German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a puppy a month ago from a breeder in Los Angeles. The pup got very sick a few days later and we brought her to an emergency hospital. After almost $2000 later, the vet and ultra sound tech informed us the dog had malformed/ barely functioning kidneys and would have issues forever. The breeder said said that she would take her to her vet, she never did and said the dog was fine and is now re-selling the dog.

Anyways, the breeder agreed to take her back and wrote me a check and asked me to hold it for a week. She kept texing me saying there would be money in the account and I could cash it in a few days, then always gave an excuse that it wouldn't clear. Well, a month later she is ignoring me and I have a worthless check.

She is a total scam artist, sad thing is, when you google Los Angeles German Shepherd Breeders, she comes up at the top of the list. I feel bad for others that get scammed by her. Now I am out a dog, out thousands of dollars, and she is re-selling a sick dog to an unknowing buyer.

Any advise on what to do? I hate to have to pay my attorney to fight this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's horrible. A good lawyer....

Before I got my Kaos I was going to get another pup from one of Kaos breeders other litters. When he turned 8 weeks she contacted me and said I would like to hold on to him another week. Said he wasn't gaining weight like his litter mates (forget exactly what was said). Got an e-mail a week later saying I can't sell you that pup. He has kidney problems that will trouble him his whole life. I can't sell him to you. She then said I feel so bad you have been waiting 8 months for a male pup. She then said she was getting/sharing 4 import pups with another breeder. They were $400 more. Let me have what became my Kaos for the other pups original price. I had only put down a deposit. Could have waited for another litter. refund or the import.....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Check with your police. If you have a check you should be able to have some process like a certified letter, then court and get a judgement no laywers.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Deposit the check. When it comes back with insufficient funds, call a lawyer. It is illegal to write a check knowing there are not funds to cover it. Save all of your vet bills, get copies if the medical records. Screen capture the sick puppy page on her website, to prove she is doing it.

Call the better business bureau and contact the states attorney about Lemon Laws.

If she is a member of the parent club, call them and report it.

Don't let it go.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Most of the time, if you accept a postdated check, or accept a check knowing there are not funds to cover it.... you have no recourse.
It is not the same as taking a check with the assumption that it is good.
"Hold Checks" are not often held up in court (at least where I live).

Now... ripoffreport.com, and other places that allow you to tell your story.... those would be very good to post on.

(this is not the forum for that, though:) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know the check was bad at the time she gave it to us. She informed me after giving us the check that we needed to hold it.

I also just finished a ripoff report for her about 10 minutes ago!

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
Lawyer. Small claims court.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Um, did you start another thread about this a couple/three weeks ago?...A woman selling puppies as a breeder, and reselling sick puppy w/kidney issues...but she isn't the breeder....umm, trying to remember, the poster said the woman said actual breeder was on vacation, the poster got ahold of actual breeder and the story was a lie, and the woman actually owes the breeder money for the pups that she is brokering...it's on this forum somewhere, if wasn't you:(

I have no idea which forum it's in - Health? Breeders? General?

Does anybody else remember this? California, same thing - top of list of google search

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is me! The check was blank in the pay to field and when the other breeder said she wouldn't take it for one of her pups (because the breeder we bought the pup from owes her money), I asked if I could cash the check myself. She said yes but there was no money and there would be very soon, several times! Now she is just ignoring me. It's been a month now! I am tired of being the nice guy!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You should fight it. People like this will NEVER stop until people start fighting back.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What is the pup's name? Is she up on the website now?

I can tell you the only 2 older female pups I see for sale on the website are both marked as perfectly healthy, which obviously is NOT true for the female you returned. I would report that along with all vet records.

·
Registered
297 Posts
California has a puppy 'lemon law'. It will probably still require a lawyer, I would assume, but the law will be behind you. Google it, it's a very interesting law, if I remember correctly the breeder must refund 150% of puppy price if the puppy becomes ill within 30 days. I don't remember what all it entails but you should be able to find it easy with a google search, and it may help in your situation. Good Luck, sorry to hear about the puppy:(

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I think you are screwed with the check. You should never agree to hold a check.

You might be able to do something with the lemon law in your state. Document everything, and take her to small claims court. Or get a lawyer and go after her.

Be careful though. Here we do not allow breeder bashing. I do not think the people who own this site can actually verify the stories of all the parties, and simply do not allow it. So be careful how you identify your breeder. You can give the info to individuals who want it through PM, but not on the open board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts