German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just starting my search for a male pup from Fero free lines.
I am only interested in looking at pups from breeders that actually handle their own dogs, do health testing & training/titling of some type.
While it would be great to stay within the Great Lakes area, I am willing to check out breeders elsewhere.
Pup needs to have high drives, but still have a balanced temperament. I'm not looking for an edgy/civil dog, but a strong personality is fine.
My personal preference is for a slightly smaller, but still correct dog.
Color is not important.

I know there are responsible breeders with very nice dogs here, so figured this is a good place to start :)

Feel free to pm me if you'd prefer.

ETA: Just wanted to clarify that I don't think having Fero in a pedigree is a bad thing, but it's just not what I'm looking for at this time. Don't want to give anyone the wrong impression :)

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
No pups right now....but maybe by end of summer I am hoping!

I have two female lines....one has Fero, one does not....it is getting harder and harder to not backmass on Fero with my Ufo daughters line....and harder and harder to keep the other one Fero free.

I have two young males out being titled right now who are Fero and Mink free - one is in partnership with Leesa "G-burg" and is very very promising ....and the other is training for HGH....also two females from the same litter - Kira, with partner Meghan "phgsd" and the other with the co-owner of Hexe - the Ufo granddaughter who has Fero...

I also have another Ufo granddaughter who is Fero/Mink free, Bengal - who I will be breeding on her next heat....and a Xito granddaughter imported from Germany who should get titled this summer...Panther (Zibera v alten Wingertshaus)

Fero is so widespread, he is being backmassed in so many many pedigrees....so I think having access to dogs who are Fero free is a good thing - am NOT knocking him, but you have to know can come forward from him and what lines from him are better. The dogs I have with Fero always have him in fairly close combination with Xento Maineiche.

All these the young dogs are with friends - now partners - due to my severe car wreck last year...still cannot walk right...so cannot really train a dog - but did start them all, and did title their dams...

so far...all of these dogs are OFA Good and 'a' stamped - the youngsters are prelimed and x-rays being sent to Germany for 'a' stamp.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
What are you looking to do with the dog?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
way too complex to answer easily...

Lee

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lee,
I did think of you :) but I wasn't sure if you were planning any litters yet. My thoughts on Fero follow along with yours.

I don't dislike him(Fero), but since he is so common in pedigrees I am choosing not to have him in my next pup.
While being Fero free is not the only determining factor I will base my decision on, it is one that I'm not willing to compromise on so an easy place to start looking.
Once I have a short list of possible breeders/litters, I can continue my selection based on the rest of my needs & wants.

I haven't completely ruled out importing my next pup if I can't find what I'm looking for here in the states.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
what exactly is it that people want to avoid???

i know folks that would not have a dog that fero was not all over.

can someone share the secret other than he is in too many lines???

prolly a reason he is so well used?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X11,

You can do a search on the subject. Lots of info out there.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
the mystique has me fascinated

i don't think my boy has any fero so maybe i can one of the cool kids and claim fero free

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the mystique has me fascinated

i don't think my boy has any fero so maybe i can one of the cool kids and claim fero free
Insulting your fellow community members is not okay.

Research. Learn about genetic bottle necking.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
well thank you mam, got it bookmarked, apologies earlier, i get frustrated with the coded talk the ones in the know say to each other while the newbs are left scratching their heads - we all want to be better gsd people.
No problem.
I am learning, too.
And enjoying it a lot!:wild:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^ he's my dogs sire and if I'm reading it right it looks like my dog is fero free so he might have others as well. He has a litter on the ground now and a 12 week old female from a previous litter

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
No problem.
I am learning, too.
And enjoying it a lot!:wild:
haha i can't say the learning for me is all fun, the hardest part at times is listening to what people say and figuring what they are actually saying, they are not necescarily the same thing.

just gotta make sure my nextie is not another fluke - or maybe the cosmos is trying to tell me i have it all right on the end of the leash right now.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
What I am learning is that there is no perfect GSD, and desirability is in the eye of the beholder.
What may be a great dog to me would be a "meh" to somebody else.
What could be the best dog ever to somebody else would be impossible for me to handle.
The key, I think, is to enjoy what you have and manage the faults as best you can, because there's no such thing as a faultless dog.

But give me a GSD with faults any day. Still the best breed. Quirks and all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I am all for discussing the pros & cons of having/not having Fero in a pedigree, that was not my intent for this particular thread.
I am looking for input on breeders that may have a Fero free litter. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts