German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a few breeders in mind but was interested in hearing other people's suggestions as well. I am looking for a breeder that has a good socialization program...most seem to expose the pups to household noises, kids, maybe cats and a car ride..but I was hoping to find one that does a bit more...perhaps early neuro stimulation, loud non household sounds, small crowds, traffic, etc (I was also hoping to find a breeder that lets the pups go a bit later than the usual 8 weeks). I am willing to ship so location isn't too much of an issue.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
May I ask why you want one to go home later?

Im not sure of breeders that do sound stimulation like you mention. But I do strongly believe a sound, well bred pup is going to be stable and adapt very well to new stimuli introduced in the proper manner. Thats also why I like them going home younger vs older. 6-12 weeks is the most crucial learning stage. I prefer the majority of that time spent with ME so I can control what's trained and introduced in that time period.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May I ask why you want one to go home later?

Im not sure of breeders that do sound stimulation like you mention. But I do strongly believe a sound, well bred pup is going to be stable and adapt very well to new stimuli introduced in the proper manner. Thats also why I like them going home younger vs older. 6-12 weeks is the most crucial learning stage. I prefer the majority of that time spent with ME so I can control what's trained and introduced in that time period.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The pup will likely have to be flown in because I'm not entirely happy with the breeders that are available in my area...I personally don't feel they should fly during the fear stage. Also, I think that a puppy that has stayed with the little a bit longer 9-10 weeks with the litter/dam has learnt better bite inhibition that I can continue working on than some 8 week old pups. And I have found a couple breeders that do sound desensitization but was hoping for other people's input.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I'm posting a breeders program that does great early puppyhood development.

After 8 weeks, it is sometimes best to separate pups/they've gotten the skills to know what bite inhibition is by then. Most owners will have picked up the other littermates, so there may be nobody left to learn from(other than the older dogs)
If they are sound/stable puppies, there should be no problem shipping them out around 9-10 weeks.

The breeder I'm linking doesn't breed often, I'm just posting this as an example of excellent early puppy raising! (Wildhaus Kennels Raising Working German Shepherd Puppies)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
8 week puppies fly all the time, they should not be scarred for life even if it's not the most fun experience. If socialization is really important to you, I would get the puppy at 8 weeks and do it yourself. There's no way any breeder could socialize puppies the amount that I socialize mine if they are having to do an entire litter. I take my puppies to at least one new place every single day for the first several weeks I have them and often spend hours on and off throughout the day working on socialization, basic training, and acclimating the puppy to living in my house/pack and the way we travel.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I should have sent my puppy to you, Liesje! I could have picked it up in 6 months or so! ;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I've had puppies shipped at 8 weeks, my last one was on a plane for almost 12 hours came out happy as a clam, and no crate accidents either:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm posting a breeders program that does great early puppyhood development.

After 8 weeks, it is sometimes best to separate pups/they've gotten the skills to know what bite inhibition is by then. Most owners will have picked up the other littermates, so there may be nobody left to learn from(other than the older dogs)
If they are sound/stable puppies, there should be no problem shipping them out around 9-10 weeks.

The breeder I'm linking doesn't breed often, I'm just posting this as an example of excellent early puppy raising! (Wildhaus Kennels Raising Working German Shepherd Puppies)
Actually that was one of the breeders I was very interested in... :)

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Many breeders train puppies to poop outside, to sit, and to come, and everything you might start training in home environment. 8 months is too early to train for rocket or traffic sound in order to prevent possible phobia, you do it at three months. Sounds and noises put a great stress on any puppy, on nervous by nature GSD in particular. But don't you worry, your pups would stand it if it is for a short while. They would feel lonely first of all. In fact any sound distraction could be even good at that moment when they just lost their mother. I'd rather bother about their stomach, which can turn weak with a loose stool - as a result of possible separation anxiety.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Many breeders train puppies to poop outside, to sit, and to come, and everything you might start training in home environment. 8 months is too early to train for rocket or traffic sound in order to prevent possible phobia, you do it at three months. Sounds and noises put a great stress on any puppy, on nervous by nature GSD in particular. But don't you worry, your pups would stand it if it is for a short while. They would feel lonely first of all. In fact any sound distraction could be even good at that moment when they just lost their mother. I'd rather bother about their stomach, which can turn weak with a loose stool - as a result of possible separation anxiety.
Say what?? Where do you get your information from?

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Say what?? Where do you get your information from?
There's no reason to be so distrustful. If we start demanding proof of provided information with everything in this Forum, we will end with quoting somebody else's words, just wasting our time for searching. From my own experience, I have tried finding information in Google, reading various vet articles on the subject. My Lucy suffered from separation anxiety which dragged her into phobia later when she was five. She cannot be trained many things now because of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts