German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I am a brand new member- I apologize for any mistakes I may make.
We recently lost our 13 y.o. beloved GSD Lexy last month. She was the best
"Furry child" we could have ever asked for.... My children, ages 8 and 11, do not know life without a big dog in it:(
I am searching for a reputable breeder in northest Pa or near- I am only looking for a pet/family member- not show or working. I would adopt an older dog, but my kids have asked for a puppy, since they never saw Lexy as a puppy.
We got her from a BYB, which I know now is not a great idea. We were relatively lucky, she was very healthy - besides needing an ACL repair at age 3, and developing DM at age 11 1/2.
I have read your forums online, and everyone is so knowledgable - I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Getting a puppy shipped in is not an option- my husband would like to see the puppy first before purchasing. Any help/advice you can give is greatly appreciated! Thank you-

Oh, and I am not particular about lines (German, American etc) or male/female. I just want a very large dog, preferably dark, black and red.....

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If you don't mind a white GSD ...

My geography of PA is not great, I'm not sure where Mercersburg, PA is ... but I was given a great dog from Vantasia/Sugarloaf kennel when she was 15 months old. She's extremely intelligent, outgoing, not afraid of anything that I've noticed, gets along with everyone, and is a fantastic companion.
Welcome to Sugarloaf Shepherds - Championship German Shepherd Dogs of White Coat Color

Faith

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not NE PA, but Pittsburgh... Lee aka Wolfstraum on here has excellent dogs... working lines, but are awesome companions as well. My Elsa (Enni van Klipgaarden) was from her E litter that was bred and born in Belgium. Great health, temperament, and just awesome dogs... not sure when she might be having a litter... but check with her.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take a look at Jim from Home.

He breeds working line but most (or at least a good amount) of his dogs go to family/companion homes. I met his last litter and they were adorable! He has another litter on the ground now, I'm guessing they are 4 or 5 weeks old? He is also extremely knowledgeable and a great local resource.

Some other local breeders that I haven't had a lot of interaction with are:
German Shepherd Breeder PA - Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs Home - German Shepherd Breeder VA - German Shepherd Breeder MD - German Shepherd Breeder OH - German Shepherd Breeder DC - German Shepherd Breeder NY - German Shepherd Breeder NJ
von Wolfstraum Working German Shepherds Schutzhund Sport
Johnson-Haus German Shepherd Breeder/Dog Trainer, Frederick Maryland

Art at Von der Zahnburg -          German Shepherd Dogs for the Work is awesome and very helpful as well, he doesn't have many litters though.

I'm also from the area and looking, but the breeders I'm looking at are 5+ hours away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts