German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking for a reputable Breeder(and Trainer if possible) in the South East. We are interested in a female puppy and would prefer the West German line. I have only had labs in the past so my experience with dog breeders and trainers is somewhat limited to lab breeders and trainers.
Any references or warnings would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My wife and I are looking for a reputable Breeder(and Trainer if possible) in the South East. We are interested in a female puppy and would prefer the West German line. I have only had labs in the past so my experience with dog breeders and trainers is somewhat limited to lab breeders and trainers.
Any references or warnings would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.
Any particular designs for the dog? Describe your ideal dog in ways that may guide advice (as in not qualities universally desired like "I want him to be confident", but qualities that may fall on preferential lines). Where in the south east? SE is a big place, any trainer will need to be close enough to have frequent contact unless you're shipping the dog off.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
West German lines come in two varieties: Working line and Show lines.

I don't have any recommendations, but specifying which type you are looking for will help in narrowing down a breeder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

A little more detail.

My wife and I are looking for a dog that would be a companion to the both of us. We do not have children and live on a farm and are very active people. We want a very intelligent dog that we can take everywhere with us but also has the capacity to serve as a protection dog if necessary. We run our own retail business and we would like to have a dog that would offer a level of protection when either one of us is closing up our business late and alone.

We have only had labs in our past and while they were excellent companions they seemed to like anybody so to speak.

We both have always liked german shepherds but have always had just one dog that was part of our family. Our last lab passed away about 9 months ago and we are now trying to find the best possible German Shepherd that we can find that would be part of our family for realistically the next 10 plus years.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Could you narrow down the geographical location if it makes a difference to you? South East can be Delaware to Florida to Mississippi and everything in between. There is a lot to choose from in that part of the country both in trainers and breeders and some that are both.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
If you need a dog that will actually bite when commanded, and not bite otherwise, that's a whole different ball of wax. If you need a dog to be scary and intimidate and this deter most threats, that is easily found and trained. Do you have a preference in appearances?

The first big choice is working or show lines. There are further subtypes below that. Then decide on the timeframe and how much you wish to spend. Then folks can provide more tailored advice

·
Registered
6,015 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) I am in Alabama but as I am looking for a dog that will be an integral part of my family for the next 10 to 12 years, I am more than willing to travel pretty far for a nice dog.
Generally I am specifying the South East as if the dog Breeder/Trainer is within a 6 or 8 hour drive it would allow me to visit the kennel and see the parents of any puppies that I would be considering.
But I am open to other parts of the country and would consider flying to them if they are that good or better than anyone in the southeast.

2) As far as protection goes. I need a dog in absolute control. I own and operate a retail business and I (or my wife) need to be able to be locking up at the end of the day and have a dog by my side that would not have any problem with the customers that may be sitting on benches in front of my store or standing at the crossing 10 feet away, But in the event someone tries to grab my bag etc etc the dog would be instantly ready to defend me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
A good friend has a dog from meerhout in TX which is nearby. Very nice dog. He takes it to his work. I work the dog in protection. Nice strong dog. Easily trained

1 - 11 of 11 Posts