German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for feedback with regards to a response I received from a breeder recently. "Another ear", if you will.

Just last week, my best friend in the entire world, my 11 year old GSD Jack, had to be put to sleep. In the midst of all of this, my Wife and I are seriously considering getting another puppy.

I reached out to a breeder that lives within 2 hours of where we live. I exchanged a few emails with them and each time I asked about coming to visit their kennels. After this question was not answered, I sent one last email directly asking them if I could come out that Saturday. This question was asked on a Monday (5 days in advance). I received the following response that day (Monday):

"Hi Pat,
We are busy this weekend. Between work, kids and dogs, we tend to book up fast.
Thank you"

Am I completely overreacting about this response? I immediately took it as a red flag. Or, is this just the way it is with some breeders? I was at least expecting some kind of counter - "sorry, this weekend is bad, but how about next week"?

Thank you very much everyone,

Patrick

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I would take that as a red flag, especially if you made more than one request.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'd reply one more time and say, "Is there a time I can come see your dogs in the next few weeks?"

If no options are given, I'd look elsewhere.
Agreed. If they won't let you come out and meet the dogs and see where they come from, I'd find another breeder.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Personally, if I was a breeder I'd want to establish a little bit more of a relationship with a potential buyer than a exchanging a few emails casually before I let them come to my house.

Yes, it's a business, but they also have a life and I'm not sure I'd be clamoring to have someone I've talked to only a few times come to my house.

It could be a red flag or it could be they aren't quite sold on you, either......

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It could be a red flag or it could be they aren't quite sold on you, either......
Either way, as a buyer, I'd go elsewhere.

As a breeder or a businessperson, if you want to talk to someone more before letting them come look at your dogs, you set up a phone conversation/"interview" before the home visit or at the least email them with more questions.

So the breeder may be a great breeder, but the message being sent to the customer at this moment is "go elsewhere."

·
Registered
14,344 Posts

As a breeder or a businessperson, if you want to talk to someone more before letting them come look at your dogs, you set up a phone conversation/"interview" before the home visit or at the least email them with more questions.

So the breeder may be a great breeder, but the message being sent to the customer at this moment is "go elsewhere."
I agree!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I really appreciate it.

I guess I'm not entirely sure what I may have done wrong, but I am going to look elsewhere. I replied again simply requesting that they let me know if there is ever a good day/time for someone to pay a visit so I could meet them in person and also so I could see some of their dogs along with the environment they are raised in. Instead of offering some potential future dates, or even a flat out "you can't visit", the response was "Which puppy are you interested in? Did you want to hold one of the puppies in our current litters?". Again, not answering my question. I certainly am interested in learning more about them, but they do not seem at all interested in learning more about me - a potential home for one of their pups.

So, I'm going to move on. I have contacted another breeder in IL that I have read good things about on this site (Triton Kennels) and we are going to have a phone conversation this week and potentially a visit.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you are looking for a good reputable workingline breeder, you won't find one closer than Chicago. Triton is a good breeder and so is my breeder who has a very nice litter on the ground right now who is located fairly near Triton.

:: BILL KULLA DOG TRAINING ::

If you are interested in workingline dogs, there is a MN SchH gathering at the St Paul campus of the UofM this weekend if you would like to see some dogs in person and dogs that came from both Triton and Kulla.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

Yep, totally agree! I just was pointing out it isn't necessarily some red flag that means the puppies are swimming in their own feces :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'm pretty sure which breeder you were talking to but could you send me a PM about who it was? There just aren't any good workingline breeders around here.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, if I was a breeder I'd want to establish a little bit more of a relationship with a potential buyer than a exchanging a few emails casually before I let them come to my house.

Yes, it's a business, but they also have a life and I'm not sure I'd be clamoring to have someone I've talked to only a few times come to my house.

This could be the very reason as I don't let clients come out here without me getting to know who I have on the other end of the phone or email. This time of year with the snow we get and taking care of our dogs really does take up a big part of our day.

We make only a few appointments on the weekends so that we can get our work done and have a little family time too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the honest feedback. It's really great to get the perspective from both sides - those that are breeders and those that are looking for a new companion.

I completely get that some breeders may not want prospective buyers to come to their home without getting to know them a bit first, however, the breeder in question also needs to be willing to have that conversation over the phone vs. ignoring the request and continuously pushing to reserve a puppy with a deposit - site unseen, without asking a single question.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
Only occasionally having a litter, I understand why you have to be careful with having strangers to your home....I have met a few people that I am very glad I did not have come to the house. I don't have a kennel facility - I am looking for something to move to, but it is tough to get something with no close neighbors so the dogs won't be an issue! My dogs live in the house and living in a residential neighborhood with a few around who do not like dogs, I rarely have anyone to the house...most of my pups are sold out of the area anyway. If I do need to meet someone, I load up the dogs and go to a good friends farm where I take them a few times a week anyway....but I am always ready to get together with prospective puppy owners, and will explain the details of where and why when I am talking to them.

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hi , Is the litter old enough to be seen ?
I have people who want to see pups at a week of age. I ask them to wait until they are 5 weeks old and then they can come and spend the entire afternoon (often do), and they are welcome back as many times as they like.

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
I would not consider it a red flag. I would take it at face value, the people have limited times available on the weekend.

One time, I was out working with my puppies, and I got a call, and everything was set up for a visit later in the day with a couple, and the people that called wanted to come and see the puppies, so I said sure.

They came. I think they were PETA people. They were very weird. The lady was afraid of Jenna (the dam of the litter). You want a GSD and you are afraid of a friendly bitch? Ok. They came out, and I am really proud of my puppies and my set up, and was not worried about showing them at all.

They looked at the LEXIT bottles and made a comment about them. Sorry, but in order to ensure FRESH water at all times, those bottles do it. Puppies spill and step in and fight in water bowls. But whatever. They looked at my other dogs and made some weird comments. Then my other people came and they were looking at the puppies, while these people were saying stuff like, I really don't think dogs should be in the house, and on and on and on. Finally they left.

My other people, who came four or five times to visit the litter and pick their pup, asked me if I was going to sell them a puppy. I told them over my dead body would they get one.

But it was a wake up call for me. I am not going to just let people drop on by -- that is scarey anyway. People go puppy shopping, and may go to several breeders, and even a pound before showing up at your home. They can get your dogs and puppies sick.

And when I do have people over, I am going to screen them very good beforehand, and then I might be careful how much I let them see.

People think that finding a good breeder is tough. Finding good buyers, people who you will let inside your home, and into your kennel areas, is also not easy. It is a risk.

I guess lets turn it around. If your breeder e-mailed you and said, you can see the litter tomorrow at 2PM. And if you turn down that time, should the breeder think THAT is a red flag. Maybe you work, well, would you take off work to take your dog to the vet if he needed it?

Some people think you should let people in to see your dogs even if you have no litters available. I don't know about that. I am willing to have people come back over and over again to visit their pup, or to pick a pup, or whatever, but coming when I do not even have any puppies available? Sorry, but the chances are so good that by the time I do have puppies, you will then tell me that you already got a puppy elsewhere. I try to give people all the time they seem to want in looking at the puppies, and making decisions, but somewhere you have to draw the line.

·
Registered
604 Posts
...But it was a wake up call for me. I am not going to just let people drop on by -- that is scarey anyway. People go puppy shopping, and may go to several breeders, and even a pound before showing up at your home. They can get your dogs and puppies sick...
Or they may wait until the breeder is distracted, then pick up a puppy and run...like happened to one local breeder I know.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I think the bigger issue here, is that the breeder's only question to the OP was "which puppy are you interested in?". THAT would be a red flag to me.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think the bigger issue here, is that the breeder's only question to the OP was "which puppy are you interested in?". THAT would be a red flag to me.
Yes, I see that now. UGH.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for feedback with regards to a response I received from a breeder recently. "Another ear", if you will.

Just last week, my best friend in the entire world, my 11 year old GSD Jack, had to be put to sleep. In the midst of all of this, my Wife and I are seriously considering getting another puppy.

I reached out to a breeder that lives within 2 hours of where we live. I exchanged a few emails with them and each time I asked about coming to visit their kennels. After this question was not answered, I sent one last email directly asking them if I could come out that Saturday. This question was asked on a Monday (5 days in advance). I received the following response that day (Monday):

"Hi Pat,
We are busy this weekend. Between work, kids and dogs, we tend to book up fast.
Thank you"

Am I completely overreacting about this response? I immediately took it as a red flag. Or, is this just the way it is with some breeders? I was at least expecting some kind of counter - "sorry, this weekend is bad, but how about next week"?

Thank you very much everyone,

Patrick
Pat,
Looks like they are trying to say: "HINT HINT try again later, much later, like NEVER". Too bad they couldn't be more direct or honest.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts