German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do if you contact (email) a breeder and they never email you back? It's not a GSD breeder but this breed doesn't have their own forum so I figured I'd ask here...
I emailed them that I am interested in the breed and in getting a dog and that people recommended them, and asked if they would be willing to talk about their dogs, they said sure, they love to talk about their dogs. So I emailed them back with some more info and questions but they never replied to me. That was about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if I should re send the last message, or send an email asking if they got it-- or just wait? I don't want to pester/annoy them but I would really like to learn about their dogs and I am interested in getting a pup from them in the future (they don't breed often so it might be a while...)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes, resend the email. I think most breeders enjoy any chance they get to talk about the dogs they love so much. They must not have seen the email, or email did not make it (Sometimes this happens) or intended to reply to the email later and forgot (this happens to me all the time LOL).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yup. Send a "Hope my e-mail didn't get eaten." message and go from there. Crazier things have happened.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would send a "I sent an email 4/?/13, not sure if you received it or not" email to feel them out. Ask if it's better to call them instead or not.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Resend. Could be something as simple as being gone to a National Specialty or something and they are not concentrating on their emails.
If they ignore or do not reply to the next one, find another breeder.......

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would move on. When this happened once to me, it turned out the breeder was very disreputable.

Does the breed have a breed club? Email one of the board of directors, or there might be a person specifically assigned to answer questions. (Is it an AKC breed?)

Don't forget that a lot of people compete on the weekends. If it's been over a week, move on.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I would resend. I am continually amazed at the important e-mails that end up in my spam folder.

Send another and comment briefly that you were concerned that your previous one had been eaten by the internet, so you are reaching out again. If that e-mail gets no response, maybe it would be wise to move on to someone else.
Sheilah

·
Registered
542 Posts
E-mail is non-verifiable communication so you can't know if the receiver actually received the message; received it but has not read it for any number of reasons; or received it, read it but has not replied for any number of reasons. People did manage to communicate before the Internet.

Personally, the ability to use the Internet is way down on my criteria list in choosing a good breeder. Some of the best breeders are not Internet savvy perhaps because they are older and that's also why they have decades of experience in the breed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Resend/check, then call if there's a phone number available. If they can't be bothered to offer you support *before* you have one of their pups you can bet they won't be around *after*.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try to contact the breed club for info before but I didn't get any reply, I contacted the person who was listed as the contact for the Midwest region.

The breeder I contacted is listed on the breed club's website and was recommended to me by several people, she is also one of the few breeders of this variety that are in the US, so I don't want to write her off...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'd resend. I found lately that e-mails discussing possible breedings were going into my spam, presumably because they contained the word "stud".

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Usually anytime someone new e-mails you, it is recognized as spam. I don't think the subject is scanned to decipher where it goes....though I wish it would sometimes!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The first contact with the host is denied but as long as it keeps trying, then it should come through. This is how most spam filters work (along with other rules and filters). The e-mail does not get sent to spam just because it is a new contact, this happens way before that level. A lot of spam will only try to make contact once with the host so denying the first one is fairly effective. Legitimate e-mail is normally configured so that it will keep trying until the message goes through.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would try again. Sometimes I receive emails, read them with every intention of replying, put the email down to do something else, and then proceed to ignore the email because in my mind I've responded already.

But if email is your preferred method of communication and the breeder doesn't seem very responsive after another email and a phone call, then maybe the frequency with which this breeder likes to communicate at isn't a good match for you. I know I like breeders who constantly keep updates online, but everyone has their own communication media and frequency preferences...so I guess this is another area to look for a good match between breeder and buyer.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
The first contact with the host is denied but as long as it keeps trying, then it should come through. This is how most spam filters work (along with other rules and filters). The e-mail does not get sent to spam just because it is a new contact, this happens way before that level. A lot of spam will only try to make contact once with the host so denying the first one is fairly effective. Legitimate e-mail is normally configured so that it will keep trying until the message goes through.
I just had 10 e-mails from
'adriana' re:
sent to my spam...didn't open one/deleted them all. There was also one in my regular inbox from adriana with only the re: as the subject line. I marked that one as spam after I deleted the others in the spam folder.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the breeder had responded to my initial email, it was my response after they answered the first that I never got a reply to...so it would be strange for my first email to get through but the second to end up in the spam folder?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts