German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this board for a while now I can see that impressions about a breeder are made very quickly online. It's pretty interesting to see what we all take away from the sites people send links to. So with that being said...

When you visit a breeders website what information are you hoping to gain? What information do you think needs to be included to give the breeder credibility or make you take a second look? What sends up the red flags, what makes you back out quickly shaking your head?

I designed and run a website for a breeder and now will be doing a few more so I'm really interested in your answers if you have time to post them.

My primary "need" is registerd names. I hate it when they list the dogs by just the call name...it's really hard to research Killer. :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I like to see all the litters produced w/ pics), and the accomplishments they have achieved.
Of course health tests, titles and history of the dogs they are breeding~well, shoot, instead of writing it all out~ this is the best site> I think all breeders should have what this one has:
(Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan, by Wildhaus Kennels )

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I can tell you what sends up red flags for me:
breeding for BIG dogs
breeding 'off' colors, as in blue/livers
no health testing
nothing on what if anything they've produced.
no 'goal'
stupid warranties
saying a person MUST feed a certain food or warranty is void
seeing FAT dogs

Thats just a few off the top of my head

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I like to see...

- Upcoming litters with pedigree and a description of why they chose the match and what to expect with the puppies.
- Titles, accomplishments, and pedigree of their breeding stock
- Titles and other accomplishments of the dogs they have bred.
- Description of how they raise the puppies
- Pictures of where the pups are whelped and raised
- Lots of pictures

Basically, I want to see that the breeder's dogs are pets as well as breeding stock, that they are titled, and that their offspring are doing something.

Added- I agree with Jane. Chris has the best website I have seen and I love that she keeps it up to date! She already has her puppies up that were born last night.
-

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I like to see the names, titles, pedigree (or I look up the dog on PDB), scores, maybe some videos if it's a dog I haven't seen personally. I'm primarily interested in the dogs themselves, I'm not really looking for references/"happy customers" or photo albums of sold puppies. Contract and terms of sale are important too but not as important initially as the dogs themselves. I also like to see a bit about the breeder and what they have accomplished with their dogs.

Although as long as a breeder is willing to provide this information they don't even necessarily need a web site at all. Earlier, I committed to buying a puppy from a breeder with no web site (pregnancy did not take).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Among MANY other things....Pricing! I don't feel as though I should have to contact someone just to inquire on pricing....it should be clearly stated on the site IMHO. If i'm shopping around it's nice to be able to see if a breeder I may be interested in is way out of my budget and move on right off the bat.

·
Registered
604 Posts
As far as the technical aspects of the website, most developers today are WAY too infatuated with mouseovers. If I'm maneuvering the mouse to click on a link, I don't want three other little popup windows (that won't go away until I click on them) to appear.

Also, animated advertising that fills up 1/3 of the screen, and again won't go away until I click on some almost nonexistent "close" box.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
As far as the technical aspects of the website, most developers today are WAY too infatuated with mouseovers. If I'm maneuvering the mouse to click on a link, I don't want three other little popup windows (that won't go away until I click on them) to appear.

Also, animated advertising that fills up 1/3 of the screen, and again won't go away until I click on some almost nonexistent "close" box.
Agreed! Music on a website is a big no-no too in my book.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Among MANY other things....Pricing! I don't feel as though I should have to contact someone just to inquire on pricing....it should be clearly stated on the site IMHO. If i'm shopping around it's nice to be able to see if a breeder I may be interested in is way out of my budget and move on right off the bat.
When the price is listed under a picture of the dog it appears to me that the breeder/owner sees that animal as just another commodity, available to whoever comes up with the money. Quite frankly, the dog you really want might not be available to you at any price. Now how is the breeder supposed to tell you that over the web? I know, "Our puppies are available at prices ranging from free to an experienced co-owner who will title the dog and give us the breeding rights, to $1,000,000 for somebody we would never sell a dog." Maybe not.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I see a lot of posts saying what people want to see in a breeder (dogs live in the house, have such and such titles, etc...), but to it seems to me that's a different question than what should be shown on a website, which is the purpose of this topic. The website should present the information, but what that information is and says about the breeder is going to vary widely.

An absolute MUST for me is registered names of the dogs. Sure, go ahead and list the call name too, but not only a call name. The number of websites that just refer to "Rover" and "Fido" amaze me. Without the registered name, there is absolutely no way to do independent research into the dog.

Any health testing, titles, etc.. that the dog has. And spell them out. Don't just say "hips checked", specify which organization they are certified through and what the rating is. Don't just say "titled in obedience", say what the title is.

Pedigrees of the dogs.

Granted, some of this like OFAs and pedigree can often be researched elsewhere if the registered name is listed, but I don't feel someone should have to go get that info elsewhere. While I think verifying things like OFAs is a good idea, one shouldn't have to google their brains out to find out such basic information. It should be presented on the website.

Photos of the dogs. And not just head shots or pics of the dogs cuddling with the kids or playing ball. Sure, those are nice, but they typically don't give a clear picture of the dog's structure, expression, pigment, etc... If only a few photos are posted, they should be ones that allow people to get an impression of those things about the dog. The go ahead and add training or playing or around the house photos on top of that, but don't make the fluffy photos the only photos.

Descriptions of the dogs mental and physical characteristics and why they are being used as breeding stock.

Information about the breeder's history in the breed, what they've done in the breed (other than just breed) and their breeding goals.

Information about past litters. Not just list of sire/dam, birth date, pedigree (though I want to see those too), but I also want to see what titles and health screenings and other accomplishments dogs from those previous litters have attained. And also get an idea of percentage of dogs bred by the breeder who have achieved something, the types of homes the breeder's dogs typically go to, etc... I also like to see photos of dogs from previous litters, but again am mainly interested in ones that show me what those dogs look like rather than solely personality shots. Seeing what a dog and breeder have produced in the past is important and this helps with that.

Price, or at least price range.

Contract and guarantee, either the full thing or a list of the pertinent parts.

Easy to find contact information. Nothing is more annoying than having to hunt high and low to find phone number or email address tucked away in the corner somewhere.

Sure, a lot of this can be found through talking with the breeder and doesn't need to be listed, but since websites serve in many cases to help sort out who is worth contacting for more information and who isn't, and getting some of the basics like OFAs and such out of the way up front so time spent talking with the breeder can focus on other things, I think the more info the better.

Things I have no use for:
The annoying graphics, music, follow you're mouse all over pop up windows and most other techie stuff. I also hate those sites where when I go to the website I have to deal with a song and dance routine and then find the "enter" button somewhere to get to the actual website. Just have the site open to the real site. Years ago when it was first found on the internet it was nifty. Now it's overdone to the point of annoying. Keep it simple.

Pages that aren't set to correct dimensions and have me scrolling all over the place to get through the page.

Lots of clutter with photos and text blocks all over the place, often in seemingly random and purposeless order.

Testimonials. I put absolutely no stock in these whatsoever and consider them a waste of bandwidth. They might not even be real, but even if they are they're going to be carefully reviewed and screened and possibly edited before making the website. So they're far from an objective analysis, and thus IMO misleading at worst and useless at best. I'd rather just see the basic info on what past pups from the breeder are doing now, and then if I do move forward with that person would expect a list of references for past customers where I can contact them directly to get the full scoop on their dog.

As far as frequency of updating, that's something that I don't see as really important. Sure, I wouldn't spend much time on a website that is years out of date, but that's mainly because it won't give me the information I'm looking for not because I think it reflects badly on the breeder himself or his dogs. Nor do I see up to the minute updating as indicating anything relevant about the breeder in terms of their ability to breed good dogs.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What about this breeder. She has no pups avalible yet. Because she said she wants to title and OFA the ones she has before she breeds them. I looked here before I found Bella. But would love to get a male from her in 2 or 3 yrs. Prestige K9 - Oklahoma Breeder of German Shepherds - Home :).

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Want to see:
-Breeding dogs with a good clean, well-groomed side photo. Full registered names along with titles and health clearances.
-Some sort of statement about what they're breeding and why
-Upcoming litters with sire, dam, and approximate dates
-Price range
-Clear and easy contact info.

Nice to see:
-Past litters and their accomplishments
- Mini-bio about each dog
- On upcoming breedings, why they selected these 2 specific dogs and what they're expecting
- How pups are raised and socialized, what they're fed, etc.
- Contract and guarantee

Do NOT want:
-Music
-ANY badmouthing of other breeds, other breeders, other lines, etc. I will not look twice at a breeder that says something like "Showline dogs don't have good nerves," or "Working line dogs don't make good pets." Talk about what YOU are producing.
-Politics. Why in the world would you put your political views on a dog website?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I like being able to see all of the dogs they use in their breeding program, along with dogs that have been retired, their accomplishments, health certifications, and a short paragraph about their temperament is always a plus.

I also like to know the price range, because if I don't know what I'd be expecting to pay, I wouldn't want to inquire about a litter, given I wouldn't know if it was in my price range. Example, if their dogs are $2,500 and the most I'd pay is $1,800, my inquiring about a litter or upcoming litter would be a waste of both my time and the breeder's time.

The presentation of the site itself doesn't matter to me, however, the easier it is to maneuver around, the better. But just because someone has a website that's not as good as someone else's doesn't mean their dogs are lower quality.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I don't pay that much attention to webistes since if I were to go to a breeder it would be more due to word of mouth. When I do look, I like simple sites that show me photos of well groomed and clean dogs stacked and working. I want to see pedigrees, health clearances, titles (if any) and, especially in the case of males at stud, videos. Personally I don't care about prices being listed. If I am interested than I am able to ask. Same with the contracts, etc. I started in GSD and horses long before the internet when one had to actually ask questions and things were not just handed to them. We had to spend our time doing real research. :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I like Chris Wild's website, myself. :D (And I'm not just saying that because I designed the layout!) I think their website has all the useful and necessary information that I would look for on a breeder's website, and it's all easy to find, too. I don't have to go looking for contact information, or pedigree and title information on the dogs, or anything.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Chris Wild's site is an awesome example. Simple to navigate, has everything there I'd like to see, has good pics of the parents and prodigy, etc.

That's one thing I hate - crappy pics. I wouldn't turn a breeder down because of bad photos, but I just can't stand looking at poor quality pics.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Chris(AbbyK9), you did a wonderful job with it! :thumbup:
I agree totally...it is really easy to navigate. I find the G litter pup pic's so easily :) :blush:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I agree, maybe that's why I check the website monthly... okay, weekly... okay twice per week... okay.... maybe a little more than that... lol.

I think you should really add a "video" section though, that way potential owners/inquirerers(sp?) can view, especially if they are too far away to pop in for a visit.. oh, say like in Waterloo, ON..... lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts