German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeder Help (Non GSD)

4K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  LaRen616 
#1 ·
I live in the U.S., Mississippi to be exact.

Before I decided on my current breeder, I found a breeder in my area. However, I was so impressed with what I saw that I knew the price would be sky high, at $2000 or above.

So, I stuck with my current breeder for a few months and one day, today, I was just being curious and I asked the breeder that impressed me how much do they charge for puppies limited
registered.

I was shocked at the price. You charge that much for that much quality?! Then, you're less than 200 miles away and I won't have to pay shipping. I can just come get the puppy!

Here's the problem:

I like my current breeder. I like the fact that she is a trainer, I like the dogs she produces. BUT, her dog's pedigrees aren't as good as the breeder who impressed me. Both breeders have their pros and cons, but I really like both of them.

I need help! Could someone give me a different view of the breeders?

Current breeder: www.echoingwindsiberians.webs.com
Impressive breeder: www.mikaylakennels.com

Someone, help me!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not all that up on sibes but the impressive breeder has only one dog that's been OFA'd and none of them are titled. I don't see any sign that these dogs have been worked either. So what's so impressive about that?

I did not look at your current breeder's website.

#3 ·
I'm not all that up on sibes but the impressive breeder has only one dog that's been OFA'd and none of them are titled. I don't see any sign that these dogs have been worked either. So what's so impressive about that?

I did not look at your current breeder's website.
What impressed me was the pedigrees. Lots of CH.

I'm going to think a while on this.

#4 ·
Couldn't get the first breeders site to open. The "impressive" breeders website had music, which immediately turns me off ;).
As to the pedigrees, nothing to be impressed about. The 3-4 pedigrees I looked at had champions, but none in the first 2-3 generations. One male had one champion parent, but it was the only non "Mikayla" dog in the pedigree. I don't see a single dog that she has bred that has achieved any titles, so basically a BYB, unless I'm missing something.

#5 ·
i cant offer any assistance. I'm not a fan of husky's but they both have beautiful dogs. I think this might be a go with your gut kind of thing. Good luck in your dilema!

#6 ·
I couldn't get Echoing Wind Siberians site to ever come up completely. (They need to use something besides a free site. :)) I think I caught a glimpse of something that said they got their first Husky in 2000? Would like to see more of the site but it's not cooperating.

Mikayla Kennels- saw some champs in the pedigree but many were a few generations back. Do you know if Mikayla shows their dogs currently? (just curious)

#8 ·
Girl, you are one of the most indecisive people on the planet! :)

Ditto on the first breeder's site, but I"m not seeing anything impressive about breeder #2. Stick with your first choice and stop questioning yourself!

Either way--egads! if breeder #2 is over 2K for a dog!

#9 ·
For those having trouble, I googled the name of the first link and found this:

Home - Echoing Wind Siberians

Have you googled either of these kennels, to see what people are saying? When I was looking for GSDs, the first kennel I looked at seemed okay, until I googled her - and found a lot of negative stuff. Also, have you been to either place?

Right away I see that your current breeder has only been doing this for 10 years - actually, that's when she got her first one, so she hasn't been breeding that long at all. I don't think that's quite long enough, personally, I've only ever bought dogs from people doing it at least twice that long. She can't possibly have accumulated expert knowledge of the breed, showing experience, titled dogs and a lot of litters in that short of time.

Which pup are you considering from the other breeder? The second littler listed has one male available, his father has never even been shown, so I'd pass over him. The first litter listed comes from better stock, both parents have been shown and have won titles. Only he is OFA certed, and it's concerning that none of the others are, because she says the male came from elsewhere - THAT person OFA'd him, she doesn't seem to have her dogs OFA certed, and I think you need to ask her why.

If it were me, first of all I'd continue shopping around, if you haven't finished already. I looked at dozens and dozens of breeders before I got Rem, it took me a long time. If these two are the only suitable options, I'd go with the impressive breeder. Even if the other breeder is a trainer, the puppies are 8 weeks old - she has not trained them, it'll be up to YOU. So I'd go with the impressive pups. I like that Sulley male.

I have a local friend who breeds Siberians. If you still need help, I can ask him what he thinks, so let me know.

#10 ·
In addition to the other comments, I noticed the Echoing Wind Siberians is breeding a couple dogs registered with APRI (America's Pet Registry, Inc) and CKC which I assume is the Continental Kennel Club.
America's Pet Registry
Continental Kennel Club

#16 ·
In addition to the other comments, I noticed the Echoing Wind Siberians is breeding a couple dogs registered with APRI (America's Pet Registry, Inc) and CKC which I assume is the Continental Kennel Club.
America's Pet Registry
Continental Kennel Club
I saw the same thing but then I thought I saw that some of the dogs are from Canada so it could have been Canadian Kennel Club. Would check that out for sure though.

#12 ·
I have a friend who has a Mal and those dogs on the website look awful Mal-ish to me.

My friends guy comes from excellent working stock here in Canada and is currently working with a team of Sibes and another Mal.

I don't know much about the breed at all, but those dogs look a lot like her Mal.

#13 ·
I asked Mikayla why their dogs aren't OFA certified and titled. They responded, "Why do you care". :mad:

I talked to Mikayla on the phone yesterday and I could have sworn that man said he titled his dogs when I asked. Being lied to, in my opinion, is a HUGE red flag!

Back to the drawing board I go.

#17 ·
I asked Mikayla why their dogs aren't OFA certified and titled. They responded, "Why do you care". :mad:
Back to the drawing board I go.
Better to find out now than after you put a deposit down on one of their pups.

I did see just yesterday that the Siberian Husky Rescue group that covers Mississippi has a 2 year old healthy male being surrendered by owners. (they're moving and can't take him) I think his name was Niko. Have you considered doing rescue at all?

Another question. How do huskies tolerate the heat down south?

#15 ·
I'm not into huskies, but I see nothing with either breeder that would make me look at them twice or that I would consider impressive. I can't comment on pedigrees as I don't know what is good or bad in husky pedigrees, but the lack of titles and health testing and apparent breeding focus beyond producing puppies would have me looking elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of husky breeders out there who do title and health test to choose from.

Personally, I think you need to slow down and do a LOT more research before putting in reservations with any breeders. Just a couple months ago you came on here wanting a GSD, and despite people telling you to take your time researching you were in a big rush to reserve a pup from a breeder. Now recently you've switched to another breed that is absolutely nothing like the GSD in temperament, and rushed to put in a deposit and pick a name, again it seems without much forethought or even contacting breeders (you assumed the closer one would have high prices, but you didn't even bother to contact them and ask before deciding to go with the other).

I know the entire puppy purchasing process can be quite exciting, but it is vitally important to avoid impulsive behavior and first make sure the type of dog you are looking at is one that is appropriate for your personality, goals and lifestyle, and second once that is settled to research thoroughly before making decisions.

#22 ·
I'm not into huskies, but I see nothing with either breeder that would make me look at them twice or that I would consider impressive. I can't comment on pedigrees as I don't know what is good or bad in husky pedigrees, but the lack of titles and health testing and apparent breeding focus beyond producing puppies would have me looking elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of husky breeders out there who do title and health test to choose from.

Personally, I think you need to slow down and do a LOT more research before putting in reservations with any breeders. Just a couple months ago you came on here wanting a GSD, and despite people telling you to take your time researching you were in a big rush to reserve a pup from a breeder. Now recently you've switched to another breed that is absolutely nothing like the GSD in temperament, and rushed to put in a deposit and pick a name, again it seems without much forethought or even contacting breeders (you assumed the closer one would have high prices, but you didn't even bother to contact them and ask before deciding to go with the other).

I know the entire puppy purchasing process can be quite exciting, but it is vitally important to avoid impulsive behavior and first make sure the type of dog you are looking at is one that is appropriate for your personality, goals and lifestyle, and second once that is settled to research thoroughly before making decisions.
I haven't put a deposit down for a husky, but I get where you're coming from.

I'm sorry. I just want a dog very badly. I'll do more research and try my best to be more patient.

But when do I know that I've done enough research? Is there a time limit, amount limit, etc?

I don't know.

#19 ·
I
I need help! Could someone give me a different view of the breeders?

Current breeder: www.echoingwindsiberians.webs.com
Impressive breeder: www.mikaylakennels.com

Someone, help me!

I'm not trying to be harsh here bit IMO neither of those breeders are what I would consider "impressive". I would say they are similar quality and both are what I would consider "pet breeders". I know a bit about Sibes and while a few of the dogs on the sites appear to be show potential dogs, quite a few are obviously not. If they were breeding for working Sibes (sledding) I wouldn't expect to see show type dogs but they aren't. Their pedigrees are typical of pet breeders - some CHs but few and far between and some use of alternate registries (APRI and CKC). I don't have a problem if people want to show in alternate registries but in this case, they are doing so because IMO the dogs probably wouldn't finish in AKC.

The pictures on the websites show mostly pet-type snapshots of ungroomed dogs. There is nothing wrong with showing some pictures of the dogs being pets but putting up pictures of dogs with dirty, clumpy looking coats IMO shows lack of pride in the dogs. Obviously not every dog is always kept in perfect condition grooming wise but there's no reason to feature them not looking their best on your website. Also there are few to no stacked pictures of the dogs and what there is, most aren't done in a knowledgeable way - taken at a downward angle, showing dogs carrying their tails over their back (serious fault), too dark to see the dog, etc.

To be honest, I think you could likely get similar quality puppies much cheaper in your local classifieds. I'm not saying their dogs aren't fine dogs or that you wouldn't be happy with a puppy from them. But if you are looking for a serious breeder who has quality dogs, you probably need to look else where. Are you hoping to get into showing? I think you mentioned saying you want to get more involved in dogs? If so, get the best puppy you can. It's hard enough starting off in showing without starting off with a less than show quality dog and breeders who can't really offer you any help because they aren't real active in showing.

This is what you should be expecting to see with a serious breeder. Titled dogs in every generation or close to it, show quality dogs featured in quality pictures on the website:
Jo-Kar Siberians, Ohio

I don't personally know the breeder above but know several people with very nice dogs from her. Perhaps if you contacted her, she could point you in the right direction for a quality Sibe breeder in your area? Or check out the Siberian Husky Club of America's website to see if they have a regional club in your area or contact them and ask about local members/breeders: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

#20 ·
This is what you should be expecting to see with a serious breeder. Titled dogs in every generation or close to it, show quality dogs featured in quality pictures on the website:
Jo-Kar Siberians, Ohio

I don't personally know the breeder above but know several people with very nice dogs from her. Perhaps if you contacted her, she could point you in the right direction for a quality Sibe breeder in your area? Or check out the Siberian Husky Club of America's website to see if they have a regional club in your area or contact them and ask about local members/breeders: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

Now those are some nice dogs with pedigrees to back them up. I don't know much about Sibes myself, but if I were looking that would be a great place to start. Not sure how you research the temperament on a non working/herding breed, I would think you would have to join a forum or list and start learning about the different bloodlines and what they produce. Of course if any of them have obedience titles or a CGC or ATTS certificate that is a good jumping off point.

#25 ·
Since you're interested in the conformation champions behind a puppy, why don't you go to a few dog shows, talk to a few of the breeders, get an idea of what you like about the dogs, what you don't, and look for a breeder who has the dogs closest to your goal.

#26 ·
I've been there in being anxious but when you are doing whats right you don't have to second guess it you'll know it's all right. I spent forever second guessing what breed we were going to get since my husband and I agreed on 2 dogs we knew at least 1 would be a GSD but wasn't sure if it would be the first or second and what the other breed would be etc.. We finally decided we just couldn't go any longer without a GSD and decided it would for sure be our first dog. (We've had dogs before but spent a few years overseas animal free) After deciding on a breed we researched what we wanted to do with the dog as far as sports show etc... well for us it was no doubt sports but wasn't sure exactly what so after researching everything we knew exactly what we wanted to do and then knew what lines etc.. we needed in order to fill what we wanted and could handle then started in on breeders that bred for what we wanted. Found our breeder and now just waiting on a puppy have not even had the urge to check out other breeders because I don't have a second thought in my mind.

#27 ·
I'm listening to you guys, but right now I don't want think about a dog right now. I'm gonna take a break. When I come back from the break, I'll probably start all the way over, to the point where I'm considering whether or not getting a dog would be best for me.

I'm sorry for all the inconvience I caused you guys and I appreciate you guys taking a moment to help me out. Thank you.

#28 ·
Good idea GSDFan. I think that while you're taking your break, you'll reach a decision, and you'll know in your heart that its right. I also think it would be an awesome idea to foster or volunteer during your break. Best case scenario, you'll find the dog for you. Worst case scenario, you've done some good in the world.

#30 ·
I know I want a dog. I know I would like a GSD someday. I would also like to own a Golden Retriever and own a siberian husky again.

The problem is, I can't make up my mind. It's not clear cut like other decisions I've made throughout life.

I want a dog, I know that from the heart. But my mind questions whether or not a dog would be the best thing for me right now.

I don't know what to do or why I'm having so much trouble making up my mind.

I think the best thing to do is to wait til I at least get my B.S. or after I finish vet school. However, that would be 7 years from now. I don't think I could wait 7 years.

I see people in college with dogs and it makes me believe that if I really want it, I can make it happen.

I don't know, I just don't know.

#34 ·
I know I want a dog. I know I would like a GSD someday. I would also like to own a Golden Retriever and own a siberian husky again.

The problem is, I can't make up my mind. It's not clear cut like other decisions I've made throughout life.

I want a dog, I know that from the heart. But my mind questions whether or not a dog would be the best thing for me right now.

I don't know what to do or why I'm having so much trouble making up my mind.

I think the best thing to do is to wait til I at least get my B.S. or after I finish vet school. However, that would be 7 years from now. I don't think I could wait 7 years.

I see people in college with dogs and it makes me believe that if I really want it, I can make it happen.

I don't know, I just don't know.
This is just my opinion, I think when you have your own place, have the time and money to get a dog, you should start with a Golden Retriever. IMO I think they would be alot easier to handle than a GSD or a Siberian Husky.

#31 ·
Go to the nearest shelter, pound or rescue and find a 5-7 year old dog.

You will learn about dog ownership, you will learn hands on training and handling but you will have a dog that doesn't need hours of physical exercise a day.

It's the best of both worlds. Get a companion, give an older dog a home and have a dog that can be at home during 8-12 hours of classes.

#32 ·
First of all, I got your PM, and I asked my buddy what he thought - he said he would never buy a dog that didn't come from OFA certed dogs in it's pedigree. He also had concerns about the short time the first breeder has been doing it, he said his family has owned huskies all his life, so he's built up a lifelong store of knowledge and show wins, and had several before he even started breeding in the first place. He doesn't think someone who got a husky, liked it, and started breeding is a proper excuse to breed them.

The other one, he said there weren't any remarkable dogs in the pedigrees, and a few of their dogs have less than perfect confirmation and appear to be inexperienced and unshown. If it's truly a dog of good breeding you're after, he suggested you find a SIberian group and search around, you may end up going very far to find the right dog.

Anyway, I'm now seeing you're going back and forth again - so here is what I myself suggest, on the same note as rvadog:

If you're going to be a full time student with long hours, a puppy is the last thing you need. They are so much work, I remember when I had my 2 yr. old cousin here for a few months, and now that I have a puppy again (it'd been 8 yrs. since my last big puppy) I found the terrible twos MUCH easier! It would be unfair to both you and the puppy you'd get, I think, if you'll be devoting so much time to school.

I think you should go to a shelter, rescue group, or both, or all of them in your area. Find one that has a matching program, where you'll be asked to fill out a questionnaire on your lifestyle, and the adoption coordinators will then select the most suitable dog on the floor for you. They'll decide what dog is a perfect match for you, and if none of them are, go to the next shelter or ask them to contact you when they have one come in that'd fit with you.

Corgis, GSDs, Huskies, etc. are all very active, high energy working breeds that need a lot of time for training and exercise. Given your situation, I think either an older dog or a toy breed is more suitable for you. You can always get a GSD later in life.

But if I have any other advice, it'd be this: Don't just get a dog for the sake of getting a dog. Search and research and look and ask around, look at dozens of dogs/pups and don't get one on impulse, make sure it's the right dog with the right circumstances. I couldn't even count how many breeders I called and how many websites I looked at before I got Rem - it was a lot of work, but worth it, as I found my perfect boy.

If it's meant to be for you, it will happen. I'm sure you will have the perfect dog soon. :)

#33 ·
I also see your going back and forth again:(

My suggestion, FOSTER a dog, this way it doesn't have to be a permanent thing should you choose not to or can't handle it. In fact FOSTER a puppy!

I know you have gotten tons of suggestions over the past few months, to volunteer at a shelter, volunteer at a vet, volunteer at a doggie school, VOLUNTEER, but yet you haven't done so, you keep talking about it, but you haven't gone out there and 'done it'.

While you can't make a decision on this, you certainly have no reason to NOT go out and volunteer someplace to help you make that decision.

If your really serious about it, get out there and VOLUNTEER now.

#35 ·
Have you owned a golden retriever _I have and it certainly was not easier than a german shepherd-and I have a working line. My golden was a very active dog-very. She could go on a 10 mile run and still have tons of energy left In comparsion my working line shepherd is much easier -she works and she settles down

#36 ·
Have you owned a golden retriever _I have and it certainly was not easier than a german shepherd-and I have a working line. My golden was a very active dog-very. She could go on a 10 mile run and still have tons of energy left In comparsion my working line shepherd is much easier -she works and she settles down
No I have never owned a Golden Retriever but I have met several and they were/are alot calmer and alot more laid back than my GSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.