listed as such or of the OP assumes it. As already stated breeders do and should post breedings whether they own the stud or not. Can you image purchasing a puppy in which only the dam is listed? Exactly.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I know a stud owner who bred a bitch whose owner did exactly this. She put the dog on her website as her own. It was not appreciated by the stud owner, and she asked her to remove him from her site, which she did after a while.

I think that if you do not own the dog, then it costs NOTHING to list owned by _______ under his picture.

I too think it is good to use outside studs, there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

The reasons to list a dog as your own that is not, is to gain respect for owning such a dog, or to gain stud business for your own dogs. You can tell people who call, "Blitz" is currently unavailable, but I have "Fido" here with similar lines, etc, etc.

Frankly, I think it is unethical to list a stud without listing the stud's owner with him. However, if you have a dog, whose pedigree you are showing, and that dog is closely related, putting the dog's photo in the picture pedigree, that's not a problem.

The situation I was referring to had a page for each of their males and listed my friend's dog as one of their males. Since I bred to this same dog, I had my puppy buyers calling me and asking me if my friend sold her dog. That should never happen.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have seen this practice done before although you can go to my litter page and see our breeding's in which I have listed who owns the stud under their picture had I bred out of kennel. I think this is a practice of most breeders out there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm speaking specifically of a breeder stating "current stud dogs" and a whole list of dog's which they have never owned. It's misleading at the least and deceitful as Seltzer said, they are claiming to own dog's they don't when people call.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
current stud dogs can still mean males currently or planned for future litters , no matter where they were or who owned them
now if they were making arrangements that provided stud services , and they did not own the male , that would be a different matter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
current stud dogs can still mean males currently or planned for future litters , no matter where they were or who owned them
now if they were making arrangements that provided stud services , and they did not own the male , that would be a different matter.
I get what you're saying, but I repeat: claiming to own dog's they don't when people call; People calling to inquire about stud service with a certain dog, and people calling about upcoming litters from a certain dog. Those dog's don't live there and have never been owned by them, but it's an effective way of funneling business meant for the actual owners of those dogs to the deceiver to give them a shot at selling their pups or stud services before they find the actual owners. That's what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I get what you're saying, but I repeat: claiming to own dog's they don't when people call; People calling to inquire about stud service with a certain dog, and people calling about upcoming litters from a certain dog. Those dog's don't live there and have never been owned by them, but it's an effective way of funneling business meant for the actual owners of those dogs to the deceiver to give them a shot at selling their pups or stud services before they find the actual owners. That's what I'm talking about.
If they are doing this the whole situation is just werid and hopefully a prospective buyer would feel the sameway.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The breeder I bought Frank from had a situation last summer that she posted on her facebook page, That another breeder was saying on their website that they owned and used one of my breeder's studs. When they never had, owned or used him, I know my breeder was able to get them to take her stud off the website. She never did post the other breeders name though.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I think that there is a difference between the terms "our current studs" and "our males". I have never considered the term "stud" to mean that the breeder owns that dog. In my opinion, it is more common for a good, reputable breeder to ship either the bitch or frozen semen than to own both the bitch and stud dogs. I don't think it's unclear or a "marketing ploy" at all. That's just how many breeders work. Did the site actually say "studs owned by us" or just "stud dogs." Unless they specified that they own the dog, then I would think that it is common knowledge that the dog isn't "owned" by that breeder.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts