German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am looking to get a german shepherd at least two years from now as a sport and service work prospect. i have a few breeders in mind already but i’m always looking for more recommendations and i’m curious to see what people on here will say!

i live on the east coast of the continental united states and am willing to travel anywhere within the country however i do not want to ship a dog from overseas, so please only recommend breeders within the US.

here are some criteria i have:
-i am open to working or show line dogs, i’m not picky
-id like an AKC registered dog
-the breeder MUST OFA test their dogs and only breed dogs with clear/good ratings
-i would very much prefer the breeder to use puppy culture, however it is not necessary
-the breeder MUST be actively showing, competing, or working their dogs. i’m not looking for a pet
-i would prefer a breeder that temperament tests, however this is not necessary
-i would like a breeder that breeds medium to high drive dogs, preferably more on the medium side
-i would love it if you guys can find breeders who have bred successful service dogs in the past, but this is not necessary

that’s all i can currently think of, thanks for reading and i look forward to seeing any recommendations you guys may have for me :)

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Puppy culture was created for a different type of dog, and is not commonly used among GSD breeders. I don’t know of any who use it. The breed it is most commonly used for has a fighting problem and it’s not clear it does anything useful for the puppies they can’t get from normal handling. Some of their methods sound good and are probably standard puppy handling but it also forces breeders to use a very specific feeding method and is very restrictive.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppy culture was created for a different type of dog, and is not commonly used among GSD breeders. I don’t know of any who use it. The breed it is most commonly used for has a fighting problem and it’s not clear it does anything useful for the puppies they can’t get from normal handling. Some of their methods sound good and are probably standard puppy handling but it also forces breeders to use a very specific feeding method and is very restrictive.
odd because i’ve found several GSD breeders that use puppy culture, primarily working line breeders. i have personally seen fantastic results from puppy culture and notice a solid difference in the engagement of puppies that have been raised with it vs puppies that haven’t. i would just prefer my dog to be raised with the use of puppy culture. i’m curious though, what exactly is the breed it’s most commonly used for?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You know, I’ve never heard of this puppy culture thing. I’m now curious what it is. None of the shepherd breeders I’ve ever talked to have mentioned it, so I’d assume they don’t do it and it’s not common.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
We aren’t allowed to discuss that breed here. I’m sorry.

You know, I’ve never heard of this puppy culture thing. I’m now curious what it is. None of the shepherd breeders I’ve ever talked to have mentioned it, so I’d assume they don’t do it and it’s not common.

This breeder ties Puppy culture in with Natural Rearing. There are a lot of good ideas but anything this rigid is impractical for most people.

·
Super Moderator
6,031 Posts
What??? Scarlet’s litter was raised using Puppy Culture.

·
Super Moderator
6,031 Posts
Jane Killion, who developed Puppy Culture, shows and breeds Bull Terriers. She also has a good training book called When Pigs Fly. Scarlet’s breeder loaned me all the Puppy Culture DVDs so I would know what was going on with her litter, since I was so invested in it. It’s a good program. I’m not sure what the confusion is.

·
Super Moderator
6,031 Posts
Reactions: heyitsfour

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Why would you want to get a puppy with a genetic predisposition for aggression and resource guarding and raise it to discourage those traits? That seems like a dangerous practice in the hands of a novice.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you want to get a puppy with a genetic predisposition for aggression and resource guarding and raise it to discourage those traits? That seems like a dangerous practice in the hands of a novice.
i’m sorry, what? we’re talking about german shepherds here, you do know that right 😅

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Have you had shepherds before? What is your experience with dogs in general? What sports are you considering? What would the service dog be for? What breeders are you considering? Have you contacted any?

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you had shepherds before? What is your experience with dogs in general? What sports are you considering? What would the service dog be for? What breeders are you considering? Have you contacted any?
i grew up around shepherds, among other breeds, and have worked with them, as i’m currently a dog trainer focusing primarily on behavior modification. they’re a breed i've admired for years and i’m hoping to get one as my next dog. as for sports, it would be more of a hobby than anything, but i’d like to casually continue my pursuit of barn hunt, fast CAT, and dock diving, two of which i have done with my current dog. i’d prefer not to go into depth about my disabilities but the dog will be a mobility aid. don’t worry though, i am still more than capable of properly exercising high energy and driven dogs. the two breeders that are currently catching my eye the most are austerlitz shepherds and rodina straze gsd. i have yet to contact any as i won’t be getting the dog for at least another two years.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
i’m sorry, what? we’re talking about german shepherds here, you do know that right 😅
Why, yes, I do know that. Have you read the written breed standard for expected genetic behavioral traits?

Reactions: LuvShepherds

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why, yes, I do know that. Have you read the written breed standard for expected genetic behavioral traits?
i have and as far as i know no well bred german shepherd should be a genetically aggressive or possessive dog. the breed is bred to have a guard instinct but when bred, raised, and trained properly should know how to tell what an actual threat is and should not in any way be an aggressive dog. and what do you mean by “raise it to discourage those traits”. first off you have no idea how i’m going to go about raising my dog and second off who in their right mind would ever encourage aggression?? also, while this will be my first time owning a german shepherd that is truly just my own dog, i am definitely not a novice when it comes to dogs, particularly athletic, large, and driven dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,031 Posts
I think you guys need to go back and read the OP’s original post. It’s a perfectly reasonable list. Health testing, temperament testing, medium drive, a breeder that titles or does sports with their dogs. The OP would like a breeder that uses the Puppy Culture program to raise the litter. You all apparently have no clue what that entails, and I get that. My dog was raised using Puppy Culture. Lots of socialization and engagement. It has nothing to do with dangerous or aggressive dogs or breeds. At all.

·
Registered
32,005 Posts
I've never heard of puppy culture so can't comment there. But any good, experienced, breeder is going to temperament test when interacting with the puppies. They change daily! The ones I know, officially test the puppies between 7-8 weeks for drives and temperament. A good breeder will socialize the puppies with visitors and in the environment. So if puppy culture fits in that category, then you won't have a problem with the vast majority of breeders regardless of the program.

I can tell you that my male's breeder hits everything on the list, except maybe the "puppy culture". She was the kennel manager for Fidelco before they were sold.
Vom Sitz von der Hose / Olgameister.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
i have and as far as i know no well bred german shepherd should be a genetically aggressive or possessive dog. the breed is bred to have a guard instinct but when bred, raised, and trained properly should know how to tell what an actual threat is and should not in any way be an aggressive dog. and what do you mean by “raise it to discourage those traits”. first off you have no idea how i’m going to go about raising my dog and second off who in their right mind would ever encourage aggression?? also, while this will be my first time owning a german shepherd that is truly just my own dog, i am definitely not a novice when it comes to dogs, particularly athletic, large, and driven dogs.
First of all I was not talking to you or addressing your comments. I was responding to the link posted which stated the program worked to mitigate aggression and resource guarding.

No where did I say that a GSD should not be discerning. Regardless, when it does perceive a threat, it should not tuck tail and run. A well bred GSD should protect and they do that with aggression. There is a reason that GSDs are well utilized by law enforcement, the military and those seeking a home protectors.

Reactions: wolfstraum

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
Hey y'all. Could you use the reply button so we know who the heck you're talking to.

;)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts