German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I need some advice on what to do when a breeder switches the puppy and gives a different puppy..who can I talk with??
Thank you...

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Hello:

I need some advice on what to do when a breeder switches the puppy and gives a different puppy..who can I talk with??
Thank you...
Why did the breeder switch pups on you? I think that would be the first question I would ask. As the pup aged, it could have displayed some behaviors the breeder didn’t feel would fit with your lifestyle. It could have come down to medical issues.

So, did the breeder tell you why she/he switched the pup? Is it a big switch? Did you chose the pup, or did the breeder chose for you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I didn't know until a few days before my flight which pup was mine... Could be the pups temperament didn't suit your needs. More information from you will help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That definitely isn't right, you paid for that puppy, it wasn't her call to switch them out, she should have given you the choice, and been up front about it! You could take her to court. What about the puppy that you have now? Are you going to keep it? Even if you do keep it, this lady shouldn't be allowed to get away with this!? I wonder how many times she has done this to other people? Might be time for her to get shut down! Can you please post a picture of the one you wanted and the one that you got?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
That definitely isn't right, you paid for that puppy, it wasn't her call to switch them out, she should have given you the choice, and been up front about it! You could take her to court. What about the puppy that you have now? Are you going to keep it? Even if you do keep it, this lady shouldn't be allowed to get away with this!? I wonder how many times she has done this to other people? Might be time for her to get shut down! Can you please post a picture of the one you wanted and the one that you got?
This is normal for quality breeders. The breeder chooses the pup that beat fits your lifestyle, and if the pup that was chosen shows signs later down the line that cause the pup to no longer be a good fit (temperament, drive, etc), they will, and should, switch it with a puppy that will fit the purchasers needs. It’s not something she should be sued over.

Do you even have the pup yet? If not, and you’re so unhappy with the switch, ask to be refunded the deposit, and chose a different litter or breeder.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Not enough information at all to get outraged over.

Did the breeder choose pups for placements or did you pick and how did you pick??? from personal interaction or a photo?

Frankly - I have rarely allowed buyers to "pick" their pup...I chose who goes where. The commitment of a specific pup to a specific home is never written in stone until the pups are ready to leave. In one litter, I had a buyer who was very anxious for a commitment of which puppy....I told her my thoughts....then 2 weeks later, when I finalized my choices, and went with a different pup the buyer was irate adn almost accusatory. The pups change and change again .....the original way I was thinking of was so different 2 weeks later.....the buyer got a super family pup, drive and biddablity to train and the other pup I had thought of is a powerhouse working girl...way more than the family needed or would have been happy with.

I also had a buyer in that same litter who must have really researched the sport and expressed a strong commitment to training and titling....I was down to one pup at that point and 2 buyers. I sold this one the pup, and sent the other to a litter owned by someone I knew. I gave the person a great working prospect....he has never even done as much as a Petsmart class....it was a calculated effort to get "the best" pup.....the other home was great, and the pup she got has had health issues....the super nice pup was neutered way too early and has no training....

So it works both ways....most breeders want their buyers to be happy and suceed in their goals.....so perhaps just think about th esituation from a different perspecitive.

Lee

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
The first person you should talk to is the breeder.

Reputable breeders rarely allow buyers to pick the puppies. They know their puppies best and place them according to what the buyer is looking for. Both of my puppies were handed to me by the breeders when I got there. I had no idea which one was mine. I prefer it that way. Tell the breeder what you want, let them choose the best one for you.

Zero reason to be outraged and sue anyone or shut anyone down.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Another possibility is that from the moment you first saw your pup until now, colors change. So maybe you did get the same pup, just didn't realize the change. My pup certainly didn't look the same from the first time I saw it at 4 weeks old until I picked him up at 8 weeks.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
As many others have already mentioned, most quality breeders pick the puppy for the buyer. I found out what puppy was mine a couple days before I picked them up or had them shipped. I can tell you that based on the pictures and videos three of my dogs where dogs that I didn't want in their litters. I can also tell you that I wouldn't trade those dogs for the world. The breeders knew their puppies and my abilities better than me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
the OP doesn't appear to have been around since starting this thread............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts