German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you get started as a breeder?

I've chosen my breed, found a mentor and have researched the possible health problems. I plan on starting with a male and getting as many titles on him as possible, in both conformation and sports as well as breed specific titles.

I won't be getting my prospective male for another few years since I'm working on titling the dogs I have now. But it's never to early to start the research right?

The breed I'm getting in to is the Australian Kelpie.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I love the kelpies! I fostered a GSD/Kelpie and he was such a great dog. Sorry, not a breeder-no advice, but wish you luck!

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
I had a kelpie, truly amazing dogs! Smart Smart !Smart! They are very high energy working dogs. You are in the right direction as far as doing all the research on this breed. Good Luck in your research.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
And you Doreen(skyizzy), were the one who helped me identify my foster!
I miss him so much!!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Kelpies! My boy is a GSD/Kelpie mix. I agree with Skyizzy, amazing dogs, super smart and very high energy. You're in for quite a lot of work! (But it's worth it!
) Do you know if you're going for show or working lines yet?

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Hey Jane, Did you get my pm?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Oranges81 How did you get started as a breeder?

I've chosen my breed, found a mentor and have researched the possible health problems. I plan on starting with a male and getting as many titles on him as possible, in both conformation and sports as well as breed specific titles.

I won't be getting my prospective male for another few years since I'm working on titling the dogs I have now. But it's never to early to start the research right?

I think the steps you've already taken and are planning for the future are excellent ones and will have you well on your way to becoming a good breeder.

One question though... why a male? If your intention is to get into breeding, females are the backbone of any breeding program. Or are you thinking get a male to work and title and really up your involvement in the breed first, and then look into getting a female later down the road when you feel you're ready to breed? If so, that's an excellent idea. Just curious.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Originally Posted By: skyizzyHey Jane, Did you get my pm?
The last one was about my puppy, none since.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild
Originally Posted By: Oranges81 How did you get started as a breeder?

I think the steps you've already taken and are planning for the future are excellent ones and will have you well on your way to becoming a good breeder.

One question though... why a male? If your intention is to get into breeding, females are the backbone of any breeding program. Or are you thinking get a male to work and title and really up your involvement in the breed first, and then look into getting a female later down the road when you feel you're ready to breed? If so, that's an excellent idea. Just curious.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Lol. And I've already got two females in my house so I'm waiting for my oldest to get older so in the mean time, I can always train my male.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: Chance's MomKelpies! My boy is a GSD/Kelpie mix. I agree with Skyizzy, amazing dogs, super smart and very high energy. You're in for quite a lot of work! (But it's worth it!
) Do you know if you're going for show or working lines yet?
I'm looking in to the working lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts