German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello board, we are thinking of adding a German Shepherd to our family and was hoping for some references on a good breeder in the area. I have been researching them a fair bit and cannot tell if it is better to go with one of the show breeders or working breeders. She will just be a family dog but there seems to be debate on whether the GSDs at the shows even represent the breed anymore or if they have too many hip problems, etc. I have searched the board and found a lot of helpful info, so any information, suggestions, breeders, etc. you might have would be more than helpful. Thank you so much for your time - Adrian Meli

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For just a family pet, any line of GSD will work. If you are concerned about potential health problems, then look for a breeder that screens for HD/ED, CERF'd eyes and the like. Any dog/puppy you get will need obedience classes no matter the line. Make sure the breeder is in good standing with the AKC also. You can go the OFA's website and look up health clearances on the dogs too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Home

I have two dogs that came from this breeder (Connecticut) and they are both family dogs! Gentle, bright, and full of love . . . but you will get that with any GSD. Good-Luck . . . you won't go wrong with this breed!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
*I've always hated the word "inventory"..when used in conjunction with breeding, or selling*.....(just a quirk of mine).
JMO..."nothing meant negative towards the website or kennel itself....just an observation.
Robin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts