German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'v made a recent personal intro. in the new members forum and declared that I was going to get a new GSD partner in the April - May time frame(expectant to a spring litter) . I live in Toronto proper but am looking for ethical breeders to select my new companion and am looking for some choices to work/communicate with for the meantime.

I would love and welcome feedback on some choices. I am really seeking a good considerate breeder who cares about the animals they produce and solid care and consideration.

I am particularly worried about being sucked into backyard breeders and dont wish to promote and encourage them and sometimes it is hard to discern the differnence..

Advice, and contacts are very much appreciated.....

Cheers!
Grant

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi folks. I'v made a recent personal intro. in the new members forum and declared that I was going to get a new GSD partner in the April - May time frame(expectant to a spring litter) . I live in Toronto proper but am looking for ethical breeders to select my new companion and am looking for some choices to work/communicate with for the meantime.

I would love and welcome feedback on some choices. I am really seeking a good considerate breeder who cares about the animals they produce and solid care and consideration.

I am particularly worried about being sucked into backyard breeders and dont wish to promote and encourage them and sometimes it is hard to discern the differnence..

Cheers!
Grant
Check out Crosshill Kennels it is near St Jacob's Ontario. Peter is very personable and has been a registered breeder of GSD's for over 25 yrs. Recently Crosshill Kennel was seen on "Pick Your Puppy" the CMT TV show, the kennel aired on the Nov. show. I called the Canadian Kennel Club and was informed he was a member in very good standing. They have beautiful puppies and sometimes wonderful more mature GSD's. Check out their website again it is Crosshill Kennels. There is also a well known breeder in Caledonia, Ontariio about 2 hrs from Toronto called Timberline Kennels and Another one in Ancaster called Glandview Kennels all GSD breeders. All the above breeders have good reputations and are an hr to two hrs away, but there are many more. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Hi there,

I am in Waterloo, ON so fairly close to you. :)

What exactly are looking for in a dog? Do you plan on doing any sport/activities with your new pup? Any particular bloodlines you like?

I have a list compiled and am involved in a few clubs this way so I may be able to help you or atleast steer you in the right direction.

Welcome by the way! :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I would also check with Carmen Duggan (Carmspack) who is on this forum.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
totally opposite from the recommendations that Lora made -- ?!?

I saw the Pick a Puppy show last week -- my sister lost her rescue dog to some illness so was feeling blue and needed a doggy fix. Yuck . to every thing on the show . Yuck . You would NEVER have me participating in this reality show format . Dogs did not exhibit breed specific character .

all of the recommended names have lots and lots and lots of litters and pups a year

a member in good standing just means that you dot your i 's and cross your t's , do your paperwork and provide registration papers in a timely fashion ----- which is not possible sometimes if you are dealing with a recent import that needs to be transfered in a foreign registry . Good standing does not provide any information on the wisdom of the breeding, litter or program, the health, the longevity , the knowledge of the breeder, nothing . All that is necessary is that two registered dogs are sire and dam , (of the same breed) .

good morning --
I am north of Whitby -- been around for 35 years --- one to two litters per year -

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I like Renee's dog committed to canine- there is also a nice working line dog at our club-from Ontario-but I forgot the breeders name-also Alpenhof-nice show lines

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Check out Crosshill Kennels it is near St Jacob's Ontario. Peter is very personable and has been a registered breeder of GSD's for over 25 yrs. Recently Crosshill Kennel was seen on "Pick Your Puppy" the CMT TV show, the kennel aired on the Nov. show. I called the Canadian Kennel Club and was informed he was a member in very good standing. They have beautiful puppies and sometimes wonderful more mature GSD's. Check out their website again it is Crosshill Kennels.
I have a question. I am not picking on you personally, we just have a big problem on this website with people recommending breeders because they have a nice website, or they saw them on TV or in a breed magazine, or they have a friend of a friend of a friend who said they were good. . . . . what is your specific experience with this breeder?

Please everyone, when you recommend a breeder, state what is your experience with them. Do you know them by reputation only? Did you just find their website and figure it looks nice? Have you met some of their dogs? Do you know the breeder personally from trials? Have you bought a puppy from them?

Information like this can be invaluable when recommending a breeder.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Sheena Rhoda , FraserGlen 30 year friend of mine , one to two litters per year.

She has run obedience classes for over 30 years - Brampton Obedience. Her students were high scoring in trial -- huge shows Credit Valley year ender etc.

Her baseline breeding stock is Carmspack. Then we put our heads together and bring in outside genetics that work for her, for me , for another member of a breeders collaborative efforts to produce working dogs in some numbers , while maintaining individual limited litters per year . This way we get to spend more time with the pups we have .

She and I raise the pups in the home .

Was an inspector for Ontario Humane so always involved with dogs and dog welfare concerns.

no web site at moment -- 905 877 5569

there are some good breeders not on the radar screen

Carmen

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Grant welcome to the forum.. You will get lots of great info, sadly some will be totally opposite some of the other, so read everything, take a deep breath, and visit places, ask questions, get the questions from on here. my personal list of requirements:
1/ health, i must see proof of hips xrayed and certified, I won't trust prelims. I need that OVC( Ont Vet Cert from Guelph Univ) Or OFA

2/ temperment, I must see the dogs, If they are a kennel i want to see other dogs from the kennel. I would love to see proof they were stable and not afraid of gun shots, (thunder), and not afraid in new situations and places. Becasue a scared dog either wants to run off or bite. I want neither.

3/ titles, any titles, Ch, RN, CD sch...any title means they are doing something with the dog, again a dog who is out and about is better behaved and more likely to have better temperment, or they might hide them, CH= Champion, looks only but at a show with hundreds of people and dogs at least they are out. RN=rally novice, a form of obedience that is very handler friendly and easy for the dog, there are many advanced rally titles too, CD= another form of obedience a bit harder and more regimented, again advancd titles available, sch=schutzhund, designed for the German Shepherd, has 3 parts tracking, obedience and protection(attack), again higher levels available.

I haven't even gotten to herding titles, yep these are herding dogs, then agility titles, support worker dogs, etc...

4/ the looks of the dog, some people love one line over the other, there are great in ALL, but you won't perhaps like all of them. Some people will say all Am/Can showline are weak in the rear, slant back, some yes not all. Some will say German showline are roachy, crippled back end, not all, some will say working line are not what they should look like, not black and tan, not longer than tall, etc, again some not all.

Look, read and above all listen, try for a pup from a line or kennel with few health concerns, with very rock solid temperment with the ability to work and learn. One who can fit into your lifestyle and family. Then be Honest with the breeder!!!! I will NEVER do schutzhund, I don't like the attack, but that doesn't mean a Gs is NOT for me, I love obedience, play at herding, tracking and agility. My dogs like everything I like, they work for me.

Good luck, and I hope my info helps and I am ready for any corrections from those that know better. I alos live in Ontario and can reccommend some breeders who will give more reccommendations as I am an owner and only reluctantly a breeder of 1 litter for the breeder of my 2. Please if you are on facebook add me Trudy Calvert and see the pcs of my guys. i love sharing

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Carnspack, I took my English setter to brampton obedience school in 1993/4. I liked her. In fact if you have an 1994 (I think) copy of dogs annual when she had a full page add with about 30 dogs (guessing) on a park bench, my Murphy is in the middle.

She was great with the dogs.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Carmen, it's at times like this, when I read your very knowledgeable posts, that I wish you were involved with show line dogs, or could provide me with a recommendation.

I am incredibly jealous of folks who benefit from your advice and your service.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts

Cheers!
Grant
Lucky you, you are close to Carmspack. I have never met her or her dogs personally, but she has a wealth of knowledge which she is not stingy about sharing, and truly cares about the breed. Her track record speaks for itself. I would purchase a pup from her in a heartbeat, were I in the market for another one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
** This post pushes our breeder bashing line. Please keep these types of comments to PM's. Thank you, ADMIN**

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Carnspack, I took my English setter to brampton obedience school in 1993/4. I liked her. In fact if you have an 1994 (I think) copy of dogs annual when she had a full page add with about 30 dogs (guessing) on a park bench, my Murphy is in the middle.

She was great with the dogs.
Thanks for the recommendation - but that was not me -- that was Sheena Rodda who had FraserGlen kennels and ran Brampton Obedience . It was she who ran the ad for her obedience classes.
Straight shooter, good classes , great results for her clients - many going on to become top ranking obedience competitors .

Her dogs , GSD, were all from me with the exception of one that she joked about -- real sharp little female nick named black witch . It was almost a parallel kennel and the majority of combinations were recommended or suggested by myself. Large ratio of those dogs ended up with local and US police depts, including a few with the RCMP .
I found this female for her Brie Aus Der Karpatenvorland - German Shepherd Dog -- (I had the brother) -- Brie was bred to Carmspack Jord brother to Carmspack Gore - German Shepherd Dog
Another female that I found for her is Karlie Vom Dujons - German Shepherd Dog with a game plan in mind -- eventually breeding her to Como vom Parchimer Land - German Shepherd Dog --- certainly looking for some strong natural trackers -- and herding heritage

These are co-operative efforts .

Carmen

1 - 20 of 32 Posts