German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deposit on a GSD puppy with a well known breeder.. The puppies were born last week. I called the breeder to see how things went and to get the gender mix as I’m looking for a male puppy. The breeder informed me the Dam is from Belgium and he’s having problems getting the appropriate papers to register her with the AKC. He wants to know if I will still take the puppy if he drops the price. Looking at $1200-$1500 instead of $2500. I have mixed feeling on this and was hoping for some advice.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would request my deposit back and walk away. It may all work out in the long run, but why take the chance of getting a pup that can't be registered especially for that kind of money.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I guess it all depends on what the problem is regarding the paperwork. Did he buy the dog with paperwork?, did he buy the dog from someone other than the owner?, can not get a Biescheinigung? How long has he had the dog? Did he import the dog already bred? I waited a year for papers on a puppy imported from Belgium. Female I imported from the Czech Republic, already bred, I had the papers before the puppies were born. Just imported a Czech female, and although just received all the paperwork, it wasn't signed off and stamped by the CMKU (Czech Kennel Club) so I have to send the paperwork back to get everything corrected and in the proper sequence, before I can submit to AKC. There are legit reasons why the paperwork takes a longer time. Sometimes they just don't get in a hurry over in Europe, other times it's just a snafu.

I guess in your instance, you need to decide how you feel about the situation. What are you wanting to do with the pup. Do you feel comfortable waiting on the paperwork, as it could take some time? You will have to make that decision and go with your gut. The breeder is discounting the pup to about half price, but again, depending on what your purpose is for the pup, that may help you make your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts