German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our puppy yesterday he is 8 weeks old and the breeder had him on raw food I bought 3 rolls from her to switch him over but am now a little confused on which food to switch him over to I would love to keep him on the raw food but unfortunately we have 4 kids and 2 family members that are immune compromised so being around raw is not the best idea

We went to the pet store to pick up of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy but the pet store man said that would be way too high in protein for a GSD and not to feed him that as he will end up having a lot of issues with his digestive system around 1 year old and will have coat problems his suggestion was put him on Royal Canin German Shepheard Puppy however I am not fond of this brand as the 1st ingredient is chicken meal which is not a good sign. He said if we did go with that brand to just put him on the large breed puppy which has 28% protein so 1% less than the Royal Canin however I wanted to try him on the wilderness as I felt this was closer to what he is currently earing and it was grain free and the one I bought Large Breed Puppy is chicken with brown rice.

What do you think should I stay on the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy or switch him to blue buffalo wilderness puppy or should I try a whole different brand together.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
BB is a good kibble, see how he does on it. You'll be able to tell at about a week how he's handling it judging his overall health. Energy, coat, poop, etc

As for the RC - good for you for doing what you felt was right even when pressured. RC is far overpriced for it's quality

·
Super Moderator
32,372 Posts
I have no experience with either brand, but of the two I'd pick the BB over RC. I also wanted to mention that there's nothing wrong with chicken meal as an ingredient. It's a named protein (chicken vs "poultry"), it's not "chicken by-product meal" (which could be any leftover part of the chicken), and "meal" simply means that the water is removed. Whole chicken is is about 70% water, chicken meal is only about 10% water, so it's much more protein dense. Here's a good article about meals: The Surprising Secret About Dog Food

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ill keep him on the BB for now and see how he does but should I keep him on the large breed puppy or the BB wilderness which is higher in protein 36%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts