German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are starting to actively look for a breeder within driving distance of Hampton Roads and we're very much interested in good recommendations. We're primarily looking for a healthy family pet, preferably a black and red or bicolor female, under the $1500 mark. I spend a lot of time at the barn so puppy will come out with me and be around horses and other dogs quite often. We also have 12 and 14 year old kids, the older of whom would like to participate in obedience and maybe agility with the puppy.

We've heard excellent things about vom Engels (Virginia Beach) and intend to contact them. Some of the other kennel websites that have piqued our interest are Blackthorn Kennel, Sunrise Shepherds, and vom Sander-Haus. Any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions you can provide will be extremely helpful. Thank you so very much!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
JUST IN CASE the OP isn't aware of rescue as a possibility: Virginia German Shepherd Rescue, Inc. Dogs if no interest, no problem, just like to present the option! There's four pages of dogs there. There are also 3 other rescues with GSDs in the MD/VA area. Good luck finding your match!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sunrise Shepherds (Conowingo) is where we got our Riley. I can't say enough good things. Beautiful dogs and awesome temperment.

we paid $1200.

We know the family and knew they were good people!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jean for the Rescue recommendation. If/When we are ready for dog #2 I would love to look at Rescues. For our first GSD though I'd like to purchase from a reputable breeder where we know what the sire/dam pairing is capable of procuding from a conformation and temperament perspective. My husband has had GSDs in the past but this will actually be my first dog ever (have had cats for absolutely ever!).

Appreciate the good words and gorgeous photo of your boy Jennifer. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thank you Jean for the Rescue recommendation. If/When we are ready for dog #2 I would love to look at Rescues. For our first GSD though I'd like to purchase from a reputable breeder where we know what the sire/dam pairing is capable of procuding from a conformation and temperament perspective. My husband has had GSDs in the past but this will actually be my first dog ever (have had cats for absolutely ever!).

Appreciate the good words and gorgeous photo of your boy Jennifer. :)
GIRL!!! lol but that's ok, we get that a lot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sorry about that! A friend of mine's daughter had a pony named Riley who was a he... so I made that silly assumption. My apologies :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sunrise Shepherds (Conowingo) is where we got our Riley. I can't say enough good things. Beautiful dogs and awesome temperment.

we paid $1200.

We know the family and knew they were good people!

They were at $1500 when I inquired a few months back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've gotten 3 GSD's from John at Sunrise Shepherds in Conowingo. He's got a litter available now at $1,200 I believe. My first GSD passed away from bloat a couple months back. I picked up Chief in August from John and my parents got Chief's sister out of the same litter. I get compliments wherever I go and all 3 dogs have had great temperaments.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
They were at $1500 when I inquired a few months back.
hmmm... we signed our contract the end of 2009... maybe they raised their prices in the new year. I'd still pay that for a pup from them if we ever consider another pup.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hmmm... we signed our contract the end of 2009... maybe they raised their prices in the new year. I'd still pay that for a pup from them if we ever consider another pup.
Yeah, a price change is possible. I was only in the market for a "pet" so they were way out of my budget. I liked their website, however, compared to most.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump! Anyone else?

vom Engels, Blackthorn Kennels, Sunrise Shepherds, and vom Sander-Haus are so far the breeders that we're leaning towards contacting. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Her dogs are gorgeous but from reading through her website they are probably too high-drive for our lifestyle. We do want an active dog, but not something that needs a big-time job (Schutzhund) to be happy.
Actually, not all our dogs need working homes. We place plenty of puppies in pet homes and everyone is happy. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
For those of you that purchased form Sunrise, how big are your GSDs? How are their temperaments ? And finally, what is the coloring of your GSD and who were the parents

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know these ppl personally or know anything about their reputation, but I had their kennel bookmarked to check in to as a 'potential' ...

Home - Herz Vier German Shepherds
Something I noticed when looking for breeders of GSD... This website here in the quote has the SAME exact picture as this website:

Home - Thistledown Kennels

Which one is legit? I tried emailing the guy on Home - Thistledown Kennels and got a bad email response back so don't trust this website I guess. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 6 month old puppy is from Blackthorn Kennels, and Christine is absolutely wonderful. She really listened to what I was looking for and made a wonderful match for my family. (I had just lost a dog, and she patiently answered all my e-mails and let me come spend time meeting and playing with her pups/dogs.) I can't recommend her enough. And I will also say, she's got a black sable female pup what would be living in my house RIGHT NOW is Zeke were older and I was ready for a second, lol!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Something I noticed when looking for breeders of GSD... This website here in the quote has the SAME exact picture as this website:

Home - Thistledown Kennels

Which one is legit? I tried emailing the guy on Home - Thistledown Kennels and got a bad email response back so don't trust this website I guess. Just a heads up.
Interesting ... same dogs, both male and female ... two kennel names, two websites, same people? Wonder if they have any other 'aliases'.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts